Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mondeo engine

Options
  • 17-08-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I just got off the phone with my mechanic; he told me the engine in my Ford Mondeo is a write off.
    I left it in with the main dealer last week after it started to give some serious trouble when driving. It was making a grinding sound and had very little power. It turns out some particle got into one of the cylinders and wrecked the piston and head. He said it would probably be cheaper to replace the engine then to try and repair the existing one. He recommends I ring around a few breaker yards and try and locate a low mileage replacement engine. If I can’t find one then I need to buy either a new engine or repair the current engine. He said a new engine might cost around €5000!
    Has anyone had a similar experience? Can any of you guys recommend a good breakers yard in the south east? My car is a 2.0 litre petrol 2003 Mondeo, so locating the same engine with low mileage and of the same year and in good condition could be difficult enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try www.traynors.co.uk. They are a large dealer in spare parts up North and deliver to the Republic. They might have a reconditioned engine in stock.

BTW I think €5k even for a new engine is shockingly over expensive and almost half the price of a 2003 Mondeo so if it costs that much (which I doubt) then the car is most likely an economic write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

bazz26 wrote:
    Try www.traynors.co.uk. They are a large dealer in spare parts up North and deliver to the Republic. They might have a reconditioned engine in stock.

BTW I think €5k even for a new engine is shockingly over expensive and almost half the price of a 2003 Mondeo so if it costs that much (which I doubt) then the car is most likely an economic write off.

that sounds like an accurate price for a new engine. When i had problems recently i was quoted €4900 plus VAT for a 1.9 Diesel Octavia engine. Then add in labour and new timing kits ect and it gets to 6-7 K very quickly :eek: :eek: :eek:

P.S In the end i got new conrods, MAFand timing belt installed and the car is running better than ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There are some good online breakers in the uk with access to more than here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

Thanks for all the advice guys. Traynors seems to be the best bet. They asked me for the engine number. How can I find that out? It's a 2003 2.0 litre petrol. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Engine number maybe on your registration document?

(It is on UK reg docs)

• Advertisement

Is the engine code the same as the engine number?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Seamus357 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Traynors seems to be the best bet. They asked me for the engine number. How can I find that out? It's a 2003 2.0 litre petrol. Any ideas?

Ask them where to find it in your car :) Thats what i did

Traynors said they have a 2003 2.0 litre mondeo engine with 30,000 miles on it for €1,000. Does that seem okay? It comes with a one month warranty. My main dealer wants €3,500 for a new engine.
    Have any of you dealt with Traynors? Are they a decent outfit? They want me to pay with either a bank draft or preferably a postal order.

Advertisement