Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a PLC open the door to any degree?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

Have a look at Liberal Studies Certificate- Access to Arts, a course in Rathmines. If you do okay in it, you will get into Arts in Maynooth.

http://www.rathminescollege.ie/courses/pr_journalism/libart2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Would I be right in saying that a law related plc would be useless for trying to get into law in UCD,TCD, etc, considering the amount of points you need to get on those courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

Does your nursing studies course have a code like this after it (DCHSN)

Well google that code choosing pages from ireland and you shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

GDM wrote:
    Would I be right in saying that a law related plc would be useless for trying to get into law in UCD,TCD, etc, considering the amount of points you need to get on those courses.

I think they allow 1 or 2 places each year. Like all progression courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

gosimeon wrote:
    Have a look at Liberal Studies Certificate- Access to Arts, a course in Rathmines. If you do okay in it, you will get into Arts in Maynooth.

http://www.rathminescollege.ie/courses/pr_journalism/libart2.htm

Works for getting into UCD aswell. Although i was talking to the principal in Rathmines the other day, and she said last year there were about 20 places for Fetac holders.
    Don't forget that even if you do get your 5 distinctions, you're still trying to get in on a competitive basis. And the final few places(as in, if lots of people get 5 disctinctions) are appointed by the cao on a random basis.

Look at it this way, doing a Plc might get you into the course, whereas repeating will. I don't mean to tell anyone what to do, i'm just giving them the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CrazyStraighty

Just to be warned look at where you'll be going for your course. Some PLC colleges have an extrememly high drop out rate. Also, some teachers in these colleges have no teaching qualifications.

Ask the college where you want to go what there retention rate is, how many students from the course you want to do were accepted to college afterwards, inquire about the qualifications of who will be teaching you.

Also, make sure that the course you are doing bares a close relation to the degree you wish to persue. That will give you a better chance. Contact the admissions office of the university and get it in writing what you will need to be accepted to that course the following year.

There has been problems with progression from FETAC in some universitites and some courses so it's better to make sure you know what is expected before you start!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

i'm after going on to the fetac website and they said that limerick will take the fetac course code, EPAMX, that's the code of the PLC course i hope to do in Cork...despite the guy sayin no to me...

Advertisement