Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battered Mars Bars

• 17-08-2007 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey all.
    Sampled this culinary delight in Edinburgh at the weekend and I was just wondering is there anywhere in Dublin that do them?

Funny thing is I don't actually like Mars Bars but when they're crispy on the outside and nice and runny on teh inside they are very very good...:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Fusciardi's on Capel Street did them before the revamp ... am sure they'd still do you one. Have to eat them warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I hear that you can get deep fried salad in Edinburgh - is that true ?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

Yuck!! Do your arteries a favour and steer well clear!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

lola_run wrote:
    have you even tried one that you say yuck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

Tree wrote:
    have you even tried one that you say yuck?

yes, I have once and they're repulsive. Any food that is battered is so bad for you. Give me fresh fruit and veg anyday. ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

food that is battered is grand for you in small quantities. if you dont enjoy things that are fried or sweet dont post about them. you'll only upset yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Actually our local Chinese down here in the back end of rural Australia does an ice cream fritter for dessert. A scoop ball of vanilla icecream, battered and deep fried, served with golden syrup and fresh fruit cocktail. The batter is warm and crispy, the ice-cream stays cold, baked Alaska style.

I wouldn't eat it three times a day, seven days a week, but it's great as a treat.

And Lola_Run, this is the Cooking and Recipes forum. If you're unwilling to stretch your palette beyond raw food, there's a gardening forum that may suit you better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It would be funny if lola_run was actually a morbidly obese woman who likes to pontificate about health matters on the interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

eth0_ wrote:
    It would be funny if lola_run was actually a morbidly obese woman who likes to pontificate about health matters on the interweb.

No need to get personal Mr. Mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

local Chinese down here in the back end of rural Australia does an ice cream fritter for dessert.

I thought it was a universal truth that chinese restaurants of a certain 80's slant have set their sights on on managing to wrap in batter and deep fry any fruit or ice cream in the name of dessert. As a toddler I used to absolutely love the fried ice cream or pinapple fritters. Jamie's dinners eat your heart out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the chipper on cavendish row at the bottom of parnell square east,
    across from the gate theatre (ambassador) does them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Have any of you done Bounty Bars like this?

They're really good....not as sweet as you would think and the batter is really light as it is made with sparkling water.

Killer nibble served with huge chunks of pineapple.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

lola_run wrote:

Japanese food is considered to be some of the healthiest food on the planet - and tempura is standard fare in Japanese cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Splinty

MM.. fried ice cream. I've never had in a Chinese restaurant.. here, it is always the Mexican restaurants that have it

Form scoops of (the restaurants here always use cinnamon flavored) ice cream into balls, roll in cinnamon sugar then in crushed up corn flakes. Freeze overnight and then deep fry for a minute. Tastes unbelievable with whipped cream and bourbon sauce. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ansionnachclist

lola_run wrote:
    yes, I have once and they're repulsive. Any food that is battered is so bad for you. Give me fresh fruit and veg anyday. ;-)

Not even a freshly battered apple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I always thought the battered mars bar was an urban legend. I guess I was wrong :confused:

Advertisement