Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sects

• 17-08-2007 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I know the difference between Sunni and Shia but I have a question. For those of you who were not brought up Muslim but converted at a later age how did you decide which to follow and was it a difficult decision?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

No it wasn't really a big issue. I would have identified as 'just Muslim' if someone had asked me after my conversion. But, after one converts, one needs pretty quickly to do some practical things, like washing and praying. The way Sunni and Shii do those things differ in several small ways. I learned the practicalities of being Muslim from the people around me, who were Sunni, so I suppose you could say I drifted into being Sunni that way. I've never met a convert to Shii Islam, though I am sure they are out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Apparently two main Mosques in Dublin are both Sunni, and there is only one small Shia Mosque. Can anyone shed any light on this? Interesting as Shias are supposed to make up about 85% of Muslims worlwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

donaghs wrote: »
    Apparently two main Mosques in Dublin are both Sunni, and there is only one small Shia Mosque. Can anyone shed any light on this? Interesting as Shias are supposed to make up about 85% of Muslims worlwide.

Its the other way around. The majority is Sunni by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Oh yeh, sorry, thought I read somewhere it was the other way round. Maybe I was just reading about regions of the mid-east?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think Iran and Azerbaijan are the only majority Shia countries in the ME. There are large Shia minorities in parts of the Middle East e.g Lebanon, but if I remember right there rest are mostly Sunni.

• Advertisement
Advertisement