Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Casual' suit advice

• 17-08-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

I'm 20 now and I think it's about time I got a suit.

I want to avoid the "ten year old dressed in his dads suit for his confirmation" look and get something a bit casual while still being smart. The events I'd need it for are everything from fancy dinners, family get-togethers, christinings, weddings, funerals - everything really! So it needs to be a bit of an all rounder.

I remember seeing a guy in town once who I thought looked really well. He had a matching blazer and trousers, with no belt and no tie, and he had the top button of his shirt open. It looked really simple and nicely done, but I don't know if that is a suitable look for more formal do's like weddings?

These are the suits in Next's "casual" suit section:
    http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/men/tailoring/13/

I'm not too sure about the waist coats? But in the suit on the far left the collar has been kept open which I think looks good.

But anyway I know very little about suits at all, and am clueless about materials and all that jazz. I'd want to keep the price in and around 200 - 250 euro if at all possible (closer to 200 preferably) and am willing to go to Debenhams or those kinda places.

Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

bertoni's nice, picked up a grey suit there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

I can't give advice on where to buy suits but....

I wouldn't buy the trousers as tight as they have in the model in the picture on the left - a bit too tight imo

In terms of keeping it casual - I've seen guys put a smart granddad shirt under a suit which can look very nice and then they don't have to wear a tie

Also I'd go with a dark colour not the mustard as everyone will remember it and it'll be obviously you keep wearing the same suit!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

where abouts are you based? There is a shop in whitewater in newbridge i think its called 'bests'? they have a sale son at the mo and they had some lovely suits there at the moment at good prices. the lads that work there are very helpful to and everything is laid out by size so its easy to find what will fit you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Try Burtons , Got myself a lovely suit on sat, Great selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I'm in wicklow but can easily get into Dublin city centre. And I think "Bests" have a shop in Stillorgan which I will make sure I check out, thanks!

What do you guys think about colour? Do I have to stick to navy/black to pull it off at a wedding/funeral or would grey be okay also?

Also would you suggest avoiding the waist coats (like in my first link to Next's website)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My work clothes are a suit with no tie, and a nice pair of shoes. It's very easy for me to finish work, and head out socially wearing the same things if needs be. Definitely avoid the waiscoat, a 3 piece suit is best left for your wedding day and nothing else.

Suit jackets, or more correctly, cord/suede/velvet suit shaped jackets over jeans are very much making a come back over a nice cufflinked shirt. Could be no harm to take that approach if you want to wear something casually.

If it's for funerals, don't worry about black/navy, that's a throw back to the 60's when you absolutely had to wear black, and then have black diamond on your sleeve afterwards for a week or two. Wearing any suit these days (Within reason, loud colours won't work) to a funeral is a mark of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Somewhere like river island would also be a good bet, personally I think a black shirt and a pink tie is very effective in appearing smart yet casual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Heard an ad on the radio for a shop that is having a half price suit sale - I think it was in the omni on the north side - if I hear again I'll actually listen properly and post up the name!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

dan719 wrote:
    Somewhere like river island would also be a good bet, personally I think a black shirt and a pink tie is very effective in appearing smart yet casual.

Black shirt + pink tie? You'll look like a member of The Hives or something.

The only colour tie that should be worn with a black shirt is
    1. Black or
    2. None

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Depending on the tie, red can be pulled off with a black shirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Depending on the tie, red can be pulled off with a black shirt

Again, you'd need to be in a band of some sort to pull this off....
    Otherwise it generally doesnt look well at all.
    IMO at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Dunno, I think a sort've dark red works pretty well with a black shirt. (Well im biased since i was wearing that recently :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ae428nc1wvr5bg

'To avoid the "ten year old dressed in his dads suit for his confirmation" look', the most important things are fit and material. Don't bother with anything other than 100% wool. The cloth in suits is measured on scale from maybe Super60 to Super150, which is very fine and very expensive. The finer it is, the faster it wears out, so around Super100 is a good compromise.

BFMmayL.jpg

I think dark grey is perfect. Black and navy are a little more formal IMO, and you can wear either black or brown shoes with a dark grey suit.

