Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improv Classes

Options
  • 17-08-2007 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but this is the only place I could find that it may even sort of fit.
    I would like to take Improv Classes in Dublin when I get back from NY in September. Does anyone have any suggestions or could point me in the right direction?
    Any and all help greatly apreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hi Conan, I am moving over (I am originally from Ireland) from Seattle in Sept and will be setting something up, just not sure if it is board etiquette to promote my own stuff here :) - I will pm you my email so I can keep you posted
    I am sure I will have involved some of the folks from The Craic Pack, and Comedy Dublin. If you google them you will find out about gigs too.
    I will likely be doing longform and shortform stuff.
    Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John Dawson

Hi,

Re you query regarding improv workshops.
    I teach improvisation workshops and have done so for over 10 years here in Dublin. Many members from troupes like Comedy Dublin, The Craic Pack, the Ha'Penny Laugh and have studied with me to date.
    I've a new 6 week evening workshop starting On Monday Sept. 28th. All workshops conclude in a live performance.
    All the info is on my website at:
    http://dawsondramaworks.com

Or you can email me directly for more info at:
    dawsondramaworks@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Best regards, break a leg...but never a funny bone.
    John Dawson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

boards.ie own drama group, No Drama Theatre, incorporate improv into their weekly workshops.

You will find the forum below.

http://nodrama.boards.ie

Your first workshop is free to give you flavour of whether you want to stick around. Membership is just €20 per month after that. Workshops run weekly.

Wow, this is digging up an old thread. But it seems like emails are ok then?

The spontaneous theatre people have one-off workshops in Cork, Galway,
    Dublin and other places depending on need. Our last double workshop in Dublin sold out quickly, and we prefer to work intensely with smaller groups for maximum effect.
    John is a good bet if you are looking for regularly weekly professional improv classes (see post above).

Spontaneous Theatre People are hosting a workshop in Autum that will focus on Musical and Non Verbal improv for improvisers with experience. Take your improv to the next level and heighten your work. PM me or email wing ding films at yahoo dot com to be put on our mailing list.
    Instructors in this workshop have worked and performed with members of US cast of 'whose line is it anyway', and taught imrov worldwide. We will also be working with two accomplished theatre musicians who are also both releasing new albums this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John Dawson

inisboffin wrote: »
    Wow, this is digging up an old thread. But it seems like emails are ok then?

The spontaneous theatre people have one-off workshops in Cork, Galway,
    Dublin and other places depending on need. Our last double workshop in Dublin sold out quickly, and we prefer to work intensely with smaller groups for maximum effect.
    John is a good bet if you are looking for regularly weekly professional improv classes (see post above).

Spontaneous Theatre People are hosting a workshop in Autum that will focus on Musical and Non Verbal improv for improvisers with experience. Take your improv to the next level and heighten your work. PM me or email wing ding films at yahoo dot com to be put on our mailing list.
    Instructors in this workshop have worked and performed with members of US cast of 'whose line is it anyway', and taught imrov worldwide. We will also be working with two accomplished theatre musicians who are also both releasing new albums this year.

Thanks for the plug, Spontaneous Theatre People.
    I too have experience with the Whose line.. gang, having trained at Toronto's Second city myself.
    I've an almost sold-out 6 week workshop starting here in Dublin on Monday, Sept. 28th.
    So, due to the demand, I'm creating another on Tuesdays, starting on Oct. 10th.
    Best of luck with your own workshops. Sounds great. Would love to meet up some day and yak.
    Break a leg...but never a funny bone!
    JD

• Advertisement

Nice one John. Yes, would love to do some improv with you someday. I think we have worked with a lot of the same people in the States!
    Am all about spreading the gospel of Improv! ;)
    I know you were down in Cork recently, and just to let folks down there know, the lads from Snatch Comedy often run workshops and drop-in classes there, and are a great bunch of folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 guthlaf

Thanks for that Insiboffin! That longform session was great! We'll do it again soon, either here in Cork or up in Galway.

See you soon!!

Guthlaf

Hi guthlaf, headed back from a *brilliant* Johnstone Masterclass in London tomorrow, so looking forward to doing some good work with you soon!

Advertisement