Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a PLC open the door to any degree?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Many PLC institutions have links with third level colleges which allow you to progess upon completion to selected third level courses. You would have to contact NUIG by email to see if a PLC qualification will entitle you to be to eligable for Arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hi guys,

Iam considering a PLC course in Retail Management and Buisness Studies.
    If I was to complete that course would that leave a gauranteed opening into any degree course? Say Arts in Maynooth?

http://www.pearsecollege.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=31

would they not have to be related why retail and then arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

Hi guys,

If I was to complete that course would that leave a gauranteed opening into any degree course? Say Arts in Maynooth?

http://www.pearsecollege.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=31

As far as i know ... PLC courses can progress into IT's. If for example you did a PLC course in accounting technician which is widely available at CFE's you can be exempt from 1st year and progress into 2nd year to become an accountant. Same goes for social studies. I think if you wanted to progress into a university though you would have to go through an access program offered by the university. I think you can apply as having attained an NVQ or FETAC qualification that you get through a PLC not the PLC itself.

All red tape im afraid ... but contact NUIM to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Hi guys,

No, I don't think this is the case.

Colleges accept you onto a Degree course if it's part of their listed PLC courses.
    Thus, if your course wasn't part of their list, then they cannot accept you.

Like Murderer said, you would have to contact the University in question and ask them what PLC do you have to do to enter Arts there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

would they not have to be related why retail and then arts?
    Well what other option is there? :S

Thanks for replies will call NUIM now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

I think if you do cultural and heritage studies in cavan institute and get distinctions you can then study arts in maynooth. Just check incase with maynooth.

Good luck!

You are correct last post!

The course I really want however is International Relations in DCU.
    I rang DCU 5 seconds ago and she said any PLC would get me in.
    I don't trust em so could anyone confirm this?

Thanks all

You are correct last post!

The course I really want however is International Relations in DCU.
    I rang DCU 5 seconds ago and she said any PLC would get me in.
    I don't trust em so could anyone confirm this?

Thanks all

You rang DCU and they answered your question! Who else would you ring?

I assume it was the admissions office?

It was but with youre ones attitude Iam terrified to apply to anything. Iam on hols on Sunday so I have to make quick decisions.

Hopefully if I do an IT PLC course, it will get me into DCU :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

It was but with youre ones attitude Iam terrified to apply to anything. Iam on hols on Sunday so I have to make quick decisions.

Hopefully if I do an IT PLC course, it will get me into DCU :p

If you want a Computer Science/IT course, you will need a PLC course that carries the [SIZE=-1]FETAC Level 5 Award CITXX.
    Make sure the course has some sort of Maths course and C programming to be on the safe side.
    [/SIZE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jeez i never thought of that...i better contact the college now.

Many PLC institutions have links with third level colleges which allow you to progess upon completion to selected third level courses. You would have to contact NUIG by email to see if a PLC qualification will entitle you to be to eligible for Arts.

Don't forget that if you do a two year PLC course as opposed to a one year course, the award you receive is equivalent to a level 6 Higher/advanced Certificate from a Third level institution.

For example, you could after two years studying a plc course, apply directly to a College to get into second or third year of a Degree course.
    This is a nice way of totally by-passing the CAO system as you apply directly to the admissions office and not that administrative building in Galway.

oh that's good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Why does everyone keep mentioning Galway......I don't think anyone referred to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

CAO is in Galway afaik.

Sorry Iam a bit panicky,

But for International Relations in DCU it says
    FETAC Level 2
    Students must present any award with distinctions in five modules

Does this mean any oul PLC will do?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think that should be Level 5 FETAC. It's what most PLCs award.

Level 2 awards are lower than Junior Cert.

**edit** OK I took a look at the webpage for that course. It does seem to imply any PLC course that awards what they call a Fetac Level 2 (but I think is 5, NCVA level 2) award.
    Distinctions in 5 modules is not easy, but it is do-able if you're committed to the course.

Double check with DCU and if possible, apply for a PLC course in either a related area or one that you know you will have an interest in. You might ask DCU if they can recommend a course, if any previous students have taken that route.
    Good luck.

Thats cleared it thanks a lot spurious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

I have got in to a plc course in Nursing Studies..Would I be able to get into a degree course in nursing in any college through that does anybody know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You would have to contact the PLC college you intend to do the nursing course in. They will be able to tell you what the progression is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

flonge wrote:
    I have got in to a plc course in Nursing Studies..Would I be able to get into a degree course in nursing in any college through that does anybody know?

Some PLC colleges have direct links to IT's.

steven22 wrote:

I don't think so.
    The direct link scheme is only used for NCVA/Fetac level 6 awards, so every other level 5 award is assessed through the CAO system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

steven22 wrote:
    How do I find out whether I can get in to universities on completion of this course?

Ring the PLC college and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

If you choose the correct PLC you can move up to degrees and further. A student of mine is doing a masters and started by doing a PLC. Great way forward.

I have to do a PLC now...I'll take the two years...not too sure if you can move on with it coz UL don't seem to like answering e-mails but i'll go as a mature student if it all comes to all, i'm in no rush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

can somebody answer this, like the OP the one in DCU wasnt very helpful, if i do a PLC in dunbone or BCFE in "preliminary engineering" can i go into mechatronic engineering in DCU ????

For courses that accept a PLC as entry, just doing the PLC isn't enough. You have to get a distinction in a number of modules. This is of course possible, but not that easy to do.

As to whether DCU accept it, only that particular department can tell you. You could ask the PLC provider too - they will know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

right im prepared to work for a distinction, itd be easier than repeating leaving cert maths ( a real crutch of mine), i wish engineering and maths werent glued together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Hi, i have done a plc this year and didnt get my course in dit for visual communications but i have a place on a plc course which is 2 years and they have direct links with the visual communications course so if i do good i can go directly into 3rd year dit after my 2 years in bcfe and its the same as if i would have gotten VC now

You will need to find a 2 year course (level 6) that is mostly the same as the course in dcu and id ask first if the course could get you into dcu

A one year course (level 5) wont get you into a second year, you will have to apply through the cao again and have much less of a chance of getting the course since most places are kept for LC studnets only and only a few (2-4) go to fetac, on a plus side you double your odds if you have a fetac and lc points

Hope it helps, and im not 100% on this so be sure to check this out

Advertisement