Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobile Garda Speed Traps

Options
  • 17-08-2007 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I passed a Garda speed trap this morning and was going over the speed limit...

Do they have to stop you in order to issue a fine?

Thanks

Col

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If it was the laser gun (handheld) they usually chase you down. If not, you're most likely in the clear. Lucky today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I think they have to pull you over. They at least need a photo of your reg, so if there was no flash and you weren't pulled over, I think you can assume you won't get one. I'm open to correction though.

By the way, expect to get given out to about speeding in some posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

laser gun; yes,
    camera van; no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 col2007

Hi,

Thanks. It was the laser gun...

Col

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I bet it happened on a entry do a dangerous bend over a hump back bridge where 10 people have been killed before didn't it :rolleyes:

you just dodged the speed tax I reckon

you should of course be flogged to death with your own umbilical cord you lunatic piece of shi*, think of the consequences of you actions on the babies in Africa ! - Of course I am being sarcastic , but this aint too far from whats going to be hurled at you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RobAMerc wrote:

you just dodged the speed tax I reckon

A speed tax?

Speeding kills. There is a law against. He should have been fined and put off the road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kearnsr wrote:
    A speed tax?

Speeding kills. There is a law against. He should have been fined and put off the road.
    Oh Christ!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kearnsr wrote:
    A speed tax?

Fined and put off the road????? Cue dramatic music. :rolleyes: X 10000000. For what 120 in a 100 zone or somesuch.
    This is why I worry about democracy as a good system....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually, if the garda was in the car with the gun then its attached to a printer which prints out a nice pic of your reg etc.

If the garda was outside the car they have to chase you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

jonny24ie wrote:
    If the garda was outside the car they have to chase you down.

Cue taking the next turn and waiting for him to pas by (only do this if you felt you were gonna be fined un necessarily! if you were going ridiculously over the speed limit stop and take your fine!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

jameshayes wrote:
    Cue taking the next turn and waiting for him to pas by (only do this if you felt you were gonna be fined un necessarily! if you were going ridiculously over the speed limit stop and take your fine!!)

Nah, I'd have to stop then and i might knock my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

I passed a Garda speed trap this morning and was going over the speed limit...
    It's also possible that you only thought you were over the limit, I can happily motorway cruise with my speedo reading 130-135kph knowing full well that I am actually travelling at only 120kph due to the inaccuracies in the speedo system. (never been flashed or stopped for speeding yet either)....Are you sure you were actually speeding or just your speedo indicated you were ?

Example: If your speedo said 120 in a 100 zone, Gardai won't usuually stop for anyone under 110 (10% allowance, not a legal limit but a quite often followed guide) and allowing for 10% inaccuracy in your speedo you might only have been doing 108kph. "M'lud, he was doing 108kph in a 100kph zone" would near be considered wasting the courts time....

So what speeds were you actually doing anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Charlestown 1

I am a regular driver but I also walk a lot especially on country roads. I find drivers are still driving at totally excessively high speeds. Boy racers in the little tin cans traveling at high speed. I have had to jump off the road on many ocassions. My conclusions is that Gay Byrne should get you all down to a reasonable speed on country roads and allow for people like myself to take the number of cars trying to get there a minute or two earlier and prosecute them. In a 200 yds walk on a section of road today I could have happily went to court with at least 6 cars.
    Is all this rubbish that is going on here on how to dodge the speed camera worth any one of the lives being lost on the road. Would it not be better to slow down and let a few more people live. Big deal cruising at 135 kms. - 60kms could write off a human being. Lets slow down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I am a regular driver but I also walk a lot especially on country roads. I find drivers are still driving at totally excessively high speeds. Boy racers in the little tin cans traveling at high speed. I have had to jump off the road on many ocassions. My conclusions is that Gay Byrne should get you all down to a reasonable speed on country roads and allow for people like myself to take the number of cars trying to get there a minute or two earlier and prosecute them. In a 200 yds walk on a section of road today I could have happily went to court with at least 6 cars.
    Is all this rubbish that is going on here on how to dodge the speed camera worth any one of the lives being lost on the road. Would it not be better to slow down and let a few more people live. Big deal cruising at 135 kms. - 60kms could write off a human being. Lets slow down

Were you using a calibarated device to determine that EVERYONE was speeding, or did it just feel as if they were because they may have been legally travelling at 16 times your speed (eg, you were walking at 5kph, and they were driving 80kph)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

the red font colour convinced me...go Gaybo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

kearnsr wrote:
    A speed tax?

Speeding does not kill. Inappropriate speed kills. Speeding is accounted as a factor in only 10% of accidents and is rarely (<1%) the sole factor. Bertie and co have you well fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

OKenora wrote:
    It's also possible that you only thought you were over the limit, I can happily motorway cruise with my speedo reading 130-135kph knowing full well that I am actually travelling at only 120kph due to the inaccuracies in the speedo system. (never been flashed or stopped for speeding yet either)....Are you sure you were actually speeding or just your speedo indicated you were ?

