Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beans Of Evil have Been Sown

Options
  • 18-08-2007 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Right, I know I'm gonna get a pelting for this
    but I want to know what the big fascination
    is with the fourth reich that is Starbucks.
    They charge ridiculous prices, firstly.
    Why do you need to pay that much?
    Also the place and drinks in general stink!

If I want to be dis-respected by some smart-arse college boy
    I'll stand outside Trinity and tell them to eat their poo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

you won't get a pelting here for those sentiments. Most people who really like coffee won't be too fond of Starbucks.

However, if you don't like them don't use them. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭banaco73

I agree with reactor used them once in the UK not impressed and have not used them again:) :)

To answer the question of the fascination (that customers have)... its a number of things. The environment in a Starbucks should be comfortable, nice relaxing jazz in the background etc. Creates that Friend's Central Perk atmosphere. While the coffee is not great to people who's standards are high (like a lot of the regulars on this forum), the quality is probably better than a lot of the stuff available in this country until recently.

There's a huge void in the market for the kind of place where you can go, get a nice coffee, sit in a comfortable chair and read a book, or a newspaper etc. Starbucks ticks some of those boxes. Plus they also cater for the non-coffee drinkers with their frappuccinos etc.

I don't hate them, its just that they're standards are not as high as one would hope.

Also I wouldn't call them evil. By all accounts they are a good company to work for and they pay more for their beans than the likes of Nestle who are a far bigger player in world coffee than Starbucks.

(PS while I don't like their espresso based drinks, I think their brewed coffees are quite good).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

By all accounts they are a good company to work for
    Definitely not by all accounts...

Sparks wrote:
    Definitely not by all accounts...
    Of course not by all accounts, but they generally are ranked well among the best companies to work for lists. I was using "by all accounts" in its more general colloquial form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement