Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub?

Options
  • 17-08-2007 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Whats your favourite spot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Duff

only been to the leitrim-was a good enough spot and the left bank-was class. I hear the brewery is good though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I personally hate the brewery. leitrim gets my vote just because i like a busy spot

• Registered Users Posts: 43,924 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Always loathed student pubs... but this is a student forum so i guess if i had to choose, it would be The Left Bank.

Not particularly a student spot but afraid i can't choose from The Leitrim / O Neills / Shenanigans / The Brewery as i loathe them all equally! ;)

For non-student pubs, i'd choose Fiddler's or The Belfry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm with basquille on this one. I pretty much never go to the student pubs as I hate them. The leitrim was decent a couple of years ago when they had bands out the back. One of the many things that pisses me off about the brewery is that at about 2 or 3 o clock when there is only a handful of people in, they blare the music at ear bleeding levels. I'm in there to chat with my friends over a few pints. How can I do that when you're blarin **** music in my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

i loved the leitrim last year it was a good laugh!!shenanigans wasnt bad either but i was up today and its shut and gettin gutted by the looks of it wtf like???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

flynnser19 wrote:
    i loved the leitrim last year it was a good laugh!!shenanigans wasnt bad either but i was up today and its shut and gettin gutted by the looks of it wtf like???

They're doing it up. I think it's being turned into a restaurant\bar or something like that. There's more info about it buried somewhere in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

O'Neill's was great circa 2003-2004 but fell down badly since then , never liked the Leitrim or Shenanigans , but I suppose it all depends on what you are looking for , Leitrim and Shenanigans certainly would be the most populated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

if they turned down the volume of the music in the brewery during the day, it would be ok. dont mind shanagans but im never there!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I think it depends on your age, and whether your class hangs out there or not. I had some great times in the Brewery and in The Leitrim (now O'Neills) when I was in 1st and 2nd year, and when all my class were out having the craic together. Also loved McGarrigles for bands and for keeping it real.

When you start getting older, (3rd or 4th year) you'll probably start really disliking all these loud, mindless, messy, overly packed drunken student bars, and also your class has shrunk a lot so you'll go somewhere a bit more chilled out, e.g. left bank, McGarrigles, Fureys, Shoot the Crows, McLoughlins...

Although that said, when I wanted to chase cute student chicks, you can't beat a glorious return to the leitrim and shenanigans, where you'll find lots of lovely girls all dolled up in short skirts, etc.. ;) you won't find much of that in the more "mature" pubs!!

Our group was kind of half and half in first year and second year. There were times when we would go to the student pubs and there were times when we would go to the more chilled out spots. Generally if we were heading to a nightclub we would go to the student pubs but if it was for a few pints, we wouldn't touch them.

Last year though was a different story. We only went near the leitrim a few times and that was to stock up on cheap vodka before hitting the nightclub. It'll probably be the same next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Can't beat McHughes for the bit o skirt lads but always best on a Saturday nite!

O'Niells has been done up (kinda) thank god.
    Shenanigans is being done up and it should be a great spot when finished.
    I hate Fiddlers and the Left bank myself.
    McLaughlins and Shoots are good spots.
    The Belfrey is still probably the "nicest" pub in town though. Definately the best smoking areas!

Gillie wrote:
    Can't beat McHughes for the bit o skirt lads but always best on a Saturday nite!

O'Niells has been done up (kinda) thank god.
    Shenanigans is being done up and it should be a great spot when finished.
    I hate Fiddlers and the Left bank myself.
    McLaughlins and Shoots are good spots.
    The Belfrey is still probably the "nicest" pub in town though. Definately the best smoking areas!

I couldn't agree more with ya on McLaughlins. It's a great spot with great pints and the shots they give out are massive compared to most pubs.
    Myself and one of the lads have been there every Saturday night for the past couple of months, and before heading to the night club we usually get a shot and there is so much in it. The first time we ordered sambuca they didn't even know if they had any. :)
    One of the girls that works there is really fit too which always helps. :)

I can't wait to see what shenanigans looks like when it's done. Does any one know when that is?