Measure your chest before you go out and try on lots. Don't assume an expensive suit will fit better than a cheaper one. If you're in between sizes, get the bigger size and get it adjusted later. Lots of places now have slim fit suits which suit slim guys, obviously.

Make sure the arm isn't too long (this can be adjusted). You look like an ape if they are. If your watch and/or shirt cuff peeps out, they're just right.

almostperfect.jpg

Off-the-peg suits are generally all churned out in the same factories whether it's Marks and Spencer or Armani. So you can pay a premium for brands like that when the quality can be quite similar to M&S or H&M.

Otherwise, when it doubt, keep it simple; single breasted, two or three buttons (personally I much prefer two; three looks kinda British!). Avoid pinstripes unless they are very thin & discrete and absolutely not wacky colours like red or yellow or some other rubbish.

SleeveLengthPort.jpg

The same applies to shirt and tie combos. You can't go wrong with a white shirt and pretty much any flat-colour tie.

Button holes should ideally be straight, not keyhole-shaped (and make sure there's one in the lapel).

Match your belt to your shoes.

Wear your jacket buttoned while walking/standing up and unbuttoned while sitting. Never button the bottom button.

A suit is very versatile and the jacket looks great with jeans over a tee-shirt or a nice jumper.

Keep an eye out for the guys on http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/ wearing suits. All these photos are from that site, and they link back to their entries. Note that those guys have great style and are pulling off tricky shirt/tie/jacket combos. Keep it much simpler in the beginning. I'm mentioning them because the fit is really good.

Required reading is What If You Only Have £200? Classic tailoring on a limited budget: my advice. by a Saville Row tailor (the youngest, in fact).

So, if you only remember two things:
    fit and material!

(And keep it simple = classic = can't go wrong.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I recently bought my 1st proper suit, had the same concerns as the OP. In the end I went with Armani, bought in the states of course!
    Have to say it's a fine piece of work and also, a dark red tie can work well with a black shirt, it all depends on the tie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

DON'T BUY A WAISTCOAT! under any circumstances. They're just not good. Casual suits are handy enough to buy, you can get good ones in Zara and some of the cheaper ones in M&S are good. Bertoni are stylish enough as somebody else mentioned. The key thing is to pair it with a good quality shirt. Don't wear a black shirt with it, sign of somebody who's not used to wearing a suit tbh. And go for a navy suit. Black suit with white shirt can look a bit Fr Trendy:) Get a few decent shirts - TK Maxx occasionally has good quality shirts and ties at good prices. Also M&S can be reasonable, TM Lewin's shirts are v good quality and are relatively cheap in their sales which are done on a fairly regular basis. i don't like Best but that's just me tbh. If you do opt for a grey suit don't pair it with a red tie and a white shirt, you'll look like somebody making their confirmation in the 1980s! I'd agree with almost everything that Blixt said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

mcauley wrote:
    Black shirt + pink tie? You'll look like a member of The Hives or something.

The only colour tie that should be worn with a black shirt is
    1. Black or
    2. None

black tie on black shirt

no

no

burgundy/plum yes

a red and black tie can tie in nice too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

samsamson wrote:
    He had a matching blazer and trousers, with no belt

Shirt + Pants - Belt = Mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dan719 wrote:
    I think a black shirt and a pink tie is very effective in appearing smart yet casual.

OP - you'll be taken for a Shakin' Stevens impersonator if you follow this advice.

I can't really add to the advice already given but a few pointers....

In your price range, you'll get something nice enough in M&S or Massimo Dutti. The former is easily the best in that price range, if a little formal. The latter have decent, modern cuts if a little skimpy on materials.

Alterntaively, save up; hang on for the sales and pick up something nicer.

Fit, material and accessories (in that order) are the most important factors. If can't find anything that fits properly, get the suit altered. It doesn't cost much.

Don't get obsessed over trends or labels and don't ruin a decent suit with big blocky shoes or zany shirt/tie/trainer combos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭katiemac

My bf buys his casual suits in M & S. They are welling casual suits there for as little as €120 up to €250.
    I thing the most important thing for you is that you feel comfortable wearing the suit, whichever one you choose.
    If it adds to your personality, all the better.
    And remember, how many times are you going to wear it?
    I mean how many christenings, funerals and weddings will you actually attend over the coming year or two?

Advertisement