Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish house spiders bite?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

marset wrote: »
    I am sitting here not going to go to bed. A massive spider went into the bedroom and up the wall so I got the flat mop and squashed it to the wall, when I moved the mop it ran down behind the wardrobe. Then it reappeared so the other half hit it with a stick, I heard a cruch but it got up and run behind the wardrobe again. My sister told me that in a liftime we swallow about 7 spiders so I sleep with the duvet in my mouth...
    I am terrified of them.
    You don't eat any spiders in your sleep; that was made up to demonstrate that people will believe any old guff they read on the internet. http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp

I'm not a big fan of spiders, though I leave the orb webs that occasionally show up in the kitchen because they stay in one place, so I know where they are, and they eat flies. If any of the big ones shows up either the dogs will put it outside or OH will eat it, or is that the other way round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sue800

was mowing my lawn one day when i felf a sharp bite on my finger..looked down to see a strange looking spider stuck to my finger..took a few attempts of shaking my hand to get him off..looked like a bee sting and i still have a lump 4 years later..my hubby caught him in a jar and we showed many ppl who had never seen one like it..never investigated further,we just put the jar housing the spider into the bin..im absolutely terrified since :(

You shouldn't have done that. When a spider is killed it's body releases an odour that sends out a 'cry for help' signal. Any spiders in the area will go and try help the injured spider. Your house probably had ten times more spiders this morning than last night.

please tell me you're joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shouldn't have opened this thread... I have had to kill several huge spiders this week and am jumpy about them now.

NB all spiders have jaws and can bite and some folk are allergic to the bites.

Shivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Do spiders hibernate this time of year? I have this quite big fecker hanging on the wall the past few weeks. He moves around a bit but doesn't go far. As much as I hate spiders I haven't the heart to throw him out the window in this weather. Would he die if I did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

Caught a spider earlier who incl. legs was about the size of the top of a pint glass, running across the floors. Freaked me out so much... was sitting up in bed on the laptop just now and another ran across my arm, afraid to sleep now! I pulled up some really dusty venetian blinds yesterday and I'm afraid I disturbed some sort of army of them :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

If you want to get rid of Spiders in a Humane way.

The answer to your spider problem is Sugar!

Just throw a load of sugar onto each web.

It wont kill or get rid of your spiders, but it will rot their teeth.

So the little buggers cant bite your you!!

Pesky Spiders

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Pesky Spiders

Rotting there teeth! if thats true its crueler than just squishing them.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Rotting there teeth! if thats true its crueler than just squishing them.

Or feed them sausages, it will give them heart desease .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Pesky Spiders

Was just about to grab the bag of sugar then I seen the teeth part you nast spider killer:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Irish house spiders do bite - it's a bite like catching your finger on a thorn. One bit me a couple of years ago, I'm still mentally scared by the experience.

There was an article in the paper about spiders last week (and how they come in to the house at this time of the year - shudder). Anyway, the biggest Irish house spider ever found was FIVE INCHES across. FIVE INCHES! If I ever see a five inch one in here it can have the house, I'll be moving out.

AND they can live for up to five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sue800

u sure it wasnt a horse??hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Cedar oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works honest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Irish house spiders do bite - One bit me a couple of years ago, I'm still mentally scared by the experience.

AND they can live for up to five years.

I've a grim experience. Was never afraid of spiders and didnt mind them being about that much. Was out walking the dog throwing sticks and looked down; just to see a spider in my hip and te fecker BIT ME through a fleece & two layers of pockets in my carpenter pants. That was 10 days ago. Have now beento the doctor twice abd am on three courses of antibiotics with a leg that from hip to knee looks like an angry balloon. The spider gave me blood poisoning and cellulitis. It's now a e200 bite and counting... Not impressed. Am not feeling the goodwill towards spiders anymore.
    For the record, it was small, as big as your thumbnail, brown wih blobs of what looked like green moss on it's back. And we met outdoors if that makes people sleep better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    please tell me you're joking

Afraid not Starla. It's been scientifically proven. The 'cry for help' chemical doesn't wash off your hands, clothes, floor etc. And it's said to attract spiders for upto a week after the 'killing'. The chemical stimulates the neptulus gland inside the spiders brain and acts like adrenalin making the spider more aggressive and stronger. Spiders in this state have been known to scurry across floors at twice the normal speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Don't know but the ones out here do. Got two in July as I was online. Both got very very inchy after 24 hours. Then itch lasted for another 48 hours. Not much swelling ........ just a red bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ninjaholic

I got bitten badly by a large garden spider of all things years and years ago. I used to feed it flies that I'd caught in a jam jar, then let the flies loose into her web. She had a ball eating them. Then one day I wasn't looking at what I was doing and the skank bit me. She was pretty big for a garden spider. I know it's a female because I think she ate the male that knocked her up, and the window had a big sac of babies that I only noticed after I'd squashed her for biting me out of reflex. Felt bad about it only cause I had a lot of fun watching her eat the flies that drove me nuts alive. Got a bit infected for about 2 months before it started healing properly at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ninjaholic

Actually, that reminds me, had a very weird experience once with a large domestic brown spider.

I'd called into my parents one night, around 10pm, but all the lights were off. I stepped into the hallway, and shortly took a left into the front room and turned on the light.

Something moving on the floor caught my eye.

I looked and there was nothing there.

I saw something though. I know it.

