Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 148th Manchester Derby Thread (May Include Score)

• 17-08-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Sunday sees the 148th Manchester Derby take place at the City of Manchester Stadium. City go into the game as the form team coming off the back of two early wins while United have struggled with consecutive draws.

Sven Goran-Eriksson will most likely name an unchanged team for the game, although Geovanni and Valeri Bojinov are pushing for places having performed well as substitutes in both games. Kasper Schmeichel should again continue in goal after two successive clean sheets.

For United, Wayne Rooney (injured) and Christiano Ronaldo (suspended) are the biggest names missing, along with Gary Neville, Owen Hargreaves, Louis Saha and Anderson. Latest signing Carlos Tevez will lead the line up front.

Predictions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

United to win, when the pressure is on they produce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

City to win.

Ferguson to get sacked.

Neville to be in the stands doing something really 'hard'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

gonna go with a draw i think

is Hargreaves still carrying that knee injury? whats wrong with Anderson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United to win this, quite easily I think. Man City will attack. That's a stupid thing to do against United. Reading and Portsmouth have much better defences than city, and City's defence was carved open a couple of times by Derby let alone West Ham.
    City will attack, United will score. City may well score, but I think United will score more :)

It's been a long time since I've been worried about a derby game with City, but this is getting much closer :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

have a horrible feeling city are going to do us,hope to god i`m wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Draw or City win. Recent form can be fairly well thrown out the window with Manchester derbies, as is evidenced in the past. While city have a dodgy defence, the attacking options for Manu are quite limited at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Big losses for Manchester United while Manchester City are on a high. I will go for a Manchester City win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Did City sign their new goalie - a swap deal with some Italian club (Livorno maybe) with Corradi and 5m going in the other direction ?

Whatever keeper city have in, it'll be huge pressure on them.

Be interesting to see if the new City foreigners have the stomach for a derby battle. You'd have to presume not until proven otherwise.

Fletcher to start for United, and he'll probably do well.

City 1-3 United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yeah can see United rolling out the dogs of war for this one and showing the citeh new boys what an English derby is all about. United to win 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Pity we don't have smith for this one :(

It's unthinkable that citeh would win and put us so far behind so early in the season but I gotta say I'm not confident at all. If we do get anything out of the game I think it'll be without playing well - might just nick a draw or a win

Am very nervous - what's the story with hargreaves?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I expect United to produce the goods. 2-1 or 3-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

i'll plump for a draw, 1-1 maybe

this is probably the first Manchester derby in quite a long time where United won't be entering as overwhelming favourites, i hope that gives an extra edge to the derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

City will put up a fight, but people would be silly to write Utd off. (coming from a Liverpool fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Did City sign their new goalie - a swap deal with some Italian club (Livorno maybe) with Corradi and 5m going in the other direction ?

Whatever keeper city have in, it'll be huge pressure on them.

Be interesting to see if the new City foreigners have the stomach for a derby battle. You'd have to presume not until proven otherwise.

Fletcher to start for United, and he'll probably do well.

City 1-3 United
    I heard Sven say its very doubtful they will have a new keeper in for sunday so looks like Schmeichel Jr will be playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

lets just hope that City get the backlash from the last 2 games and we destroy them!!! wishful thinking i know but its what they need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

bucks73 wrote:
    United rolling out the dogs of war for this one and showing the citeh new boys what an English derby is all about.

have to admit, this made me chuckle a bit! :) dogs of war!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Cant see City being as defensive as Reading and Pompey so I think United will win 2-0. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The 148th Manchester Derby Thread (May Include Score

Doubt it 0-0 for me.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

City usually go into these games on a poor run of form with nothing expected of them - so itll all be about how they handle this added pressure of being expected to get a good result. That, and who scores the most goals. Thats a bit important too.

Archimedes wrote:
    That, and who scores the most goals. Thats a bit important too.

profound man profound.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PHB wrote:
    Man City will attack. That's a stupid thing to do against United.

That's just plain nonsense, and I expect better. Man City will hold, and allow Utd to come at them. A draw would be the "form" result.

Ask Milan - they'll tell you. Attack, expose their soft, yellow, underbelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Archimedes wrote:
    who scores the most goals.

Aaah, the wisdom of the Greeks.

nipplenuts wrote:
    That's just plain nonsense, and I expect better. Man City will hold, and allow Utd to come at them. A draw would be the "form" result.

