Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a question about Galway NightClub

Options
  • 17-08-2007 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

I am going in a nightclub tonight So, What is the best place to go dancing ? GPO or the CP ?
    I know quite well the GPO, CUba and Karma. A lot fo people in my company said me that the CP is a very good lace in Galway, better than GPO ? Really ?
    Cause at this moment I jhave a preference for GPO.

THx all

See U ++

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

GPO is a rough enough crowd. CPs is where all the posers go. Take your pick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

CP is where all the kiddie posers go, Halo for older posers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Cp's and Halo are where the hottest women go.

Hence, the guys go. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

CP is where all the kiddie posers go, Halo for older posers!

I wouldn't say that, just because the people that go there make the effort to dress up a bit when going out doesn't make them a posers.Likewise i don't assume the large brigade of people that go out in worn skate shoes and grubby t-shirts are crustys.

I often feel I only make an effort in Halo (ok past tense cos I'm not keen on going pregnant) because I had to. Wouldn't have gotten in otherwise! Terrible generalisation but I think a lot of poser-types go there, I used to hate the way people mixed so little in there compared to other clubs...and no it hasn't been long since I've been there.

• Advertisement

And thanks Drake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

If you're looking for a Saturday night club head to Gigantic@ De Burgos (Augustian St). Good tunes, nice atmosphere and decent crowd. Good for if you're going with a mix of people because it's quiet enough at the front bar so people can have a chat, loud at the back bar if you don't want to talk to the people you're with and there's always mad people on the dancefloor so you can dance whatever way you like and still look deadly.

Out of interest what does that cost?

8euro in, which I think is one of the cheapest entrance fees for nightclubs around Galway. Also, they charge pub prices so there aren't any pints or bottles for a fiver for example. They're on myspace and their page is www.mygigantic.com if you want to check out what they play etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And crackin' tunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Yeah, the reason they charge pub prices is because it's a pub. Not a nightclub. They just have ... well it's difficult to say what kind of a licence they have but it's a late one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Fletch123 wrote:
    If you're looking for a Saturday night club head to Gigantic@ De Burgos (Augustian St). Good tunes, nice atmosphere and decent crowd. Good for if you're going with a mix of people because it's quiet enough at the front bar so people can have a chat, loud at the back bar if you don't want to talk to the people you're with and there's always mad people on the dancefloor so you can dance whatever way you like and still look deadly.

I second that! Went to Gigantic on Saturday night and for the first time in Galway I felt completely at home. Halo is grand, but I'd prefer to get on with my night and not spend so much time looking at other people and being looked at. Music was great, crowd was friendly...I was so happy. :) I've found my Saturday night place. Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

These threads are always the same. Someone asks where to go (though it's more generally in the form "I'm coming to galway this weekend...") and everyone on the board basically plugs the place they go to themselves.

I go to Halo, therefore that's where you should go.
    I like the Vic, therefore everyone would have a great night in the vic.

etc. etc. I personally think it's impossible to recommend a place without knowing exactly what kind of night the enquirer is looking for, what kind of music they like, do they mind having to put on shoes, would they be caught dead in runners etc.

Someone may be into their "bangin choons" and we could send them to Massimos!!?? Someone else lives for Death Metal and we send them to CP's like!

I suggest in future people give a description of the nightclub/pub they are suggesting, including the type of music, dress code etc.

There's also a high degree of Dominick St. types on boards (and more power to ye) which tends to lean suggestions towards the GPO/Vic/De Burgos etc. And away from Halo, Living Room, Front Door. IMO the GPO is a sausage fest cack hole and I'd be gutted if I went somewhere for the weekend and ended up in a place like that, but to each their own.

And no-one ever, ever suggests the Warwick... for shame!

And now I'm left wondering who you are from Halo...very much the same crowd there most weekends. Good point though, music taste & dress sense a huge factor in recommending a venue.

And now I'm left wondering who you are from Halo...very much the same crowd there most weekends. Good point though, music taste & dress sense a huge factor in recommending a venue.

I haven't been to Halo in months to be honest...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The Warwick is too far out of town.

wet-paint wrote:
    Yeah, the reason they charge pub prices is because it's a pub. Not a nightclub. They just have ... well it's difficult to say what kind of a licence they have but it's a late one.

It's a members club rather than a pub, it's only open in the evening or for certain events such as Gigantic where it's advertised as a nightclub.. It's still good though that they charge pub prices! :)

Popebuckfast- I gave their website so the OP could get an idea of kind of place it's like and what music they play, and I think since there's usually a good atmosphere in there and a nice mixed crowd that it's a safe bet recommendation.

Out of interest, whats on in the warwick on a Saturday night? Haven't been there since Strange Brew on Thursday years ago.

Hi Fletch,

I've been known to frequent DeBurgos on a saturday night myself, I used to go to Gigantic every week when it was in Cuba, it's not just this thread I'm referring to, but there's regular "I'm coming to galway this weekend with the lads/girls..." threads.

The Warwick is ok on a Saturday, DJ (all sorts, don't be surprised to get Beyonce & House of Pain in the same night) in Dishco area and Band in the front Bar. I always have good crack out there, but I only go out there every couple of months really.

It feels very local Galway, most of my Galway friends go there semi regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Isn't half the craic the journey to and from The Warwick? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Someone else lives for Death Metal and we send them to CP's like!

so does Club Pi still do that Death Metal Room/Night on a wednesday night? Sin City?
    is there actually a metal night anywhere in galway? i know one or two have happened in the past from what i have heard but i dont think i lived here when they were on.

any recommendations for a bit of metal other than Sallys,which can be quite different on a saturday night with the CPs crowd.
    i also find gigantic a bit samey...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Club Pi

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Club Pi. Club fcuking Pi?!?
    They could have the Pope, Jimi Hendrix and the car from Knight Rider there and I still wouldn't darken it's door

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

The car from Knight Rider would be a draw and a half :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

These threads are always the same. Someone asks where to go (though it's more generally in the form "I'm coming to galway this weekend...") and everyone on the board basically plugs the place they go to themselves.

I go to Halo, therefore that's where you should go.
    I like the Vic, therefore everyone would have a great night in the vic.

etc. etc. I personally think it's impossible to recommend a place without knowing exactly what kind of night the enquirer is looking for, what kind of music they like, do they mind having to put on shoes, would they be caught dead in runners etc.

Someone may be into their "bangin choons" and we could send them to Massimos!!?? Someone else lives for Death Metal and we send them to CP's like!

I suggest in future people give a description of the nightclub/pub they are suggesting, including the type of music, dress code etc.

There's also a high degree of Dominick St. types on boards (and more power to ye) which tends to lean suggestions towards the GPO/Vic/De Burgos etc. And away from Halo, Living Room, Front Door. IMO the GPO is a sausage fest cack hole and I'd be gutted if I went somewhere for the weekend and ended up in a place like that, but to each their own.

And no-one ever, ever suggests the Warwick... for shame!

We need a Sticky of Pub and club reviews.

We do surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

GPO GPO GPO...just me then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

the-furbo wrote:

I guess so. Not many people want to see underage kids chewing the face off themselves.

the-furbo wrote:

Posted at 1:35? was someone just in from the GPO by any chance? ;)

Imagine a GPOer in Halo...funny stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Went into the GPO cause I had free pass last night, stayed for a drink and fecked off to CP's

I'm only 21 but feel old in the GPO :(

• Advertisement

My cousin is only 21 & no longer even goes to CP, the joys of starting to go out early in life!

Advertisement