Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Networking Solution

Options
  • 17-08-2007 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

I've posted this on the Broadband forum already, but for those of you that missed it:

If anyone would like to create a wireless network at home, via their Wireless Router, and, like me, do not have sufficient knowledge to set it up, then this is for you. Mad by Zone Alarm, it really is the business.

It allows you to access your main PC files (you can choose which folders to share) and allows you to print on the main PC from any other laptop. It camn also e-mail you (if you wish) daily report for all useage on all PCs on your network.

Sets up in about 10 minutes and is one of the most user-friendly programs I've come across. Extremely reasonable price (around €25) and you can trial it first.

http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/home-networking.php?src=google&kw=network%20magic&gclid=CIiu1auB_I0CFQ0_EAod0jlGLw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Or you could assign a WPA/WEP key on your wireless router and put same on your PC's and save yourself €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

joePC wrote:
    Or you could assign a WPA/WEP key on your wireless router and put same on your PC's and save yourself €25

That software will do that - AFAIK enabling the encryption on your PC won't allow you to access files on your wireless network. I could be wrong of course..........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'd prefer to use the tools that come with the OS. Wouldn't want to get any error messages from using a third-party app that could throw me off finding a solution.

Using encryption on a wireless network won't prevent you sharing files. Any clients connected using the correct key can share files with any other client no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

ethernet wrote:
    I'd prefer to use the tools that come with the OS. Wouldn't want to get any error messages from using a third-party app that could throw me off finding a solution.

Using encryption on a wireless network won't prevent you sharing files. Any clients connected using the correct key can share files with any other client no problem.

I see where you're coming from. But this solution is designed for those of us who would not have the technical know-how to set it up via the OS. Even if your weren't using this your router's encryption could be hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

On a sorta related note...

I have an Eircom Router (wireless) with a file server connected via Cat5.
    Eircom have given me an IP address.

I want to be able to connect to the server from outside the office (RDP will do initially) from various locations.

Any easy way to do this without buying a FW etc?
    Will ICS achieve this? If so how do I go about configuring it.

TIA!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Just forward the ports needed to it , if its a netopia modem with the daft eircom firmware , its under "custom services " when you login to it. Your fileserver would want to be secure though.

Advertisement