Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I do not understand.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP, two things.

One, it's genocide unless the top brass approve it (look at WW2).

Two, the winner writes the history books (again, WW2).

=-=

Oh, and stable means that they don't sponsor anti-[insert super-power here] idea's.

Soviet Russia ensured it's neighbors were stable.

France thought that the US war against Iraq was unjust. Saying that, France knew that any deals it had regarding Iraq's oil would be null and void if Saddam was removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I remember receiving a chain email from a colleague about human rights atrocities in Afghanistan......There was also the destruction of several world heritage sites in Afghanistan because they were Buddhist and went against the “One True God” philosophy.
    I was going to reply earlier but am just getting around to it now.
    When the Taliban destroyed 2 of the statues at Bamiyan, the site was not on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
    Bamiyan didn't get listed til 2003.
    I remember reading a bit about back then, and after seeing your post felt like setting the record straight.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1197611.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Mick86 wrote:
    Why not?
    Right, now you're just not making any sense.
    Mick86 wrote:
    Nobody protests at any war except those perceived to have been started by the US, Britain and Israel.
    I beg to differ (speaking from personal experience), but anyway, it should be pointed out that the US has had a hand in most conflicts in the world's recent history:
    http://www.history.navy.mil/wars/foabroad.htm
    Mick86 wrote:
    So it's not the fault of the bombers at all then...
    Again, I did not say that.
    Mick86 wrote:
    it's America's fault for not stopping them.
    Well, they're not doing a very good job, are they? Where is the "stable", democratic Iraq we were all promised when this war was begun by the US and Britain? And would you be so kind as to remind us what the reason for this war was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

RedPlanet wrote:
    I was going to reply earlier but am just getting around to it now.
    When the Taliban destroyed 2 of the statues at Bamiyan, the site was not on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
    Bamiyan didn't get listed til 2003.
    I remember reading a bit about back then, and after seeing your post felt like setting the record straight.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1197611.stm

My Bad, although whether or not they are listed, they were destroyed for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

My Bad, although whether or not they are listed, they were destroyed for the same reason.

Possibly but possibly not.
    There was a story in the NY Times i think, that said a swedish crowd had contacted the Taliban offering to restore the heads and faces of the statues and the Taliban suggested instead, to take the money to feed the children; however the swedes protested and said no, the money would be used for the restoring of the statues not for feeding anybody. So the Taliban destroyed the statues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement