Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs in Cork..Age restrictions!!!

Options
  • 17-08-2007 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Right, I'm well pi**ed off, and I'm gonna get this off my chest!

Went to town after Leaving Cert results last Wednesday, only to find it impossible to get into clubs/pubs.

Redz said they were full, which is fair enough, considering we were kind of late, so we went onto Cubins. All queued up, 8 or 9 of us, all of us 18... the girls show their I.D., in they go..comes to us fellas, and all of a sudden, " its 19's lads..".

Now, we were all dressed well, shoes shirts etc, not knackerish, not drunk, no reason to refuse us. And, you wouldn't mind, but the girls came back out again , said it was completely empty, about 10 people in there...whats the story there???

Why are they so against us? Especially lads, girls seem to have no problem.

Mangans was also conveniently "full", pubs were all 21's.. it feels like being an underager again!

Walked around town till about 11.30, finally got into Fast Eddies...DJ was sh*te, crowd was small...disaster!

Anyone know of friendly places for us to go?!?!?!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Was in town myself on Wednesday night - and there were queues to get in everywhere, so I reckon Mangans' would have been full by the time you tried to get in there. I agree - nobody is going to let a group of lads in - always split yourselves up and don't look like a "gang" - go in two by two - or get a few girls to stand between you and enter with them.

Good Luck in future! J

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Grrrrr! I hate bouncers! Split up as mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

Will do..still tho, it does my head in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Stay out of town until you are 25+, place is turning in to a crèche these days. :D

• Advertisement

So what are you saying, that people shouldn't be legal until they're 25 anymore? I can't see hows thats fair, sorry..

alancork wrote:
    So what are you saying, that people shouldn't be legal until they're 25 anymore? I can't see hows thats fair, sorry..

Life's not fair, but it would make my weekends out all the more enjoyable, which is the main thing ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Unfortunately I think a lot of places in town seem to be opting for a higher age requirement for fellas (eg The Slate and The Crane Lane going for an over 23s policy) as a way of letting them easily filter out some of the scummier denizens that seem to be emerging more and more often these days.

To be honest the only way around this in the more popular places in the middle of town would be to turn up early. Either that or go for smaller pubs or at least pubs that don't have doormen.

Life's not fair, but it would make my weekends out all the more enjoyable, which is the main thing ;)

I take your point! Still tho,:mad: :mad: .... Whats the story with Costigans? Do they have an age policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

alancork wrote:
    All queued up, 8 or 9 of us, all of us 18... the girls show their I.D., in they go..comes to us fellas, and all of a sudden, " its 19's lads..".

oh you have a long way to go in the ways of the CLUB....
    first never go in groups.....i doesn't matter if your 35 ya still wont be let in, (bouncers don't like getting beat up by groups of fellas).
    second if ye are with girls......pair up,

i feel you may be a little green for club life....pity they don't do a little cop on course in the leaving

• Advertisement

i feel you may be a little green for club life....pity they don't do a little cop on course in the leaving

lol :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

By law if the place has a policy of over 19's or 23's etc the have to have a sign on Display on the front door saying so or else they would face hefty fines!! Report them and next time go in smaller groups!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Fysh wrote:
    Unfortunately I think a lot of places in town seem to be opting for a higher age requirement for fellas (eg The Slate and The Crane Lane going for an over 23s policy)

The Slate is a f*cking joke. I approached last friday night in my shiny trainers and the bouncer says "hows it going" and I walk right past him. I'm 21. My friend walks in 20 minutes later wearing proper dress code clothes and the bouncers ID's him and says no because he is 22. There is no bar in Cork I have to get in to so being refused doesn't phase me that much but to be that blatantly selective about it seemed ridiculous to me.

It's still just Bar Rumba without the minter Italian barmaid I tells ya!

Costigans is grand. They refuse anyone who looks like a potential problem or looks 17 or so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nillox

its just the bouncers, some let 15 yr olds in some let 55 yr olds in some dont let 22s. its the bouncers, plus theyll obviosly let the girls in mainly cuz theyre girls. just when ur queing up be quiet n all that dont attract attention. and since u said u went out on leaving cert night, no place would let a group of 18 yr old lads in on that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

best thing to do is look a bouncer in the eye, say "how's it going?" and walk right past him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭idlesupernova

Went to The Brog one night with two friends they would'nt let a friend in, he was sober, well dressed and 23. They ignored him when he asked why. I asked the three bouncers for the manager, they told me 'Go on in boy, you just have to get past the three of us' I then asked for their badge numbers and names they laughed and said Im 12, He's 6, He's 35' 'Ya might get lucky on the lotto'

We walked away to the sound of laughter, Great job they are doing eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bouncers in Cork are idiots, I had fierce hassle getting into Cubins when I turned 18 off one bouncer, I used to walk around the block and go back and try again stand to the side he wasn't on and get in that way. He stopped after I had a chat with the old fella on the door one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

razorblunt wrote:
    Bouncers in Cork are idiots, I had fierce hassle getting into Cubins when I turned 18 off one bouncer, I used to walk around the block and go back and try again stand to the side he wasn't on and get in that way. He stopped after I had a chat with the old fella on the door one night.

In fairness Cubins is a f*cking dump :) He was doing you a favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

I agree. I'm 23 and damn near sick of town. Havanas seems to be the only half decent place, went to Crane Lane the other night, good place but ridiculous music! Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Cork is legendary for this kind of rubbish. The amount of crap bouncers give you is unparallelled, I've never experienced it anywhere else. I don't like going out to clubs when I'm home for that reason, too many ego trips from bouncers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Yeah, I've been to the classic a few times but thought it was a bit crappy. Need to find a new spot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Any body know what Vibes niteclub near Carey's Lane is like??

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nillox

my friend got blown out of cubins i think it was for having 'offensive hair'.
    a short and styled mohawk bout 2cm long...hows that offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Because boncers have no dicks!

Advertisement