Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prem Fixtures and Fittings Thread (scores included)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Archimedes wrote:
    Whos to say that just because Cech would have been sent off that Liverpool would have scored the penalty and went on to win?

What sort of ludicrous point are you trying to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Did i miss where it was proven that it didn't cross the line?

And i mean definatively, not some crappy sky re-construction cause i've seen some of them when it was proven it did, and some where it was proven it didn't.

Or do we just take wat Jose says as gospel?

chelsea beating Liverpool in Anfield with 10 men and probably one nil down - are you having a laugh Archimedes? that'd rank among the greatest results ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Youre saying that Liverpool would have scored the penalty - whos to say they that? Maybe theyd have missed, Chelsea would have taken confidence from knowing they escaped from a one goal deficit and Jose would have made the appropriate changes and gone on and won the match, albeit by extra time or penalties. What im saying is you have no way of knowing what would have happened if the penalty and red card would have still resulted in a Liverpool victory.

Don't even know why we are bothering to talk about this.

1-it was two years ago

2-it was a goal as far as i'm concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

nipplenuts wrote:
    Short memories. Liverpool got to a CL final through a refereeing howler - Garcia v Chelsea. What goes around comes around. Gerrard was right :D

I'd bet my weeks wages Mourinho was happier at the ttime to be 1-0 down than to be down a goalkeeper and facing a peno, cos that was the alternative to the goal.
    Was that not Bolton ? And the scored from the free kick ?

Yeah the Reina one V Chelsea was when he was sent off for "hitting" Robben in the face.

Archimedes wrote:
    Jose would have made the appropriate changes and gone on and won the match, albeit by extra time or penalties. .

They had that chance last season and didnt win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nipplenuts wrote:
    Short memories. Liverpool got to a CL final through a refereeing howler - Garcia v Chelsea. What goes around comes around. Gerrard was right :D

?!? Are you serious? wheres the comparison? What makes the Garcia goal a howler?! Whats your definition of a howler? Mine would be a definately wrong call that was very clearly wrong to everyone involved. Something almost comical it was so wrong. Garcia's goal was a matter of inches. The thing that got it the publicity was that it was a big big game, but that doesn't change the level of the mistake. Styles error this week was actually hilarious and every viewer and their dog could tell it was wrong. Similer to in the united V spurs game when the ball got scooped out from a few yards behind the line - that was also a howler as any reffing team should have clearly seen it between them.

Garcia's was either a very tight call he got wrong, or a leniant call to let chelsea keep 11 men on the field.

Thanx4thefish, yeah i could well be wrong on the handball game, just had it in my head that it was chelsea. Probably just mixing that and the Reina Robben events together.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This whole discussion about the Garcia 'goal' is so utterly pointless. Reading this thread you'd swear that Liverpool are the only team to have ever been unfairly treated by a referee.

it wasnt liverpool fans who brought up Garcia's goal..

what i dont really get on this topic is the us v them mentality. IMO this isn't really a decision to be treated like the villa one last week, or any other tough call mistake. I would have thought a decision like this would have only provided an everyone V stiles reaction. Noone likes being on the receiving end of a bad 50/50, but Stiles call wasn't one of those, it was the most idiotic thing i've ever seen from a ref, just made a bit of a mockery of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

This whole discussion about the Garcia 'goal' is so utterly pointless. Reading this thread you'd swear that Liverpool are the only team to have ever been unfairly treated by a referee.

I guess all fans think that they are singled out when they get a bad call, dont worry sooner or later it will even itself out. Hey just be happy it didn't happen it a really important game, like say, the quaters of a cup comp or something ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It doesn't really matter who brought it up, just who is discussing it and debating whether last weekend's lunacy 'makes up for it'. Talk about karma if you like but the tit-for-tat discussion about individual incidents is just ridiculous. These things happen.

Referees should be punished for terrible decisions in order to make sure that they are kept honest and to ensure that they give every game their full concentration. But I also think that they aren't given anywhere near enough support from the likes of FIFA and so on. They're getting cut to pieces by the media and the fans who have the benefit of endless replays from all angles, and they're just told to take it on the chin. There is absolutely no good reason when the referees shouldn't get video assistance with their decision making process just like everyone else does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I'll admit that we were poor yesterday, and it wasn't a penalty, but depite Liverpool outplaying chelsea for long periods, how many saves did Cech have to make?
    2 is my count, we reduced them to long range shots.
    btw what was the deal with Torres gonig down with an ankle injuty, didn't the rules state if a player goes down with a head injury, then the play stops? they were in a threathening position too when he blew.

Threatening position is a bit rich.

As for Torres going down, what did you expect Stiles to do, he had an absolute nightmare. Why wasn't Lampard booked/sent off for kicking out at Alonso????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have to second that. As pointed out, where was all this outrage when Styles wrongly gave Liverpool a peno against Sheffield United last year?

wasnt really as bad a decision tbh, also the Sheff Utd game wasnt exactly a 6pointer.

big decisions in big games need to be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

^Had they got a point out of that game, theyd have stayed up. So dont say its not a big game just because you lot had nothing to play for.

Slightly different situation and a fairly close call as to whether there was contact. It was a much more difficult call to make like anyone who goes down in the box with someone very close to them trying to tackle them.

The one last weekend was obviously not a peno for so many reasons, and styles couldnt have been in a better position to see that.

again the obvious difference is that the pen from the sheffield game was a tough call, it wasn't easy for the ref to see and its tough to blame him for getting it wrong. Sundays was so wrong it was hilarious. The ref was a few feet away and pulled a penalty out of his arse.

Thats why theres more outrage - any decent ref should be getting easy calls like that right. Im sure if it was a close one, that actually looked something similar to a penalty which was wrongly given, it would not generate anywhere near as much controversy. IMO its the size of the mistake rather then the size of the game thats damning - though of course being between 2 of the main teams, it means pretty much everyone see's it, and all the media are present in force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

wasnt really as bad a decision tbh, also the Sheff Utd game wasnt exactly a 6pointer.

big decisions in big games need to be right

Wasn't a six pointer!!? How many points did Sheffield United go down by? They should of had two extra there.

Lemlin wrote:
    Wasn't a six pointer!!? How many points did Sheffield United go down by? They should of had two extra there.

They also shouldnt have got sucked back into the relegation fight after being 10(?) points clear of it late on in the season, but they did.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:

is a 6 pointer not a game against a close rival, where by winning you gain 3 points, but also stop them getting 3 points, therefore 6 pointer.

apologies about the not a big game thing. silly thing for me to say. but as rebel pointed out, Liverpool v Sheffield Utd was never a six pointer, but in hindsight it was an important game.

but, stand by the other thing i said, totally different thing because opinion was divided as to whether or not Gerrards one was a peno, whereas its universally accepted that Styles pulled a decision out of thin air with Finnan and Malouda

Advertisement