Seán originally planned to have it open by November but it doesn't look likely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Dagon wrote:
    Although that said, when I wanted to chase cute student chicks, you can't beat a glorious return to the leitrim and shenanigans, where you'll find lots of lovely girls all dolled up in short skirts, etc.. ;) you won't find much of that in the more "mature" pubs!!

and or course, dont they all have lovely bottoms!!

Gillie wrote:
    Seán originally planned to have it open by November but it doesn't look likely!

I thought they were trying to have it ready for when the college term starts.

Not a snowballs chance in hell my friend!
    The place is still just a shell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Havent been out in Sligo in ages but I used to be a student there in the
    old RTC days and early IT days. Never liked the Leitrim or the Brewery.
    The drink in the Brewery used to be shocking bad.

Normal Thursday evening for us used to be a couple of pints in Fureys then
    tip across to the Embassy for a few frames of snooker. After that, in to
    The Weir/O'Neills for the live band or before them days we'd head into the
    old Beezies before heading up to Equinox.

Quiet pints on a Friday evening in Foleys with the occasional session in
    Shoots, Hardigans and the Harp Tavern.

Good times ...

EDIT: Cant believe I forgot Connollys ... the best Carlsberg in the world!
    And if we were there on a Sunday afternoon for a few pints to watch the match on tv,
    they'd bring in pizza for us! Good times indeed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Awww 'Old Beezies' that's brought me back a bit. Loved the soup and sandwiches in there. Didn't drink there much. More in McGarrigles, Suzys (haha) and the Bear Cat!

TheBeach wrote: »
    Bear Cat!

Where's that?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Bear Cat ran in the early 90's in what used to be the Bective Hotel on Bridge Street. Site now occupied by Sligo Weekender and Marsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

TheBeach wrote: »
    Awww 'Old Beezies' that's brought me back a bit. Loved the soup and sandwiches in there. Didn't drink there much. More in McGarrigles, Suzys (haha) and the Bear Cat!

Jepers, havent heard of Suzys or the Beer Car in years!
    Is the Punchbowl still there ... and still punching!
    Vague recollection of it being a rough enough joint!

"The Punchbowl" is long gone. The "City Bar" now occupies the site. When O'Neills took over "The Weir" it signaled the end for live music in Sligo. Now they've turned it into some sort of a Celtic theme pub:eek::(

il gatto wrote: »
    Now they've turned it into some sort of a Celtic theme pub:eek::(

In fairness it's a lot better than the "old" o'neills!

Great place for watching the Celts though - in fact the only place!
    Will be there tonite!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cranmore

only place 4 celtic bhoys, i think not!

and as a former ITSligo student i can say with some amount of authority; avoid the brewery at all costs, the dirtiest pints and most watered down shots in the whole in Sligo!

cranmore wrote: »
    only place 4 celtic bhoys, i think not!

Where else is there apart from O'Niells on Churchill?:confused:

Hennigans on Wine Street had Celtic stuff on the walls when I was in a few years back. Don't know if it's still that way. Have no interest in Scottish football myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

As a bear myself I sometimes go to Foleys to watch the Old Firm games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

I thought they were trying to have it ready for when the college term starts.

It was supposed to be done for start of college but one of felix mchughs men did something against the planning guidelines and therefore the site was shutdown. He told me itll be done for christmas - they got it sorted anyway.

il gatto wrote: »
    Hennigans on Wine Street had Celtic stuff on the walls when I was in a few years back. Don't know if it's still that way. Have no interest in Scottish football myself.

Hennigans for a Celts match!!!:eek:

Never would have thunk that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ballymary

lads-have ye nothing better to discuss??seriously like?? hope the tax payers aint paying grants to ye!!

Advertisement