Example: If your speedo said 120 in a 100 zone, Gardai won't usuually stop for anyone under 110 (10% allowance, not a legal limit but a quite often followed guide) and allowing for 10% inaccuracy in your speedo you might only have been doing 108kph. "M'lud, he was doing 108kph in a 100kph zone" would near be considered wasting the courts time....

So what speeds were you actually doing anyway ?

unless you've had your particular car on a rolling road, or speed checked with gps etc, Im not sure you should be so set on the (in)accuracy on the speedometer... and certainly not be suggesting to other people to follow your lead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

kearnsr wrote:
    He should have been fined and put off the road.

Sweet Jesus :D

Is there a most outrageous post of the day award?

Cause I Sir, have a nomination :D
    OKenora wrote:
    I can happily motorway cruise with my speedo reading 130-135kph knowing full well that I am actually travelling at only 120kph due to the inaccuracies in the speedo system.

You're quite right about inaccuracies but 15 kph is quite a bit out, I don't think cars are that bad at all.
    I could have happily went to court with at least 6 cars.
    [/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Another 'law enforcer' I see!!

Who are you exactly? Paul Carney? Barry White? Liz Dunne?

Nah, didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

OKenora wrote:
    I can happily motorway cruise with my speedo reading 130-135kph knowing full well that I am actually travelling at only 120kph due to the inaccuracies in the speedo system.

Are these inaccuracies common?

I often notice when i go by the "Your Speed is:__" signs they say about 10kph lower than what my speedo says. I know the speedo can be inaccurate to about 10% but also thought that these signs were inaccurate too, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Cion&#225 wrote: »
    Are these inaccuracies common?

I often notice when i go by the "Your Speed is:__" signs they say about 10kph lower than what my speedo says. I know the speedo can be inaccurate to about 10% but also thought that these signs were inaccurate too, are they?

Yes, most speedos over read by about 10%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

unless you've had your particular car on a rolling road, or speed checked with gps etc, Im not sure you should be so set on the (in)accuracy on the speedometer... and certainly not be suggesting to other people to follow your lead

I have, both, rolling road tested and there is a GPS speedo fitted to the car......

I would like to know where I suggested that other people should follow my lead though....read what I wrote not what you think I might have meant.
    You're quite right about inaccuracies but 15 kph is quite a bit out, I don't think cars are that bad at all.
    10% is a pretty average inaccuracy on a speedo few are better than this some are considerably worse (the 1.4 Corsa clocked at 140mph on it's speedo as an example.....yeah right....). At a real speed of 120kmh this is a 12kmh error, giving a reading of 132kmh on the speedo, thats in the middle of the 130-135 range I quoted.

The signs you see by the road saying "SLOW DOWN" are actually pretty accurate, they are definitely far more accurate than the speedo in your car, accurate to about +/- 0.5kph I would say, they use a very similar system for speed detection to the speed cameras. After all if they were as inaccurate as the speedo in the car they would be pretty useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

You sir are a self rightous tosser :rolleyes: He knows his mistake and admitted it.

If you didn't see a flash then your alright man, unless you're going over 170 mph. That speed will actually beat a speed camera. The more you know!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Wagon wrote:
    unless you're going over 170 mph. That speed will actually beat a speed camera. The more you know!

Explains so much then...:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

kearnsr wrote:

I propose a troll of the day award. We could call it the kearnsr.

Why do people like him/her and Charlestown visit a motoring forum? Now I know it's their opinion and they're entitled to it, no matter how wrong it is, but seriously.

Do these guys take the time out of their busy days to quote scriptures in the GLB forum too?

Well I can see now why there are so many people killed on our Roads. Gay Byrne and all those others who think they know it all must be very annoying to those of you who do. I am not another anything. I am a person who has seen Death and I have visited the Rehab in Dunlaoire. I have seen what can happen and the devastation caused, especially to Family and Loved ones.
    More than that I have seen a few who felt they knew it all until some lives were lost as a result of their actions. One could not live with himself and so took his own life. Please slow down and stop trying to find ways around the laws that were put there by people who actually do know better. They were listening to those involved.
    "Please Slow Down"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On this debate, I do agree with charlestown1 in a lot of ways. I too have seen the results of crashes and the web of devastation it causes, just over the years of driving. It might also surprise some how low a speed such devastation can occur. I would say at anything above 40 MPH you are in serious trouble and risk of injury if you hit anything. I've witnessed serious injury after I came up behind a car that had rolled at a surprisingly low speed on a country road. The car in question on the road in question would not have been doing much above 30 odd MPH(50MPh limit at the time too). Result, broken bones, head injuries and a wheelchair case. I've seen an idiot lose his life late at night on a dual carriageway while going hell for leather. He passed me at the guts of 90, went over the crest of a blindish hill. Next thing I was on the anchors. Sixth sense and all that. Crest the hill and find that his brakes weren't so good and he had ploughed into the front of another car crossing the carriageway. Lucky for the driver of the other car, that he had only hit the front of her car. She was in shock, but she was OK by the time the ambulance arrived. The driver of the other car was mince though. I mean literally. Not nice to see. Nightmares for a while, I don't mind admitting. In my time driving that's the only time I've seen a very destructive crash on a good road(though the blind hill with following crossroads didn't help).

