Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruthland Street

Options
  • 17-08-2007 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

I am considering buying a house within this area (10 mins to work in the morning). Just wondering what the area is like. Is it as bad as it seems?. I currently live on the North Strand (ballybough end) and find it OK. Any advice goodm bad o otherwise would be great. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I am considering buying a house within this area (10 mins to work in the morning). Just wondering what the area is like. Is it as bad as it seems?. I currently live on the North Strand (ballybough end) and find it OK. Any advice goodm bad o otherwise would be great. Thanks :)

Well if you're already living up that way, it's no better or worse to be honest. That probably wasn't very helpful, don't know why I bothered posting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They're putting a lot of money into that area and many of the local community are trying to change things.
    I suggest since you already live so near, take a walk up a few nights at about 10pm or midnight and see how you feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do you mean Rutland Street? (or is there also a Ruthland Street?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Collie D wrote:
    Well if you're already living up that way, it's no better or worse to be honest. That probably wasn't very helpful, don't know why I bothered posting.
    and have you lived there??

growing up around the Strand I know for certain that Rutland St is a dive compared to Ballybough. It always has been. I know this to be the case.

I defo wouldn't move there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm originally from Summerhill, I went to Rutland St. school and although I've long moved away from the area I still have family living there so I think I can talk about it with some authority.

If this is a starter home, and its very cheap and your definitely NOT going to raise children in it then why not give it a go.

But you won't keep a car safe there, you'll defo need beefed up security around the home but living that close to the city has its rewards for a single person or young couple starting out.

Alot of those old house's are alot of work, ie. re-wiring, damp issues, old wooden floors etc so get an excellent surveyor and don't take any prisoners.

Best of luck if you make the move. But do bare in mind that this area has huge anti-social problems and don't go in blind to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

tHanks for the info. I lived in Darndale for a year so i'm well up on the effects of anti-social behaviour. I'll be buying on my own and plan on moving down the country in a few years time (if i have children).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I reckon Rutland street area is no better nor worse than where you are now, and no worse than Darndale. If you're moving outside Dublin, why not stay where you are for the moment and make a single move later - moving is such a pain, why do it more than you have to?
    Either way, good luck with the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I have to as i cant rent in my house anymore. Decided i dont want to rent anymore as i've been here for a while. I've looked at Westmeath also so i'll probably end up there and commute. It's impossible to afford a house on your own in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Jay D wrote:
    and have you lived there??

growing up around the Strand I know for certain that Rutland St is a dive compared to Ballybough. It always has been. I know this to be the case.

I defo wouldn't move there.

That was helpful, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Collie D wrote:
    That was helpful, thanks
    no problemo :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement