Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP laptops good, bad, or indifferent

• 17-08-2007 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Just think about getting a new Laptop and If I buy a HP I can get a 20% discount on the price,
    I’ve never used a Hp before, they look good and have all the extra bits and bobs but are they any good.
    If anyone has one can they tell me what they think of It
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

I ve bought one which should be here Monday.
    Done some research and they appear to be among the top brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 macpaddy

The pavilion rage look really good ,I have a dell at the moment but it's on it's way out and I don't like any of the new dell range,
    If you can keep me posted when you get it I'd like to know what you think of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Personally, I have nothing good to say about them.

My Pavillion gave me nothing but trouble. Having said that, I appear to be in the minority around here.

macpaddy wrote:
    The pavilion rage look really good ,I have a dell at the moment but it's on it's way out and I don't like any of the new dell range,
    If you can keep me posted when you get it I'd like to know what you think of it

Here s the one I m getting from Dabs. Was waiting one a Dell but when I compared this to the one I was getting this had far more for my money.
    HP dv9565ea

I can only describe it as a beast!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Two of my friends have hps and have caused them nothing but trouble. One is currently getting a motherboard replacement. The other was returned to pc world for fixes about three times. After it fúcked up when he got it back the third time he brought it back and got a different make.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Here s the one I m getting from Dabs. Was waiting one a Dell but when I compared this to the one I was getting this had far more for my money.
    HP dv9565ea

What graphics card does it have. Can't seem to see it there.

tom dunne wrote:
    Personally, I have nothing good to say about them.

My Pavillion gave me nothing but trouble. Having said that, I appear to be in the minority around here.

Hey Tom,
    Could you give me some examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 macpaddy

HP dv9565ea

Hey Tom,
    Could you give me some examples?

I think thats made my mind up for me, I think I'll stick with Dell,Go with what you know,Thanks for the advice

Two of my friends have hps and have caused them nothing but trouble. One is currently getting a motherboard replacement. The other was returned to pc world for fixes about three times. After it fúcked up when he got it back the third time he brought it back and got a different make.

Not good. Ah well I ll see Monday :)

What graphics card does it have. Can't seem to see it there.

Yeah, Dabs doesnt list it but the HP says NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M
    Whether it comes as standard we ll have to wait and see
    HP DV9665ea

• Advertisement

Not good. Ah well I ll see Monday :)

Well, the guy who had to have the motherboard replaced is by far the most unluckiest person I've ever met so it could just be his luck. He has had so many problems with it though. The battery life went to shíte in no time, the sound stopped working on it 10 minutes after he turned it on and sometimes it used to make a loud beebing noise when it was turned off. The only way to get it to stop was to oul out the battery. He couldn't return it for ages either because he needed it for college. In fairness to them though he left it in to get fixed about two weeks ago and he's getting it back this weekend. Hopefully you donn't run in to half the problems he did.

Well, the guy who had to have the motherboard replaced is by far the most unluckiest person I've ever met so it could just be his luck. He has had so many problems with it though. The battery life went to shíte in no time, the sound stopped working on it 10 minutes after he turned it on and sometimes it used to make a loud beebing noise when it was turned off. The only way to get it to stop was to oul out the battery. He couldn't return it for ages either because he needed it for college. In fairness to them though he left it in to get fixed about two weeks ago and he's getting it back this weekend. Hopefully you donn't run in to half the problems he did.

Frickin Hebe Jebe's now ha ha ha
    Hopefully I ll be luckier

DO you know where he got it from and what model?

Frickin Hebe Jebe's now ha ha ha
    Hopefully I ll be luckier

DO you know where he got it from and what model?

He got it in a computer shop ini Athlone. I haven't a notion what the name of the shop is. Don't know the model either but I'll be chatting to him Sunday evening so I'll post it up Monday morning if you like.

He got it in a computer shop ini Athlone. I haven't a notion what the name of the shop is. Don't know the model either but I'll be chatting to him Sunday evening so I'll post it up Monday morning if you like.

Cool that would be great

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Dell Vostro is where its at :)

dell-vostro-big.jpg

Cool that would be great

I'll do that so. I'll probably forget to post it up so if it's not here by lunchtime on Monday drop me a pm.

conzymaher wrote:
    Dell Vostro is where its at :)

dell-vostro-big.jpg

Not really impressed with the Vostro. Cant see the big deal about it.
    You can get a Inspiron which is the same or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I got a HP Pavilion DV6331eu a couple of months back or so, I had a Toshiba previous to that and I can say, so far, that I am very pleased with my HP.

It did actually work out of the box :p , it hasnt self destructed ;) and neither has it fallen apart due to shoddy construction :rolleyes:

If I could say one bad thing about this range of HP's, its the finish.....the area around the keyboard is a glossy silver finish with little swirly lines, it gets very grubby and shows up finger marks, dust and dirt very easy! As well as the top casing, its a really glossy black, again with lots of swirly lines, this to shows up smudges, fingerprint and dust very easily, so you'd need to carry a lint free cloth about with you if you want it looking clean all the time.

All I can tell you mate is, if you like it, it has what you want and you're happy with it, then buy it!! No point asking opinions, EVERY manufacturer will have good AND bad points :)

Thanks Croppy.

I could see from the pic s that it would be glossy and figured as much about the dust and that but the features it has will keep me happy for a long time.

Advertisement