Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team v Derby [match thread]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I can't believe Derby are a Premiership side, they were as bad as I've ever seen a Premiership team. But still it was nice to see Jenas get the obvious kick up the ass he did and actually go out and perform to his ability. Huddlestone was excellent too, but had virtually no chasing to do. I thought Lee looked very good today, not impressed by Routledge, but Taarabt was fun and exciting.

And to those who missed the match, I watch pretty much every match online, go to myp2p.eu , download sopcast and look for the links each match day. Though today I used the WMP link for Eurosport 2 Hungary and synched it up with radio London commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

Well lads, just watched the highlights on Sky Sports and again on MOTD it was great to see Spurs win 4-0 ( I saw them beat Leeds at WHL a number of years ago by the samew score) but Im sorry to be be so pessimistic but Derby were very poor (they will be bottom by christmas) and they gave us a hell of a lot of space and again our back four didnt look that comfortable, I know i'll probably get shot down but believe me I want Spurs to break into the top 4 but it's gonna be a long season however great win today, what do other people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Great win - against a very poor side, but you can only beat what turns up.

Great opening 15 minutes - lot more movement.

Obvious Lee was a huge improvement at FB - hope we never have to endure Staltieri again.

Rocha was impressive coming to win the ball - bit caught for pace but miles ahead of Gardner as a CB.

Chimbonda at last showed some form - maybe Chelsea thoughts are behind him.

Huddlestone made a huge difference - played well in holding role and extra bonus of being able to spray passes around the pitch.

Malbranque again looks like our most improved player - 2 clinical finishes, gaining in confidence too from playing 90 minutes.

Vast improvement in Jenas - i would not be as critical of him in past 2 games. We were overrun in midfield in both games. Today with better cover stopped this. Made 1 and scored 1.

Routledge - very similar kind of player as Lennon. Did not impress me. First start so might to see more of him.

Much prefer Taarabt great ability - needs to cut out the messing though and drive the ball into the box to the strikers. Very popular with the crowd.

Keane should have had 3 - missed sitter. Still could see him score a hat trick on another day also. Definitely better upfront or in the hole.

Bent still learning where to make runs for colleagues. Big physical target with pace. Looks like he could be a very good buy.

Robinson had little to do - crowd urging him to come for crosses but very reluctant to do so. Hans Seger needs to sort this out.

Defoe and Zokora not on long enough - should have brought on Defoe much earlier as game was over at ht.

Great result - next Saturday will be a much tougher test but hopefully Dawson will be back.

What crisis?

COYS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Not long in from work, but I've had a chance to look at today's performance. Quick comment then I'm off to me scratcher!

Both full backs get the thumbs up, solid defensively and dangerous going forward (I'm convinced that is Jol's game plan, attacking full backs providing width). Rocha also impressed apart from one or two moments where he was muscled out of it by Howard. Not afraid to attack the ball, with a decent CB partner I could see him do a job for us during the season...Snoop Gardner is not that partner...

Malbranque was outstanding on both sides of the midfield, took his goals well and linked well with Lee early in the first half. Thought Routledge could have been more involved but was happy with his few cameos, got some chalk on his boots in the first half which kept their LB and LM busy and allowed Chimbonda make overlapping runs down the right (something Keane failed to do on Tuesday night). Added natural width to the side, and is my choice for the right side against ManYoo.

Jenas was much much better than Tuesday night, looked purposeful and kept driving throughout. Needs to put in that sort of performance more often, and against the big boys...though whether he can with Zokora as his partner rather than Hudd is debatable. Hudd had a good game as well, his passing was a threat both long and short range. Still has no pace though, and is a worry against a Fabregas/Gerrard/Scholes/Essien etc, so the other three midfielders have to up their work rate to cover for him. Playing him today gives support to the idea that one should pick a specific team to face the opponents rather than one's best XI week in week out, Hudd managed to thrive given the lack of pace from derby's central pair.

Hugely impressed by Bent, scored one, created one and could have won two penos. I also liked his run to the right when Jenas went on his run, dragging one of the CBS with him to create space for JJ to run in to. Think when the rest of the team tune into his style of play and start feeding balls into where he wants them he'll pose a serious threat.

As for Keane...poor game, tries to hard to be the star, dropped too deep with no effect, and for no reason as the midfield 4 were creating enough of their own. His finishing was disappointing, and despite running around for the 75 minutes he was on the pitch, he achieved very little. My biggest criticism was his absence from the penalty box when we were putting balls in there regularly, when Defoe came on both himself and bent were in the right place to put the ball away for the 4th. Robbie needs to lose his notions of being the playmaker for this side and get on with being a forward.

Robbo made one great save, but looked uncomfortable under high balls (again). Badly needs to control his box.

Taarabt...I love you son. That is all.
    galinka wrote:
    Huddlestone made a huge difference - played well in holding role

One proviso Andrew...played well in holding role against a poor team. Glad you enjoyed yourself, you sounded over the moon from your text. Was in work so didn't reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Glad you enjoyed yourself, you sounded over the moon from your text. Was in work so didn't reply.

Dead right Ronan - Derby were brutal. Good win though and 3 cracking goals - a bit of a change.

Big test Saturday now - especially as Utd are losing after an hour at the moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement