Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB maestro card can't be used online?

Options
  • 17-08-2007 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

My AIB maestro card has no 'valid from' date or CV2 code on it, meaning it is next to useless as it can't be used online. Apparently BOI have this on their cards.

Is there any way around this? Can you get AIB to send you a proper maestro card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The debit card part is a laser card. The maestro bit I think is just for being able to use the card as an atm abroad. You'd be able to use a maestro card to withdraw cash from pretty much any atm, whereas there were problems with the old cirrus/plus cards sometimes.

I've used the card online on an Irish site that takes laser with no problems.

Not entirely sure about it though, maybe they are supposed to function as debit cards outside of Ireland. I always assumed with an Irish bank account they'd just be for use within Ireland as a debit card with the laser function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

it's only a laser card, not a credit card. BOI ones don't have cv2 codes either. Some Irish websites (very few actually) will accept this but not many foreign sites will. The maestro thing has something to do with it being different in Ireland to everywhere else.

So basically as far as buying online with this card, it's pretty much useless. You need a credit card or look into Wirecard or 3v vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

So it's rubbish then. I have a credit card but i'd rather not use it. Looks like i'll be moving to Halifax!

amull87 wrote:
    it's only a laser card, not a credit card. BOI ones don't have cv2 codes either. Some Irish websites (very few actually) will accept this but not many foreign sites will. The maestro thing has something to do with it being different in Ireland to everywhere else.

Hmm my friends BOI maestro has a CV2 code on it and can be used online. I just checked my Ulster Bank maestro/laser/atm card, and it has valid from/valid to/cv2 on it also.

AIB = crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Why can't we use laser cards through paypal ??

Surely that would make things easier for a lot of people ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

eth0_ wrote:
    So it's rubbish then. I have a credit card but i'd rather not use it. Looks like i'll be moving to Halifax!

You have a credit card and yet you are giving out about not being able to use your debit card online. omg :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

stepbar, I've asked you before to moderate your posting, and the attitude so often found within it. Let this be the last time.

Why "omg"? Some people would prefer to have the money go straight out of their current account. Some people prefer using debit cards as they help control their spending. Some people use them on airline webistes because the cost is cheaper. What about people who don't have a credit card?

If AIB aren't providing a fully functioning product, then it's fair game for people to make a comment about it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The debit card part is a laser card. The maestro bit I think is just for being able to use the card as an atm abroad.

Not true actually, the Maestro bit allows it to be used as a debit card abroad. I've used mine in Amsterdam and Rome and it works fine. As for using it online, I can't think of any sites that allow debit cards where it specifies Maestro, it's usually specific UK debit cards listed, although CD-WOW allows Laser cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

BuffyBot wrote:
    stepbar, I've asked you before to moderate your posting, and the attitude so often found within it. Let this be the last time.

Why "omg"? Some people would prefer to have the money go straight out of their current account. Some people prefer using debit cards as they help control their spending. Some people use them on airline webistes because the cost is cheaper. What about people who don't have a credit card?

If AIB aren't providing a fully functioning product, then it's fair game for people to make a comment about it.

Look, I have an AIB debit card and a student credit card (I also have a BOI DD and CC card too). It doesnt pain me if I can't use the debit card on a website. I use my credit card instead. Big deal. I dont see why we need a thread dedicated to it TBH. It's a non issue as far as I'm concerned, a non issue when the OP has a credit card already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I don't understand the issue of using a credit card and then paying for it immediately via online banking. It's no big deal, your transaction is insured, and you wont incur any interest/etc. charges.

So I would row in with the 'omg' part.

• Advertisement

zaph wrote:
    Not true actually, the Maestro bit allows it to be used as a debit card abroad. I've used mine in Amsterdam and Rome and it works fine. As for using it online, I can't think of any sites that allow debit cards where it specifies Maestro, it's usually specific UK debit cards listed, although CD-WOW allows Laser cards.

play.com is one site that advertises it accepts maestro cards, can't think of any more off hand but they do exist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

i know this is a bit old thread :D but sorry.

I have just been trying to use my AIB Mastro Card online to purchace tickets online and because it was looking for the 3 digit code I was unable to, so had to revert to credit card.

anyways decided to ring AIB cause this isnt first time we have had problems using the card, the girl I was speaking to said that the maestro that they use here is slightly different to whats abroad!?!?! and that only about 60 % of the machines are set up for international use!and that it wont work on other websites outside of Ireland.

we were in manchester earlier on this year and was using it both in a shop as the debit card and also to withdraw money, both didnt work! just want to enquire has any body had the same experience of that, also happened us in Dubai last year when we went to use it for both debit card and atm withdrawel, AIB cant offer any explination as to what the both reasons were for it as said all was in order with the account!!