All of Man City's games so far have been quite open, can't see why that would change. United have lost points so far mostly because good defenses have been keeping them at bay, Reading worked incredibly hard as a team, Portsmouth defended very well, and despite United's domination, they kept them out. Do you think City's defense is that good? The reason The Younger Dane has been so impressive is largely because he's had a lot to deal with :P

I think the game will be open and attacking, and because of that, I think United are likely to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I can't understand all this talk about City having a weak defence. We're the only team that's played twice and hasn't conceded a goal! Dunne is usually lavished with praise on here and Micah is the best young defender in England. Add to that an England under 21 player (Onouha), a highly rated Spanish left back (Garrido) and a 9-times capped Croat (Corluka) and I think it's a pretty solid looking group. Far better than the Portsmouth or Reading back lines United have faced so far.

I actually think it'll be a 1-1 draw. We'll start ok and maybe nick one but won't keep it up for 90 minutes. It could go either way with Kasper. He play unbelievable or have a mare. The heart says a City win but usually it's a mistake to trust that with us.

Just look at the amount of chances Derby had for examples of how strong City's defense is. It hasn't really been tested yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Two games into the season and all of a sudden City are favourites - ha ha.Tabloid reasoning at its best.

United to win.Tevez to score.Fletcher to start on the right.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

IMO:

Van Der Sar
    Brown---Ferdinand---Vidic---Evra
    Carrick---Fletcher

Scholes

Nani
    Giggs----
    Tevez

^Decent team, should be good enough to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Good start from United. Near 70% possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

working link anyone? can pm me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Gooooooooal Giovanni 1-0 City

1st shot for them, where was hargreaves Geovanni had too much room to come onto the ball.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Arsenal-esque stuff from United so far. We really miss some potency up front. Yet to display any killer instinct.

HT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Excellent goal by City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Cmon Citeh :)

I can see Utd turning up the heat in the second half and winning, but the longer the score stays 1-0 the more difficult that will be.

Have Utd got no strikers ? at all, anyone who can provide a focal point up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zabbo wrote:

I can see Utd turning up the heat in the second half and winning, .

Course. They'll win it 3-1 as usual.

It always looks like they are going to lose 1-0 then they end up winning 2-1 or 3-1.

• Advertisement

For a top class centre half, Dunne was badly caught on the hop there by Vidic. He was nowhere near beating him to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

this is so disappointing. we are really lacking it up front. and having to bring on eagles shows that too.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    this is so disappointing. we are really lacking it up front. and having to bring on eagles shows that too.

Bet he scores. :)

Whats the deal with that other young lad (cant remember his name) being on the bench ahead of Fletcher?

JOS and Campbell are on.

27minutes left, plenty of time for a Utd goal, but City might also get something on the break.

zabbo wrote:
    , but City might also get something on the break.

Doubt it, they'll have to try get one of their breaks to get all the way out of their own half first.

• Advertisement

Are none of the City players capable of shouting "man on" or "house" when a Utd player is coming up behind a city player? gimps.

I'm not sure if the City players know each others names.

Dunne and Richards have been immense.

WTF just happened there? :eek: :eek:

Jesus that was one of those that is better off just hitting off you.

4Mins? bit harsh.

Yeah credit to the 2 city centre halfs.

Hers a Vidic goal.

Petrov thought the back of his shirt said Alonso there for a min. :)

Sventastic.

Great defensive display from City, Dunne was savage at the end, clearing everything.

Fair play to Man City.

Sven for England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Dammit Richard Keys says it as I type.

Dunne and Richards were immense.
    United completely dominated the game, but could just not take one of their many many chances. It was like watching Arsenal play.
    Jammy goal but it didn't really matter. A draw was just as bad as a loss, and United didn't score and couldn't score.
    These last two games were huge tests for United and they have really failed them.

Gotta hope Liverpool do us a favour now, otherwise we are going to fall really far behind Chelsea, and 7 points could just be too much to overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

PHB wrote:
    United to win this, quite easily I think. Man City will attack. That's a stupid thing to do against United. Reading and Portsmouth have much better defences than city, and City's defence was carved open a couple of times by Derby let alone West Ham.
    City will attack, United will score. City may well score, but I think United will score more :)
    You couldn't have been more wrong there :cool:

United missed Rooney and Ronaldo badly today. Nani was very poor, comfortable on the ball, but unable to create anything. Tevez was a complete disaster, worst game I've ever seen him play. City on the other hand were magnificent, Dunne and Richards were amazing at the back.

Sven is a management and tactical genius :eek:

LOL at Casper Schmeichels accent. Has he ever even left Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Gonna be tough for United now , they've Spurs next and then a 6 pointer with Sunderland after that .

Richards and Dunne were man mountains for City today , and most days actually .

• Advertisement
Advertisement