Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

access program for NUIG

Options
  • 17-08-2007 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

ive heard about this program access for people who cant afford college..would anyone please tell me more about this and there thought on the matter!
    very much appreciated

Comments

Are you talking about this? I don't really know any information about it bar what's given on that webpage, but it might be worthwhile contact NUIG Students' Union as they might give a general overview as to what others have thought. The page above says the deadline is the 31st of August.

Phone: +353 (0)91 524810

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I applied for it along with another lad on this forum Iam sure he'll reply.
    To make a long story short most things are paid for you, once your parents are not earning over so much. You get an individual tutor while youre in college and something like 50 - 90 points off. I was considered I know that much but Iam not sure did they accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Futurepast

yea ok..i thought that if you did this course for a year then you could do anycourse you wanted the next year like law science engineering, medicine..etc so whats with the leanency on the point!

They have that in the Trinity Access Programme where you do a pre-college year and then progress as normal.

oh right,,,whats that called?

• Advertisement

Futurepast wrote:
    oh right,,,whats that called?
    Myth wrote:
    They have that in the Trinity Access Programme

http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Basically everyone has said it all nearly I think. If you get between 80-90% of your course points, and get on the program, they may accept you into the course, but not definitely. So for example, I applied for Pharmacy 550. I got 465. 80-90% is between 440 and 490. So if I get on the programme, there is an outside chance I can get into Pharmacy.

You get a grant off them of around €1500.

Free tuition if you get particularly stuck on any part of a programme.

If you get on the programme, it extends into Postgraduate courses you apply for i.e Masters and Doctorate Programs, which can be quite expensive. Don't know the particulars of this however.

so what would you need to do to get the course after doing the program! do you need to do well in the course to get the course you wanted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Futurepast wrote:
    so what would you need to do to get the course after doing the program! do you need to do well in the course to get the course you wanted?

It's called an Access Program....It's not a 6 month course, it's just a simple application form you send to the NUI.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what your saying here.

As Lucas said, well, we both had an access program in the school and we were lucky to have it, probably because there is a big amount of travellers and foreigners. Its called HEAR :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

It has nothing to do with money, someone suggested it was only for those less well off. Apply and best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It is to do with not having had chances in the education system. In fairness, I don't think it would be appropriate for someone who, say, had paid to go to somewhere like the Institute to apply for it.

Iam not less well off, nor is any of my family and I dont think Lucas is if I may say so. I don't know of anyone ''too well off'' to be eligible actually. Youre parents must not have a degree and can not be over 50,000 a year or something...

I seen it was available, I was entitled, so I took the chance, not because Iam not well off lolol

Advertisement