Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lads, there was an Ireland squad announced yesterday, does no-one care?

• 17-08-2007 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I think Ireland are playing a game soon?

Goalkeepers:
    Nick Colgan, Colin Doyle, Wayne Henderson.

Defenders:
    Stephen Carr, Richard Dunne, Steve Finnan, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, John O'Shea.

Midfielders:
    Jonathon Douglas, Stephen Hunt, Stephen Ireland, Kevin Kilbane, Aiden McGeady, Alan O'Brien, Darren Potter, Andy Reid.

Strikers:
    Kevin Doyle, Stephen Elliot, Robbie Keane, Andy Keogh, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy.

No Roy O'Donovan :eek:

Premiership players obviously not good enough for Stan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah was wondering why none of the usual suspects had brought it up here.

Glad to see Colin Doyle in. He's had a decent start to the year and could be a good prospect. Once 'Colgan, Colgan give us a save' (as he's known by his own fans) doesn't get on I'll be happy.

Stephen Ireland's playing well too so look for another good performance from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Xavi6 wrote:
    Glad to see Colin Doyle in. He's had a decent start to the year and could be a good prospect.
    Apart from last Sunday against Chelsea that is when he had an absolute nightmare. Come back Paddy Kenny, all is forgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

a lot of these players are really coming into form and are now playing their best against the best.
    Defence looks strong with Dunne and McShane
    Midfield looks creative with IReland and Hunt (Duff injured I take it?)
    Strike force: Well, we just need Keane on a good day and hope Doyle can fight for things as normal.

I have a sneeky hope we could do very well from our next few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pighead wrote:
    Apart from last Sunday against Chelsea that is when he had an absolute nightmare. Come back Paddy Kenny, all is forgiven.

Fair point. I more so meant from the aspect of him being an Irish goalkeeper playing regualr Premiership football. Agrred he had a bit of a 'mare but in this squad I'd have him over Colgan and Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So... who are we playing and when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Republic of Ireland v Denmark
    Wednesday August 22
    Aarhus, Denmark

I'm sorry to see Villa leftback Stephen O'Halloran being dropped for this game. He was named in the squad for the recent friendlies against Ecuador and Bolivia and it would good to see him get a run out as we need a naturally left sided defender in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Stephen Carr back. Boooo :mad:

Betcha muppet Stan promised him he'll start in the qualifiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If Carr starts at right back ahead of Finnan in the qualifiers, I hope stevie retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If Carr starts at right back ahead of Finnan in the qualifiers, I hope stevie retires.
    Maybe all Liverpool players should retire becuase the international managers think there are better players than them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des, piss off and stop just trying to get a reaction out of me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

DesF wrote:

Goalkeepers:
    Nick Colgan, Colin Doyle, Wayne Henderson.

Defenders:
    Stephen Carr, Richard Dunne, Steve Finnan, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, John O'Shea.

Midfielders:
    Jonathon Douglas, Stephen Hunt, Stephen Ireland, Kevin Kilbane, Aiden McGeady, Alan O'Brien, Darren Potter, Andy Reid.

Strikers:
    Kevin Doyle, Stephen Elliot, Robbie Keane, Andy Keogh, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy.

Maybe no-one cares much about a squad selected by The Gaffa for a boring friendly against Denmark, who are also crap. Also O'Donovan hasn't kicked a ball in the Premiership yet.

Meanwhile: Colgan - crap, Henderson - crap, Carr - crap waster, Douglas - rubbish, and playing in League One now ffs, Alan O'Brien - utter crap, Andy Reid - fat and has hardly played in the last year. Also, he's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Andy Reid is the most technically gifted player we have and imo has a better football brain than any Irish player currently playing. He hasn't played much in the last year but that doesn't make him crap. The few times he did play last season he was Charlton's star man. In one match this pre-season against Gillingham he set up Charlton's first 4 goals in a 5-0 win. It's only Gillingham but he's a hugely influential player. Pardew has now made Reid the captain even though he's not the most vocal of players and hasn't been with the club too long.

Anyway, I don't really know what team I'd field from that squad. The only central midfielders there are Douglas and Potter. I think Reid would be capable of playing in the centre of a 4-4-2 but I don't know about Ireland there yet. I think he needs to be playing in an attacking role. 2 centre halfs, 6 strikers. No real sense there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

. Also O'Donovan hasn't kicked a ball in the Premiership yet.

Dont know if he kicked a ball but he can certainly claim an assist for lying on top of the Birmingham keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

No Liam Miller again?
    Pfft.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Des, piss off and stop just trying to get a reaction out of me

I think he just did get his reaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I would have loved to seen Darren Gibson get a run out due to his fantastic pre-season performances for Man United. Also we dont have a proper CM there but im sure Kevin Kilbane will do a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really really hope we dont see Kilbane in midfield. I know we know he can do a job, but thats the point - we know everything we need to know. Its a friendly, this is the time to give others a chance and see if They can do a job.

Agree its a shame Gibson didn't make the squad, looked very good for united in preseason from what i saw.

Real pity Stephen Reid isn't fit for this one. Cant wait to have him back in green again. Will totally change our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

That makes no sense, so you were waiting for someone else to post up instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

DesF wrote:

no not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I really really hope we dont see Kilbane in midfield. I know we know he can do a job, but thats the point - we know everything we need to know. Its a friendly, this is the time to give others a chance and see if They can do a job.
    Does anyone know if Kilbane has been playing left back for Wigan so far this season?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Does anyone know if Kilbane has been playing left back for Wigan so far this season?

yup

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

KdjaCL wrote:
    yup

kdjac
    And he's done a decent job. If there was someone in front of him who he could give the ball to and overlap with, I reckon he'd do alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DesF wrote:

I was going to start the thread the other day, thought it was too early :p
    Maybe no-one cares much about a squad selected by The Gaffa for a boring friendly against Denmark, who are also crap.

Actually I should think this will be the most keenly watched friendly in recent years(the US tour attracted some attention, intended to stay up to watch one of them but iirc it was the same night as the CL final, Id alreaady been drinking all day and had work at 8am :( ). Both teams have alot to prove from this "dry run". The Irish are playing an away game with a largely full strength squad (barring some lower leg massacre on the fields of England over the next two days). The Danes are playing in the same type of venue that they have been banished to for the nonsense that marred the Sweden game. Both teams are essentially up sh1ts creek and have alot to prove, an away win against what may well be a determined home side (possibly, tbh im wrecked, I cant be arsed trawling through future fixtures and current point levels to see if Denmark have a chance, all I recall is Sweden and N.I are probably leading them) is important for the morale re September. A squad of that strength with Given back in action might just do the business out east (it ****in better, Im off to Prague September 11th for the match the next day :D )

Mate was telling me that Stan said that he wanted to win all the games but, if he had to choose, would take a loss in Denmark in return for wins in the old Czechslovakia.

Eh.....what? :D:confused: At least he appears to know the difference between friendlies and qualifiers. Ive spoken up for Stan to a certain extent many times due to the woeful injury situations he has faced but his news conferences get more bizarre by the week.

Im going to go out on a limb here, 1-0 or 2-1 to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

DesF wrote:

It is a friendly but we've got some big games coming up so obviously he's not going to start giving trial runs to players who are never going to make the first team.

Advertisement