Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX Vs. PS2

Options
  • 17-08-2007 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I currently have an original PS2 and it is ok. But I want better graphics. Would you recommend selling my PS2 for a XBOX?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You should be looking towards the next (current?) gen consoles like the 360, Wii and PS£. The PS2 is, imo, a better console the the original XBOX, but the 360 is, currently, a better machine for gaming. Its not cheap (€400 odd euro with 3 games) but its definatly worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Save for a 360 or PS3.
    You can buy an Xbox for about €60 second hand and while it was the more powerful machine, the best looking games were on the PS2 but better off getting a current gen machine if graphics are your thing. 360 currently winning hands down on this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

mcgovern wrote:
    Save for a 360 or PS3.
    You can buy an Xbox for about €60 second hand and while it was the more powerful machine, the best looking games were on the PS2 but better off getting a current gen machine if graphics are your thing. 360 currently winning hands down on this front.

Not strictly true, the GTA series for one looked a lot better on the xbox than they did on the PS2. The Xbox came out 2 years after the PS2 so it was the more powerful machine, Graphically and Processing power.

I will agree with the 360 winning as to your next gen console, the PS3 is way too overpriced at the minute... now, one year from now... who knows?

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'd get one if you have a high definition telly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

An xbox just isn't worth it. You have Ninja Gaiden, PAnzer Dragoon Orta and Halo 1 and other than that it's just awful exclusives and games you can get on the PS2.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If you want to buy newly released games go for a PS2. If you want to buy dirt cheap (second hand) games buy an Xbox. The Xbox also has XBMC (if you mod it) which is worth the purchase price alone. The downside is they don't make it or the games anymore so you'll be buying second hand if you buy Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

For last-gen games, stick with the PS2. If you want graphics, get a 360 and an HDTV (or use your PC monitor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Retr0gamer wrote:
    An xbox just isn't worth it. You have Ninja Gaiden, PAnzer Dragoon Orta and Halo 1 and other than that it's just awful exclusives and games you can get on the PS2.

Bit of a ridiculous generalisation there, acually, a completely ridiculous generalisation.
    None of the last gen consoles are worth getting anymore, that includes the xbox, gamecube and PS2 as all have been superseded by better consoles. The PS2 at a stretch may be worth getting but only because of the ridiculous price of its replacement and lack, so far, of decent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Retr0gamer wrote:

What about Chronicles of riddick and half life 2? A lot of people prefer the xbox controller also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sweetie wrote:
    What about Chronicles of riddick and half life 2? A lot of people prefer the xbox controller also.

The xbox s controller was much better than the obnoxious dual shock. Not worth buying a dead console for though when you already had a superior console. For me those games were PC games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The xbox s controller was much better than the obnoxious dual shock. Not worth buying a dead console for though when you already had a superior console. For me those games were PC games.

riddick was on the xbox first though,and it feels more like a console game as its not strictly a first person shooter,its works fine with a controller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

krudler wrote:
    riddick was on the xbox first though

That doesn't really have any baring now though, does it?!

Riddick is fine on PCs.

The PS2 has a great catalog if you cannot afford to upgrade at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

krudler wrote:
    riddick was on the xbox first though,and it feels more like a console game as its not strictly a first person shooter,its works fine with a controller

but works a lot better on PC with kb&m.

as for the ps2 vs. xbox debate, ps2 would win because of the catalogue of games, but the xbox has some gems, and the traded games are ridiculously cheap (as mentioned). you already have a ps2, why not pick up a 2nd hand xbox, i'm sure they're dirt cheap...

but works a lot better on PC with kb&m.

as for the ps2 vs. xbox debate, ps2 would win because of the catalogue of games, but the xbox has some gems, and the traded games are ridiculously cheap (as mentioned). you already have a ps2, why not pick up a 2nd hand xbox, i'm sure they're dirt cheap...

completely disagree about the kb&m it feels better using the analogue sticks for the fighting movement,not the same with a mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I usually prefer FPS games on PC but I thought Riddick was definitely better on the xbox,

Felt really good on the xbox controller.

And retr0gamer,

Your generalisations are astounding sometimes,

You come across as very patronising when you TELL others what games are good, and that others are terrible.

Like in a Final Fantasy thread i was reading earlier you referred to anyone who preferred 7 to 6 as idiots. I certainly wouldn't consider myself an idiot and i think that 7 just about shades it between them.

No problem with you man but sometimes I feel your posts can be really patronising and very forceful.

Just my opinion :cool:

Sorry but I just get a bit passionate at times, especially when it's a brilliant game that gets ignored. I've been called an elitist 'insert foul language' before but it's worth it when you alert people to a game they might pass them by. Just remember everything I say is just my opinion.

When I said those games were PC games for me I just meant I played them on the PC so don't associate them with the xbox. I'm definitely not one of the keyboard and mouse only brigade.

As for the xbox vs. the PS2, well the xbox is a pretty awful console in all honesty. When it comes down to the games, which is why you should be choosing a console, there are really only a few system only games that are worth playing while the PS2 has practically every game on the xbox along with a whole lot more. The xbox is also a dead console while the PS2 will be still going for a while longer.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Sorry but I just get a bit passionate at times, especially when it's a brilliant game that gets ignored. I've been called an elitist 'insert foul language' before but it's worth it when you alert people to a game they might pass them by. Just remember everything I say is just my opinion.

When I said those games were PC games for me I just meant I played them on the PC so don't associate them with the xbox. I'm definitely not one of the keyboard and mouse only brigade.

As for the xbox vs. the PS2, well the xbox is a pretty awful console in all honesty. When it comes down to the games, which is why you should be choosing a console, there are really only a few system only games that are worth playing while the PS2 has practically every game on the xbox along with a whole lot more. The xbox is also a dead console while the PS2 will be still going for a while longer.

annoyingly so, microsoft released its superior then abandoned it completely, im mean seriously what was the last game released on the xbox? i have no idea probably half life 2 or something ,whereas the ps2 while not exactly a wealth of good games latetly had guitar hero 2, god of war 2 and okami as its last good releases, god of war 2 especially will probably be seen as the consoles swansong, and the fact that gameplay wise i enjoyed it more than any next gen game ive played so far aside says loads about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Gamestop do an offer where you can trade in your old system and 6 games towards a 360 premium for €199. Sounds ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get some frickin' Component or RGB SCART cables for your PS2. Then change the settings in your PS2 menu (Y/Pb/Pr is Component).

FFS, why must you make the lad/lady spend more money!
    WRYYYYY?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I forgot ninja gaiden

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

if you got the cash for a 360,it would make sense to buy there old console seeing as they dont make games for it anymore,better again go for a ps3,but maybe wait till the price comes down!

Advertisement