Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UNIX install with no cd / floppy

• 17-08-2007 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all

THis is my first post

I have a laptop that I got for free

A DELL L400

I dont have the removable CD drive that was originally with it

I have been looking up on how to install unix without a CD / Floppy drive

So far I have come accross using PXE network boot, removing the hard drive and connecting it to my desktop and making the drive bootable

I know that it cant boot from usb but it can boot from network card but with no success. It keeps saying it cant find bootable media??

So does anybody have any ideas as to what I could do

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If it has windows on it you could just go here : http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

If you have to netboot it, you need to set up a bootserver and DHCP server ( and disable any other one you might have in a dsl modem etc on the network)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think there's something similar to that goodbye microsoft for ubuntu also.

Ash bushy said, for pxe you'll need to set up a dhcp and ftp server on another box (and disable the one on your router or disconnect the boxes from it). The dhcp server tells the network card at boot time where to find the tftp server / boot image. All in all.....It'll take about an hours reading and an hour's fecking about / setup the first time.

Advertisement