Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly some help for those with 3datamodem.

Options
  • 17-08-2007 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'll keep it brief.

Problem: I have the 3datamodem, there is no reception (well one bar or less) on the device pretty much all over the house. Even by the window on most rooms there is little or no reception. However, on the front window of my bedroom, just by accident I discovered that there is actually four/five bars solid reception if I have the USB datamodem on the window of my bedroom. Problem is - how to get those four/five bars in the room you actually want it.

Solution:
    1. Connected my old PC up in my bedroom
    2. Connected the USB datamodem to this using a usb extension cable (can be got in Woodys for €15) and stuck it to the window with bluetack.
    3. Run a cat5 cable (any electrician will do this for you) back the sitting room to a cat5 point.
    4. Set up Internet Connection sharing on the PC in my bedroom. Start up the connection using the 3 software.
    5. Set my laptop in the sitting room to use DHCP from the bedroom PC. Open up the browser and there you go.

I have been using this for the last couple of weeks, and let me tell you it works a dream. Only problem is that I have to have the bedroom PC powered on the whole time. I have control of the bedroom PC through Remote Desktop Connection, so I never have to go near it.

If you didnt want to run the Cat5 cable, it would be possible to do the same using a wifi connection, but there are a number of walls between my sitting room and my bedroom so this wont work. :D

Advertisement