Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South America

Options
  • 17-08-2007 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

i'm hitting the road in september and planning to spend six month in South America,..i'm hoping at least four of those will be spent in uraguay and brasil along the coast...

has anyone any experience of surfing there? I would love some reccomendations before i get there,...spots that i can check out. i'd love to spend a few weeks just surfing there!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

thats great thanks buildabong.....

still would love some personal reccomendations though if anyone has any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Don't know about SA, but if you can make it up to Central America then a visit to Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama would be well worth your trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Go to Chile, supposedly there is never not a wave, its thousands of miles of coastline being hit from open ocean :eek: . Few waves there rated as top10 in the world, probably not for mortals like us though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rodent

If its purely surfing your after go to the Pacific side. The surf is far more consistent.

Check out www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/WW3/index.html and look at south atlantic and south pacific side. Peru and Chile get swell around 28 days per month...

You should be able to pick up boards pretty cheap where ever you end up. Take note if your flying with Iberia, cost of board carriage is around 550 each way.

The south pacific is cold this time of year, so you'll need a 4'3 wetsuit, not sure about the atlantic side.

For guides www.surfmaps.com should sort you out where ever you decide to go.

ALSO IF PLANNING TO CHECK OUT SOUTHERN PERU IN SEPTEMBER, TAKE CARE AS CRIME WILL BE RIFE AFTER THE EARTH QUAKE

I've spent about 8 weeks surfing Peru, the place is a bit bleak but super consistent and the waves are fantastic. Also worth heading to Chicama and Pacasmayo for some of the longest lefts in the world:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Surfed just south of Lima, endless breaks to choose from but water quality is moderate at best. Surfed in a spot called San Bartolo, but they just had a major earthquake there so not sure about accomodation, infrastructure, etc. Over 500 people died in it.

Up north there's a place called Chicama, met an Aussie guy who had been there, the longest left in the world, allegedly. Have a look at the Rip Curl search event site in Arica, Chile. Plenty of waves in Chile.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

thanks guy, i've been to chile and peru and surfed over there a bit. Arica was pretty good and lima too....but i'm not planning to hit that side just yet and heard that uraguay has some great spots.....thanks for all that advice, i'l check out those site for info now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rodent

Will be heading to Peru in a little over three weeks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 local surfer

Make sure you have a few boards, and maybe some boots to protect your feet :D

Advertisement