Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Upgrading PC

Options
  • 17-08-2007 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

I'm considering upgrading my first (long time ago) DIY build, an AMD K6-2 550 IIRC

Looking for an idea of whether this is a decent deal from Peats to start with......€99 for;

Asus Motherboard A8V-VM SE mobo
    AMD Athlon64 3200 Processor
    Asus Multi-Chip CPU Cooler

That would get me started at least. I know I will need memory and drives etc. Not needed for anything too heavy-duty....just internet and a bit of AutoCAD now and then.

Opinions anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Budget is as little as possible. maybe €300-400 total, if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well not sure if your salvaging anything from the old build there is not much you can take with the exception of the case if it is ATX or mATX. The HD and CD/DVD are still usable but the HD would be dog slow compared to modern drives.

Assuming your taking nothing from the old PC here is a budget build for €325

Athlon 64 3500+ - comes with it's own cooler.
    1GB RAM
    Motherboard - With integrated graphics, audio, networking + slot for graphics card.
    250GB SATA HD
    Case - silver
    Power supply
    DVDRW SATA - silver to match case.

I think that covers everything and you have room to upgrade the CPU,RAM,GPU if you ever need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Thanks for the advice 8T8.

Will probably reuse the case, and the power supply, if I can......saves €100

Graphics card will also be reused.

I feel the building bug starting to bite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Very unlikely you will be able to re-use the power supply will definitely need a new one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement