Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

triggers for "DFH superior"

Options
  • 18-08-2007 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

hi - i am looking for some kind of drumkit that i can use as triggers for DFH superior. I am just not into playing the drums off the keyboard any more, so i want a kit. I am not a drummer and will probably end up quantizing most of the stuff that i do anyway, so i will probably just get the cheapest one that will do the job. Obviously the sounds are not important as i wont be using them - all i need is a midi out. Really nice mesh heads or something like that would probably be wasted on me, but i need it to be pretty good at velocity sensing. With this in mind i can see no reason why the cheapest kit on thomann.de wouldnt do me fine.

millenium drum kit

would anybody who knows something about this warn me if i'm making a mistake before i waste €400
    i know i can exchange it if it's not what i want but i'd rather get it sorted without messing around
    :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I've looked at that kit too. I suspect that the type of problems you might encounter are:
    Kit construction - flimsy, moving around, squeaking, bits not fitting right

Response - missing triggers, double triggers

Design limitations - it won't have dual triggers for rim shots on the snare, or ride/bell. It probably won't have anthing fancy for intonation bar velocity on hits so snare rolls sound like machinegun fire

Latency - not sure what the latency will be like from the midi out to your midi in to your host to DFH - it may make the kit hard to play (of course you could monitor from the harware module and mute the DFH brain while recording)

I'd be curious to hear how you get on if you buy it. If it sucks you'll probably get mack much of your money when you sell it. As somebody who struggles with a basic 4/4 beat it might do somebody like me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bwinter

I've setup a Yamaha DTXplorer ekit with DFH superior & it works pretty well. I had to upgrade my PC as DFH seriously Hogs memory & tends to run with a high cpu usage. If you've anything less than a dualcore PC & 2GB of RAM you might noticed latency & issues particular playing fast beats. Also the kit load times can be painful with mic leakage turned on. Then again you can knock this feature off and only add when the bells & whistels when your ready to render your mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

roland have just brought out a relatively cheap version of the v-drums. Most of the cheap drum pads I've played have really been awful with regard to midi triggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

jtsuited wrote:
    roland have just brought out a relatively cheap version of the v-drums. Most of the cheap drum pads I've played have really been awful with regard to midi triggering.

thanks ..
    could you be more specific about "aweful" - what are the main problems - i could handle false triggers if there werent too many as i could just delete them on cubase, and am not too worried about pad feel and response as i am not a drummer but i am a bit worried about latency alright - i dont like the idea of playing along with the sounds out of the box.
    do you happen to know the name of the roland you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

thetourist wrote:
    thanks ..
    could you be more specific about "aweful" - what are the main problems - i could handle false triggers if there werent too many as i could just delete them on cubase, and am not too worried about pad feel and response as i am not a drummer but i am a bit worried about latency alright - i dont like the idea of playing along with the sounds out of the box.
    do you happen to know the name of the roland you mentioned?

it's called the roland HD-1.

The pads are super-high quality. here it is on thomann.

latency and mistriggers were the main problems i had. Also the velocity sensitivity was completely crap.
    When it comes to something like this, I personally would be prepared to invest a little bit more for something like the roland.

P.S Sorry about the vagueness of my original reply. It was late etc.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

jtsuited wrote:
    P.S Sorry about the vagueness of my original reply. It was late etc.:rolleyes:

not at all - thanks

Advertisement