Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E38 engine oil grade

Options
  • 17-08-2007 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi. What Engine oil does a 1997 735i take. The owners handbook is lost :o( Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

http://www.bmwmovies.net/albums/userpics/10001/1997Manual-7Series.pdf
    Pg 145 of 211
    The selection of the correct SAE class depends on the climatic conditions in the area where you drive your BMW.
    BMW recommends the use of oils in SAE classes SAE 0W-X or SAE 5W-X, where "X" stands for a specification such as 30, 40 or 50.
    These oils may be used for driving in all ambient temperatures.
    If you are using SAE class 10W-X, you may continue to drive for short periods
    at temperatures below this limit. However, the engine's cold-starting characteristics may be impaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1997 735i

So you took my advice then? ;)

Well wear! Tell us all about it, spec, what you paid, etc. Pics?

Thanks kbannon for the link. A soft copy of the manual is always handy to have :)

I presume its a US manual but shouldn't be that different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Thank you so much KBannon! That link is great. I was gonna buy a handbook for 24 euros but now I will just print this at work.

Yes Unkel. They are an amazing car. It's a 1997 735i dark blue with black leather bought for 2050 pounds in Chester. It's animal fast and the V8 has a great sound a bit like wind howling in a storm. I sold the 523i because it it was slow and I can't drive manuals.

kbannon wrote:
    I presume its a US manual but shouldn't be that different.

Yeah it doesn't look like mine and the 740i, 740iL, 750iL on the front page is a bit of a giveaway. Those are the only models that were sold in the US afaik. Should be pretty much the same for the Euro 735i as the 740i sold in the US
    bought for 2050 pounds

About a grand in VRT so about €4k landed. A lot of car for the money :D
    I sold the 523i because it it was slow

The manual 523i isn't slow but you'll have to work it. I felt that engine likes being kept revved well over 3k rpm for max performance, but kbannon is gonna tell me I'm wrong now :)

In the twisties the 7 has no chance to beat the 5 but I suppose the V8 packs a punch when overtaking on our single carriageway roads

And I do like the autobox too and of course the V8 howl :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    The manual 523i isn't slow but you'll have to work it. I felt that engine likes being kept revved well over 3k rpm for max performance, but kbannon is gonna tell me I'm wrong now :)
    I'm not going to!

Don't go 18" unless you primarily drive on good quality roads. Might look good but it doesn't feel good otherwise

I sometimes wish I only had 17" or even the default 16" wheels on mine :(

If you decide to buy wheels, make sure it is one of the combinations you can find in your manual. And in my humble opinion, wheels from a 3-series on a 7-series look daft.

I have the style 32s on my car (17" deep dish) and the ride is quite good but wouldn't go to 18".
    I have seen these wheels on the E38 and they look quite well!
    The ones in the pic aren't the deep dish ones.

I see that now. They are not deep dish. Maybe I will not get them so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Congrats on the purchase! Need some pics though! What kind of service history came with it?

Wheels for E34 or E38 = Mpars, that all you need IMO

I will get some pictures soon. It's got a fsh. The book is filled with inpection 1 and 2 stamps and it got a new mot 3 weeks ago. Do any of you think e46 alloys would crack under the weight of an e38?

Are you sure they will even fit (and dont take the word of an advertiser on ebay)?

They are 18's and they had five holes for screws. Actually I don't know if they will fit. Maybe I should pay the 750 for the proper ones from fabdirect instead of trying to get cheap stuff of ebay.

I meant the wheel offset, etc.
    I don't know what wheels fit the E38. Ask on www.bavarian-board.co.uk or on www.bmwdriver.net and they will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I will get some pictures soon. It's got a fsh. The book is filled with inpection 1 and 2 stamps and it got a new mot 3 weeks ago. Do any of you think e46 alloys would crack under the weight of an e38?

TBH, that only covers so much. Have a look at what specifically has been replaced and compare it to the parts listed on the other E38 thread (so rad, waterpump, viscous, OSV, waterpump, cats etc etc.

Again the radiator stands to mind as BMW are the only ones that seem to think it doesnt fail around 100K. They break at the plastic neck leading to sudden and rapid loss of coolant. Get all that sorted out before you go spending money on alloys.

My 2c.

Someone crashed into the side of the car the other day. I got an estimate of 4300. His insurance company has not paid yet. They will probably write it off even though it only needs a new door and quarter panel. So I am thinking of getting an E39 535i or 540i. Which do ye think?

Someone crashed into the side of the car the other day. I got an estimate of 4300. His insurance company has not paid yet. They will probably write it off even though it only needs a new door and quarter panel.

Can you not get it repaired cheaper? Does it have to be a write-off?
    I am thinking of getting an E39 535i or 540i. Which do ye think?

Whichever is the best you can find, has most service history, most toys, etc. Performance wise, there's very little in it, with the 4.4l 540i slightly more powerful version of the same engine. Tax is the same, insurance is probably the same and petrol consumption would be slightly higher in the 540i. You importing again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Someone crashed into the side of the car the other day. I got an estimate of 4300. His insurance company has not paid yet. They will probably write it off even though it only needs a new door and quarter panel. So I am thinking of getting an E39 535i or 540i. Which do ye think?

Sorry to hear that - what a PITA!!

Contact FAB Direct about parts for the car.

Try this guy for wheels, Mark Blunden, really helpful and has sold a lot of wheels to guys in Ireland.

http://www.bmautosport.co.uk/

Best of luck,

Richie.

Thanks. It's the insurance companies decision. But a few people have said to me that it will probably be written off. The estimate is 4300 from a bmw garage. It is worth E5000 cos it's still on an english plate. I could get it fixed for 1500 in a cheaper panel beater and pocket the change but I wouldn't mind a change of car cos I can't park the 7 series. It's too damn long and wide!

• Advertisement
Advertisement