Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing heads...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What's the story with choosing your own Work Experience?

Headin into 3rd yr Sys & Net's, would prefer to arrange my own stuff

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

JohnCleary wrote:
    What's the story with choosing your own Work Experience?

Headin into 3rd yr Sys & Net's, would prefer to arrange my own stuff

We were told last year that while we could sort out our own placement, one of the lecturers would have to go and do a visit to the place you were intending on working in to ensure it is suitable. We were also told that the student would have to pay all costs of this visit.
    Now this isn't really that big a deal if you are looking at somewhere in Ireland (cost of a bus or train ticket) but one of the lads in my year was looking at going to America. I'd say thought that you could bring it up with the head of the department and if the company was fairly reputable then it would be grand but try and get everything sorted as soon as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

SaxoDuff wrote:
    if your usuing a wireless connection you can get onto it no bother, but if you use the computers in the computer rooms in the college its blocked off!!..bit stupid really, I could understand them blocking it in secondary schools maybe but not college ffs!!

try going into the only lab that has software you need, to find it full (literaly) of people on bebo. then if you get a pc, all you can hear is "OMG, I only got 20% on your quiz on bebo, AHHHHHHHH!" also it was killing the network. you can still access it with a proxy but a lot of people couldnt be arsed.

We were told last year that while we could sort out our own placement, one of the lecturers would have to go and do a visit to the place you were intending on working in to ensure it is suitable. We were also told that the student would have to pay all costs of this visit.
    Now this isn't really that big a deal if you are looking at somewhere in Ireland (cost of a bus or train ticket) but one of the lads in my year was looking at going to America. I'd say thought that you could bring it up with the head of the department and if the company was fairly reputable then it would be grand but try and get everything sorted as soon as you can.

Ah yes, I remember good oul Padraig Harte "Ye'll be payin for my flight to America, ahhahaha... hahahaha.... *more laughing* ahahahahaha *more laughing* so did anyone watch Roscommon play yesterday"

Argh! And now Michael Barrett is gone, don't know what the new head of dept is gonna be like

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

JohnCleary wrote:
    Ah yes, I remember good oul Padraig Harte "Ye'll be payin for my flight to America, ahhahaha... hahahaha.... *more laughing* ahahahahaha *more laughing* so did anyone watch Roscommon play yesterday"

Argh! And now Michael Barrett is gone, don't know what the new head of dept is gonna be like

How could you forget him. The guy who has replaced him goes by the name Keith Mc Manus and from what I've heard he's meant to be an all right guy so hopefully that's the case even though I am basing this on only a few interactions some of the lads in my course had with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

JohnCleary wrote:

I didn't know that. I got on great with Michael, does anyone know what his role is now? Is he back lecturing?

Dagon wrote:
    I didn't know that. I got on great with Michael, does anyone know what his role is now? Is he back lecturing?

He's still in the IT, rumour has it, but I can't confirm.

Michael was a legend in his own right. He *really* loved his job and had a genuine interest in computing (Lucky for us computing heads). Most Business (Lived with one) heads didn't even know who Michael Barrett was, the head of dept knowing your name was defo a bonus when it came to problem resolution

Dagon wrote:

Don't know what he is doing now. Some of the lads in the networking stream had him as a lecturer for a week or two and they said he was a brilliant lecturer. They said he really knew his stuff and could teach it well so for the sake of the students I'd hope he is lecturing again. What ever he's doing I wish him the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,924 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JohnCleary wrote:
    He's still in the IT, rumour has it, but I can't confirm.

Michael was a legend in his own right. He *really* loved his job and had a genuine interest in computing (Lucky for us computing heads). Most Business (Lived with one) heads didn't even know who Michael Barrett was, the head of dept knowing your name was defo a bonus when it came to problem resolution
    Yep, he is still around the IT.

Seen him a few times having lunch in the Aula.

He's as sound as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sobriety

Good to hear MBarrett is still around the IT. Yeah, I actually had him as a lecturer myself for a couple of years before he was head, sound as they come alrite.

• Advertisement

Does any one know what he's doing now?

@sobriety - Hope you didn't live up to your username at college. :D

He's still around the IT but he's neither head of the dept with Business&Humanaties anymore, and he's defo not gonna be lecturing IT students :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

I met with Keith McManus on Monday (27/8/07). He is one hell of a nice guy and was very helpful to me.

He was telling me that Michael Barrett id gone to the Registry to work on a two year project that involves modularising the courses. So yea he is still in the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

For the people going into 4th year s/w dev, have you thought about what project you'll be undertaking?

Vorrtexx wrote:
    For the people going into 4th year s/w dev, have you thought about what project you'll be undertaking?

Yes but I still haven't a notion what I'm going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Wel will definately be entering the Imagine Cup this year and John Kelleher tells me that this will be allowed to double up as student project for those on the team.

http://imaginecup.com/

Vorrtexx wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

eamoss wrote: »
    NERD!!!!!! :D:p

Like everyone knows there is no jobs in S.D :p

Is that true?

I have S.D. in Limerick IT down on my CAO. Is it similar to the ITS course, and if so any advice/info on S.D. in general?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭emoKILLER

Is that true?

I have S.D. in Limerick IT down on my CAO. Is it similar to the ITS course, and if so any advice/info on S.D. in general?

Thanks

dont worry! there is loads of jobs in SD, just look on monster.ie

Advertisement