Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subjects :(

Options
  • 17-08-2007 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hello everyone ... I am going into fifth year in september after doing TY. The thing is i wasnt in half the days in TY as i was sick with my illness. So low nd behold we had to pick our subject choices and i picked :

english,irish,maths,home ec,business,geo,biology!

After thinking about it im wondering if these subjects will be information overload as none are really skill orientated ??

I got 1'a 6'b and 3'c in my junior in a mix of pass and honour papers only because i missed alot of school cos of my illness too!

I know i have the potential for a good leaving if i really put my head down and concentrate! I will miss school this ur with my illness but im planning on hitting the books right through 5th and 6th (well hopefully) !

Im also doing english, irish and maths at pass level as thats what i did for the jc! I'm bad at irish and higher level maths, i am good at pass maths but i dunno about taking maths up at honours for the lc! But english im contemplating on doing honours in so ill have a shot at 560 points instead of 520 !! i may ask about taking up an 8th subject !

i think i have confused myself with this post as it is a bit all over the place but i would just like to get to know your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I took up an 8th subject in Geography, I got a Higher B3. Many people do it.

There was people in my class you did those exact subjects and they got on great, so I wouldn't worry about an information overload especially as you are doing 3 passes I think.

You haven't done anything wrong or over the top, if you have the enthusiasm and will to get the points you require, you will do well.

Pity about the illness though, hopefully it won't pull you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

yeah-boy wrote:

I'm bad at irish and maths i am good at maths but i dunno about maths but english im contemplating on doing honours

WTF?????
    i think i have confused myself with this post as it is a bit all over the place but i would just like to get to know your thoughts on this.

ya think, im bloody confused. eh regarding the post, all i can say is that there is alot of learning off in those subjects. if you want to spend alot of time learning things off by heart, go for those subjects, if not, try accounting or chem/phy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I did Geography and Biology. Geography is quite easy to get an honour in, BUT BEWARE THE SRP's! An SRP is a significantly relevant point, and it's how your lc paper will be marked. An SRP has to be factually correct, and related to the question. You also need to have the answer be cohesive (eh..flow instead of fact..fact...fact) and related to the question in general. I actually forget the SRP count, but as I think a 30 mark question is either 9 SRP's or 12, and your option question, 80 marks, is 24 SRP's. It's not as difficult as it sounds, just practice questions from the exam papers, not that you need to do that yet. Keep on top of the work in 5th year, and pay attention and write down all measurements on your field trip. Your option question will most likely be biomes, but I did a different one, Culture and Identity, which I think worked in my favour since I went from a C1 in the mocks to an A2. When you DO get into 6th year and buy the exam papers, pay close attention to the 2007 paper and notice how it ****ed us all over...the 2006 paper and the sample papers all have the physical geography section into 1st question..rock cycle..2nd question..rivers...3rd question..plate tectonics, so you only had to study one. For our paper, they mixed it all around, and I had to talk about mining, aghh!

Biology got VERY dumbed down, paper changed in 2004. Don't be fooled, the course is still very broad. Do your best to study off the plant chapters, it's so boring, but very easy. You might want to ignore genetics but know the basics and the terms for short questions. I found photosynthesis the most difficult of all actually. Biology is classed as the easy science subject, but it's fail rate is 15%, only just behind Chemistry, and it's 4 or 5% higher than Physics. The revise wise for Biology is really good actually. When you're doing the experiments, write them up in your own words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

sd123 wrote:
    WTF?????

ya think, im bloody confused. eh regarding the post, all i can say is that there is alot of learning off in those subjects. if you want to spend alot of time learning things off by heart, go for those subjects, if not, try accounting or chem/phy

lmao i rushed the post lol ... fixed it now !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I did Geography and Biology. Geography is quite easy to get an honour in, BUT BEWARE THE SRP's! An SRP is a significantly relevant point, and it's how your lc paper will be marked. An SRP has to be factually correct, and related to the question. You also need to have the answer be cohesive (eh..flow instead of fact..fact...fact) and related to the question in general. I actually forget the SRP count, but as I think a 30 mark question is either 9 SRP's or 12, and your option question, 80 marks, is 24 SRP's. It's not as difficult as it sounds, just practice questions from the exam papers, not that you need to do that yet. Keep on top of the work in 5th year, and pay attention and write down all measurements on your field trip. Your option question will most likely be biomes, but I did a different one, Culture and Identity, which I think worked in my favour since I went from a C1 in the mocks to an A2. When you DO get into 6th year and buy the exam papers, pay close attention to the 2007 paper and notice how it ****ed us all over...the 2006 paper and the sample papers all have the physical geography section into 1st question..rock cycle..2nd question..rivers...3rd question..plate tectonics, so you only had to study one. For our paper, they mixed it all around, and I had to talk about mining, aghh!

I don't think he needs to know this at this stage. He'll forget it in a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are many areas of overlap between the Geography, Biology, Home Ec. and Business courses.
    That could be helpful.

Your Junior Cert. results are not really relevant to Leaving Cert. JC is designed to maximise the amount of marks you get and to have large numbers of people doing well. LC is not the same.

Try to attend every day, listen in class and do all your homework. Closer to the exam, do as many past paper questions as possible.

Advertisement