Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobility issues and ASD

Options
  • 18-08-2007 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I just thought I would start here.I think parents/Careres of children with ASD should be given a disabiled passanger card?
    Have any of yous tried, what was the result.
    Should I invite them to come on a short car journey with my CHILD , Stop at two shops and I think they would change their minds.
    Cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The autistic-and-related ASD or the heart-problem ASD?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SpicyNoodle

Hello Cathy,

I have a feeling you are referring to Asperger's. I think my Mother was inquiring about one when I was younger but nothing seemed to come about it. I am not sure what your rights are when it comes to getting a disabled parking sticker, you may want to contact IWA (Irish Wheelchair Association) as they are the one's who issue the parking permits. Telephone 01 818 6400 or E-mail- http://www.iwa.ie

They are also issued by the Disabled Drivers Association, Website- http://www.iol.ie/~ability/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

thanks for that, I mean the Autism ASD.
    The lovle children, like my Daughter who HATE going out, new people, noises, people touching them, just by passing them by.Doors, tills, milk aisle, will I go on or do you gett he idea.
    from the time I pick up my car keys I get
    "I want to go home"
    I had her in Dublin yesterday, in a pram, shes 5.
    Its easier as poeple dont bump into her, she can just sit there and not get to upset.No one moveing in her way, things like that.Going from one shop to another in car , parking ticket miles away from whrer you want to go, tot he shop , back move car, parking ticket tot he other shop.I will try them and see but like you say, I dont think we will have much luck,
    thanks ,
    Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I was under the impression that the Wheelchair stickers are for mobility impaired individuals and their carer's if with them.
    Since your child doesn't seem to suffer from any serious mobility issue I'm not sure why you would qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I think because the mobility issue is not psyical but psychological.People cant see the impairement.But as her mum I can.Her ASD causes for her to get distressed while out and there are pople and places.Its VERY difficult to drag a 5 year old anywhere , but a ASD child thats 5 is very difficult.
    you can get a disabiled passenger sticker,
    Cathy

• Advertisement
Advertisement