Most of the time when I've been unlucky enough to come across a crash it has been on backroads. Usually late at night. Drink comes into it and often youth and sad to say gender. If you were looking to find a fatal crash, you would have far more luck going around the back roads of this country, between the hours of 11 PM and 4 AM, than driving the motorways and A roads during the day. They do happen then, but in general the former is where the problem lays. Where are you likely to find speed cameras? Who is more likely to get points on their licence. Where in the country as a whole are most of the points awarded. I suspect precious few are awarded on a country lane at 2 in the morning.

I think people who live or have reason to travel outside the major cities will agree with me here. While do you get the "boyracer"* brigade in the cities, irritating all and sundry with their shítbox cars and their uselessly load exhausts, you do tend to see more outside driving like loonies with no obvious fear of prosecution.

It's the solution and implementation that as usual is the problem. All too often people feel that the authorities are shooting fish in a barrel on motorways etc. Now before some chinless wonder starts bleating "it's de laaaaaw", let me remind them that they're not the problem. Bloody irritating self satisfied po faced gits? Yes. The ones that are likely to cause death and injury? No. Most of the time, most people are generally(and surprisingly) sensible when driving.

My solution? Well signposted speed cameras on both dangerous parts of motorways/A roads, with well sign posted cameras on back roads too. Mobile speed cameras that are also well sign posted are a good bet too. They should have them around the country on B roads too. As it is, the chances of me being caught doing mad speeds at 2 in the morning on a back road are effectively nil. Zero. Nada. Hence the usual tales of destruction and woe on the news on a monday morning.

The fact is hiding speed cameras behind trees etc is a revenue creating exercise. Nothing more. Look at the M50 at the moment. The people who know where the cameras are do not speed at those points. The people who don't, do. What does that tell you? I know some get a thrill from the punishment of others. A holdover of catholic Ireland or whatever. Punishment is fine, but it won't bring down the speeding.

*I'm not attacking the car loving types who modify or enjoy driving more sporty cars. In my experience most of them actually take it handy, with the odd blip of the throttle here and there. They usually love their cars more than their mates so don't want to damage them:D They're also way less likely to be drunk behind the wheel too, when compared to the middle aged woman a bottle of wine up, behind the wheel of her merc. Enough cops have told me that one. One used to say if you see an Evo coming up to a drink checkpoint, you can be 99% sure he's sober. A granny in a starlet is far more likely to be on the sauce.

As an aside one thing that has changed a little when compred to the past are the cars themselves. there is an often huge difference between the capabilities and power of cars out there(and indeed the drivers themselves). If I'm in a micra and I have to hit the brakes in an emergency, I'm going to take a lot longer to stop than someone in a scooby Impreza. Same goes for roadholding, grip etc. I do think that has some effect. I do know when I get into a standard city type car, I feel the diff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

milltown wrote:
    I propose a troll of the day award. We could call it the kearnsr.

Why do people like him/her and Charlestown visit a motoring forum? Now I know it's their opinion and they're entitled to it, no matter how wrong it is, but seriously.

Do these guys take the time out of their busy days to quote scriptures in the GLB forum too?

The pity of it all is that you Milltown will possibly vanish off this forum and maybe some will wonder where you went. I hope it is not the same way as others, ie Rehab where your family will have to visit or worse still the Cemetery. I will take your advice and steer clear of this forum as it appears to be suitable only to those invincibles such as you. We who have experience and not necessary age, know what can and does happen.
    I do not wish any of you harm, I would would dearly ask you all to
    Please Slow down
    Lets not be statistics.
    None of us are Invincible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Please slow down and stop trying to find ways around the laws that were put there by people who actually do know better. They were listening to those involved.
    RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH. So the guys up in Dublin makin up the speed limit know better then experienced drivers on roads they travel everyday, letting them take into account conditions etc? The speed limit is nothing but a number, speed is all relative and an appropiate speed on a road can go up or down in few minutes if traffic conditions or weather changes. The people making up the limit do not "Know better", they are politicans, and while I think we all agree speed limits are a useful tool against road accidents, they are but one tool. Why is Gaybo not clammoring for better driver training? Because this is a long term solution, one that might work(as it has in other countries)not a headline grabbing short term one like sending a freshly graduated guard from Templemore out onto a dual carriageway to catch an "evil" driver doing 10kph over the limit when it is quite safe.

Basically, people are sick of seeing speedtraps in "fish in barrel" locations instead of places where they are needed and where people are likely to cause an accident through excessive speed(not always the same as breaking the speed limit!:rolleyes: ). So keep believing that the people in the Dail are out for your best interest instead of keeping themselves in the job by grabbing headlines..........:rolleyes:

Advertisement