Should work in ATM's without an issue, whatever about purchasing - could be a fault with the card itself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Your Maestro card will work with any ATM that is part of the Link/Mastercard/Visa networks. Not all foreign ATMS are compatible. From my experience (throughout Europe and US), I've only had the odd issue, and can usually find a compatible ATM nearby.

As regards using your Maestro online. I don't recommend it unless you don't have a credit card. Debit cards aren't insured in the same way that credit cards are (very helpful if you have issues with the purchase). Because of this, most people don't want to purchase anything on-line with their Laser and thus most on-line stores don't bother providing the facility.

If you have hang-ups about credit card debt etc, you can simply transfer the cash from your account to the Credit Card and then make the purchase. If you don't have a Credit Card, perhaps you should consider getting one if you intend shopping regularly on-line. If not (or you are unable to get one), then perhaps the 3v cards, but these can prove very expensive.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It should be noted that not all foreign POS terminals are compatible with AIB Maestro either and TBH it's not easy to suggest to an ELecerc till operator that yoy can go to an ATM and withdraw the Euros that your cards say you cannot get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

Right!
    Your AIB card can only be used on Irish websites e.g. aerlingus i.e if you are buying a ticket from Ireland. Maestro/Laser is a subset of Mastercard and the banks are not authorised to allow payment on international transactions-would cost more.
    The Halifax card can be used as a credit and debit card... The Debit was only launched on the 1st of October. Note that not all merchants offer cashback or accept the card. ALdi for example would not take your Halifax card as it is Visa and they do not accept Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

AIB debit cards are currently classed as laser cards which is a domestic Irish payments system. As part of SEPA AIB will be moving to a visa or mastercard debit system so it can be used abroad/online in the same way as a creditcard. As far as i am aware Halifax are the only bank in Ireland that offer a debit card that is aligned to Visa or Mastercard schemes, all banks will offer this by 2010.

As far as i am aware Halifax are the only bank in Ireland that offer a debit card that is aligned to Visa or Mastercard schemes, all banks will offer this by 2010.

Maestro is Mastercard's scheme, so therefore many of the banks are already there - it just seems that AIB's implementation of the scheme seems a little out of whack when compared with some of the other banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Most Irish debit cards are recognised as Laser cards rather than MasterCard debit as they are only co branded cards and not full Maestro cards, which is what it would be recognised as if it was a true Maestro. This is changing and then they will be recognised as domestic Irish mastercard's when used internationally and will be routed to MasterCard for authorisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

eth0_ wrote: »
    Hmm my friends BOI maestro has a CV2 code on it and can be used online. I just checked my Ulster Bank maestro/laser/atm card, and it has valid from/valid to/cv2 on it also.

AIB = crap.

I have an AIB Laser card and to be honest I am not happy with it, because I am on the border sometimes I do a bit of shopping in Newry. Sainsbury's won't accept Laser even tho they have the Maestro symbol as an accepted method of payment, Woolworths won't take it neither will any of the big UK chains but I was in a little family run shop in Newry and they took it. Makes me mad as thats part of the reason I got it.
    I was thinking of changing banks and if Ulster offer a Laser card with a CV2 that might make me switch, also AIB won't give me a student overdraft :mad:
    Have you used your Laser like a credit card? Any problems you came across?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

I recently recieved the new AIB Debit Card that replaced the old ATM ones. Im trying to use it to buy online at Amazon as a maestro card. How do I find out what the issue number of my card is?? I cannot find it anywhere on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I recently recieved the new AIB Debit Card that replaced the old ATM ones. Im trying to use it to buy online at Amazon as a maestro card. How do I find out what the issue number of my card is?? I cannot find it anywhere on the card.

I think it can only be used where you see laser listed. Maestro refers to teh Maestro credit card.

I think its not possible to use on non-irish sites bara few big companies. At least that is what I have found to be teh case. You could try calling 24 Hour AIB Support

Merging this with a similar thread - Rubberbandits, have a read of the earlier posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Posting here rather than creating a new topic...

I have the latest Laser Card from BOI which I asked to be sent to me as I wanted to use it online occasionally. I tried using it on two different sites (http://www.baumanns.ie/ for instance - scroll to bottom of page to see cards accepted) which specifically take Laser, not just Maestro as seems to be the issue most people are having here, but when I try to complete a purchase it says either the checksum on the card is incorrect and to please correct or that the card number should have 10 characters whereas mine only has 8. This is all after choosing Laser in a dropdown menu (Visa and MasterCard also listed) and entering the number. The CV number is referred to also but states it's not needed if you're using Laser. The sites I've tried it on are both Irish so I don't see why it won't work. Any ideas?

Your card number should be a lot longer than 8 or 10 digits. Are you sure you're using the full, long number across the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Sounds like you are using the card number rather than the Laser number - The Laser number is about 20 digits long (sorry, dont have mine handy). Its definitely longer than a CC number

Advertisement