Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI enabled Premium out in U.K. next week?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

More concerned about when the new processors will be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Why?

Surely if the new motherboard and new heat pipe resolves the RROD it makes zero difference? Other than the cost to produce from Microsoft's perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Smaller processors will produce less heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

if my 360 dies what are the chances of getting an Elite? assuming they dont have any normal ones left.

3 year warranty could be a good thing ;)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Premiums will be around for a good while yet, so unless it dies in about 5 years there's probably little hope unless you put the difference in cost to it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Thinks of trading in my Premium for the Elite though. It's getting a bit strange and slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I bought my Premium this weekend and a hdtv. But the tv is only hdmi capable, anyone know of any way around this? An adapter or anything? Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Moiph wrote:
    I bought my Premium this weekend and a hdtv. But the tv is only hdmi capable, anyone know of any way around this? An adapter or anything? Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Are you sure there's no component or vga input? Or even dvi?

If it only accepts hi-def via hdmi then I'm afraid you're kinda screwed. The premium 360 has an analogue video board and hdmi is digital only so even if there was such an adapter it wouldn't work. The only solution would be a analogue to digital converter which are ridiculously expensive.

You're best bet is to try and return the tv for with one a component input, or return the 360 and wait for the Elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

cant you get adaptors that make the premium hdmi capable?

Are you sure there's no component or vga input? Or even dvi?

If it only accepts hi-def via hdmi then I'm afraid you're kinda screwed. The premium 360 has an analogue video board and hdmi is digital only so even if there was such an adapter it wouldn't work. The only solution would be a analogue to digital converter which are ridiculously expensive.

You're best bet is to try and return the tv for with one a component input, or return the 360 and wait for the Elite.

There is a VGA input and I know I can get a VGA cable for the 360, but even then I still have to plug in the audio components. The only inputs I can see for them are 2 PC audio ones next to the VGA input. If they worked, I still have a slight problem, on the red and white components theres like little plates around the connection that keep it held in when you plug it into an input eg the scart connection. Those little plates are stopping the components from slotting in correctly to the PC audio inputs on the tv

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

cant you get adaptors that make the premium hdmi capable?

No the current premiums can't output digital video. And HDMI is digital only. I suppose MS could release a very expensive adapter but the converted signal would be lossy, defeating the whole point of hdmi.

The new premiums that just arrived in the States have hdmi.

Moiph wrote:
    There is a VGA input and I know I can get a VGA cable for the 360, but even then I still have to plug in the audio components. The only inputs I can see for them are 2 PC audio ones next to the VGA input. If they worked, I still have a slight problem, on the red and white components theres like little plates around the connection that keep it held in when you plug it into an input eg the scart connection. Those little plates are stopping the components from slotting in correctly to the PC audio inputs on the tv

As long as there's VGA there you should be fine. There are ways around the audio, adapters etc. The red and white composite connections should work though.

I've heard VGA looks better than component anyway.

Any ideas how to how to get round the audio situation? Other than having to buy a surround sound system or something :D

Those red and white inputs should work. Are you sure they won't fit? What does the manual say? There has to be audio input for the VGA or else there's something wrong with the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

Moiph wrote:

Sounds a little odd.

What type of TV is it?

My samsung has 2 phono connectors beside the VGA input but you actually need to use a 3.5mm audio input which is black and almost invisible.

Well I'm gonna presume that the 2 PC audio inputs are for the VGA cos a VGA cable is technically meant to be used if you're using the lcd tv as a monitor for the PC isnt it? Or so I've been told anyway.

They do fit in, but they're very loose and look like they'd fall out if they have any weight on them.

Its a Mirai LCD Conar, probably my own fault for buying a cheap enough lcd! It looked good at the time!

Are they labelled as PC inputs?
    Reason I ask is that mostly (unless we are talking about surround sound etc) PC just use a single audio jack to output stereo.

Could the connections you are looking at be Phono inputs/outputs for a different mode?

Yeah they're probably phono connections, try connected headphones to one of them. The 360 vga adapter comes with a phono adapter anyway, although my crappy Philips has the phono port squashed up on top of the dvi port so I couldn't use it.

They are phono connections yeah. One is blue and one is green. I'm not at home at the moment so I cant tell you what exactly they're called, but I do remember something about PC audio being mentioned underneath them. So if I get a 360 vga cable I should be sorted?

Sounds like component connectors to me, I've never seen green and blue connectors on a TV for anything else....see wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

• Advertisement

No you're right they are component connectors, sorry about that I was getting a bit confused there for a min, I'm not great with the terminology on a lot of stuff! But they are definitely audio inputs

In that case they should be red and white and work fine without the need for an adapter. If they're loose you may just need to push them in harder.

The Red Green and Blue carry the video and the (second) red and white carry the audio AFAIK.
    I would check the manual and see where the PC audio input is.

On my tv the component audio in is seperate to the PC audio in so may be the same with yours.

See therein lies the problem, there are no connections on my tv for the red, green and blue components. Or any components for that matter! Except for the 2 PC audio ones.

I was just talking to my mate who works in xtravision, they sell the same model tvs and he told me I need the 360 VGA cable to have hd work on that tv so hopefully that will solve my problem! Cheers for all the help by the way lads

Advertisement