Looking more carefully, the li'l ****er had quickly moved from one of the white tiles to the black one. As if it knew that if it was on the white tiles I'd see it clearly. Could barely make it out on the black tile it was on. Was big too, and was low to the ground, like it was trying to hide.

Strange stuff.

I used to watch the zebra spiders on the wall at the back of my parents house. They'd spin around in circles and run backwards and sideways playing with each other. Was some surreal stuff growing up around such weird spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MiyakoCat

I was just falling to sleep there when I heard something moving on the floor. I turned on my lamp and looked to see a fricken HUGE spider crawling on some paper. He (or she) quickly ran out of site as I fled the room for help. :( Afraid it will crawl on me now.
    Still freaked that I could actually HEAR the thing moving. Eeeeee....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I got bitten once when I moved into a new house. I was putting towels in the top of the wardrobe (and I'm short so I was reaching up where I couldn't see) when all of a sudden I got a sharp pain in my finger. I pulled my finger back to see two teeny tiny puncture marks in it and when I got the step later I could see that I had accidentally killed a spider, who was obviously defending him/herself. The bite was less painful than a bee sting and healed a lot quicker.

I felt bad for the spider though. I never kill them deliberately, I just use a glass and card to move them to the garden. They're great little housekeepers and so long as they aren't in my bedroom I'm content to let them be. It's the thought that they could touch me that freaks me out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

marset wrote: »
    I am sitting here not going to go to bed. A massive spider went into the bedroom and up the wall so I got the flat mop and squashed it to the wall, when I moved the mop it ran down behind the wardrobe. Then it reappeared so the other half hit it with a stick, I heard a cruch but it got up and run behind the wardrobe again. My sister told me that in a liftime we swallow about 7 spiders so I sleep with the duvet in my mouth...
    I am terrified of them.
    your sister is very naughty for telling you fibs.......she deserves a good spanking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

they are definately not just in the north,
    they are in the rep. too
    i used see them as a kid and used find them strange
    Woodlouse spiders are the only ones capable of bitting humans in Ireland. House spiders are fine because their jaws cannot open wide enough to bite humans. So far they have only been reported in the north of Ireland. They range in size from around 3/4 of an inch, or a little less than 2 cm.

Picture of a woodlouse spider-Dysdera crocata.

dys-crocata_8378_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

ninjaholic wrote: »
    Actually, that reminds me, had a very weird experience once with a large domestic brown spider....

...Looking more carefully, the li'l ****er had quickly moved from one of the white tiles to the black one. As if it knew that if it was on the white tiles I'd see it clearly. Could barely make it out on the black tile it was on. Was big too, and was low to the ground, like it was trying to hide.

Strange stuff.
    I just had the same thing happen with one of the massive brown ones! (hence why Im posting on boards at 1:23 in the morning!)
    One of the HUGE ones was crawling over my clothes on a chair, I turned the light on by chance and spotted it, and it legged it over my grey jeans onto a brown T-shirt, then crouched really low and froze!!
    I think they are getting smarter as well as bigger... :eek:
    I caught him under a purpose built spider trap (half a water bottle!) and put him out the window, but now I'm convinced there's more just waiting to get me...!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Last nighy i caught the first one since last winter. He was big but definitely wasn't fully grown yet, I usually catch them in a large pint glass and put them outside for the Neighbour below to worry about mwahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

:eek:
    cvisser wrote: »
    now these pictures are taken when i caught him in the pint Glass.....
    That's the same as the ones hanging out in my house for the last 3 years.
    *Page* wrote: »
    get a cat, they love to eat spiders
    Hmm, my cats wreck the place in pursuit of spiders :(
    MiyakoCat wrote: »
    I was just falling to sleep there when I heard something moving on the floor. I turned on my lamp and looked to see a fricken HUGE spider crawling on some paper. He (or she) quickly ran out of site as I fled the room for help. :( Afraid it will crawl on me now.
    Still freaked that I could actually HEAR the thing moving. Eeeeee....
    Yea, that's freaking me out too, the fact that they are so big that you can hear the feckers walking across the room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

What did the Spider order at McDonald's?

A Big Mac and flies.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Spray each room with Chestnut Oil.. works wonders:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just though I would post a pic of my "pet" spider.

So what type? Trapped in Pint Glass BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 redoulus

I saw one of these bad boys last night. Seeing it was a nice and sunny day out, I thought it would be a good idea to paint my patio decking before the snow starts.
    Went out and saw this spider, I kid you not, the size of the titanic siting on the wall, just staring at me with those eight eyes, each the size of a bowling ball. I screamed at first, then froze and then I decided that if the government wasn't gonna do something about these spiders, I'll have to do something about it myself.
    So I grabbed the biggest bucket I could find and went back to face him head on. As I slowly brought the bucket closer, it just slapped it out of my hands.
    The bucket and paintbrush is still there on my patio, I'm not going out there again... Nuclear warfare is the only solution I can think of.

• Advertisement

Am terrified of spiders too, haven't seen a biggie this year, but I'm not inclined to open my window if I can avoid it. Also the place is such a mess there could be a pile of them in here and I just never notice them. I like it that way.

The large house spiders here can nip you, according to my da, who was busy tormenting and poking one repeatedly when it was trapped in the bath. It nipped his finger. Gave him a fright but no ill effects! Was a pinch, no broken skin. Much as I hate spiders, I don't begrudge that one for it's actions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement