Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best stretch of road in Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Maybe so. I remember its on the the way to Glenveagh National Park from Letterkenny... .... I love the sense of loneliness in that photo.
    Yup, that's the one. It can be an 'interesting' drive after heavy snow - no hedges to provide a guide for the edge of the road! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

nialler wrote:
    Killarney to Kenmare via Conor's Pass

Did that in a hired Micra back at the end of the great summer of '95. Did not come across a single other car. The biggest culture shock of my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

A few shots of some of the roads mentioned in previous posts – Bob Montgomery in the Irish Times has done a fantastic job of documenting these great drives in his series of articles in the motoring section over the past 2 years. Driving on great and challenging roads is not all about top speed and intimidating driving – so when you take a run on these roads keep alert and enjoy! :cool:

Carlingford over the windy gap – that’s the road in the background!

north3.jpg

The Burren – start of the R480 used for the Ballyallaban Hillclimb course

Burren.jpg

Lough Finny in Connamara

LoughFinny.jpg

Car1.jpg

Sally Gap

SallyGap.jpg

Road to Leenane

R366leenaan.jpg

R366 in Connamara

R366.jpg

R345

R345.jpg

Doo Lough

Doolough2.jpg

Wicklow Gap

wicklowgap.jpg

Near Ben Bulben Sligo

sligo2.jpg

L166 The Cut Slive Bloom Mountains

Waterford.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

nialler wrote:
    Killarney to Kenmare via Conor's Pass (is this right). Followed a local one day in my brand new (1997) Opel Corsa back through the pass at speed, needed new underwear but by god that woman could drive, haven't been that direction since but will try it again sometime.

Killarney to Kenmare is over Moll's Gap. The Conor Pass is from Camp (outside Tralee) to Dingle. By the way, Moll's Gap is used in the Rally of the Lakes, and it takes the top rally cars 9 minutes to travel from Muckross House to about 3 miles outside Kenmare!

Both Moll's Gap and the Conor Pass are class, but the best down in that neck of the woods are Ballaghbeama Gap, Borlin (Kilgarvin to Bantry), Caragh Lake, Slea Head (on a winters weekday morning to avoid the tourists) and the Healy Pass (both ways)

My favourite is the R607 to Kinsale, especially the twisty bits by the turn for the Battle of Kinsale site. Now that stretch is a test for suspension, grip and big grins!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

nialler wrote:
    Killarney to Kenmare via Conor's Pass (is this right).

Moll's Gap is the one you're thinking of. Conor's Pass is between Tralee and Dingle and is utterly spectacular, too. The road is on a small shelf of rock clinging to the side of the moutain, with rock overhanging the road on one side and a sheer drop the other.

Damn! Beaten to it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement