Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a language to get into universities ?

Options
  • 17-08-2007 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Do you need a language to get into all the universities in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Excluding DIT, the various IT's and DCU, you need three languages for all courses in all NUI Universities.
    It does not make any sense to me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Excluding Trinity also, they require English and one language which can be Irish.

Makes perfect sense to me. Colleges have certain broad matriculation requirements so they enrol broadly educated students. Asking you to pass a language is hardly a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

you just have to pass ordinary level in most cases ie if you're not applying to do a language

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Excluding Trinity also, they require English and one language which can be Irish.

Makes perfect sense to me. Colleges have certain broad matriculation requirements so they enrol broadly educated students. Asking you to pass a language is hardly a big deal.

Oppps!, forgot about Trinity.
    I suppose it isn't a big deal to pass a langauge, but to exclude someone who has all the other matriculation requirments is a bit rubbish tbh.

you just have to pass ordinary level in most cases ie if you're not applying to do a language

I think you need a HC3 in English and a European language for heavy language based courses.
    Well, at least when I looked through the DIT/DCU prospectus's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Naikon wrote:
    Oppps!, forgot about Trinity.
    I suppose it isn't a big deal to pass a langauge, but to exclude someone who has all the other matriculation requirments is a bit rubbish tbh.
    Filters out those who are too stupid to read the course matriculation requirements tbh.

An OD3 in a language isn't hard to get.

Actually, I think this is one of the only courses that imposes that said requirement.
    Considering it's a Journalism course, seems fair I guess.
    Business with a Language only requires a D3:confused:

http://www.dit.ie/DIT/study/undergraduate/programmes07/DT553.pdf

I Think DCU might be the same, but I am not 100% sure.
    I will look at other colleges.

Advertisement