Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT - do they enforce the download cap? What about Smart?

Options
  • 18-08-2007 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I need to get out of my NTHell at the moment and considering BT or smart.
    I would love smart but i dont want to pay for the phone calls for the whole house,
    where BT do standalone broadband (we have an eircom account that my dad pays for)

Do BT enforce the cap and what is the contention like?
    Smart claim there is no contention at all, you have your own line?
    Is there anyone else I should be considering?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

okcomputer wrote:
    I need to get out of my NTHell at the moment and considering BT or smart.
    I would love smart but i dont want to pay for the phone calls for the whole house,
    where BT do standalone broadband (we have an eircom account that my dad pays for)

Do BT enforce the cap and what is the contention like?
    Smart claim there is no contention at all, you have your own line?
    Is there anyone else I should be considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I had smart in my last house, 3mb DL no cap. Great broadband. Can't get smart where I'm living now so went with BT rather than my other option of Eircom. Got the BT in yesterday and its fast. Don't know what they do about the DL cap though? The BT router/modem only has 1 ethernet port on it compared to the Smart router which had 4 ports for multiple computers to be connected up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Ive been with BT since about july 2004 and can tell you that they dont enforce the cap at all. The only time they enforced it with me is once when i was cut off about 3 days before my cap being reset for going over my cap by 27gb, as the nice man at the end of the phone informed me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Smart have no DL limits - there is an "acceptable usage" policy, which presumably mean that if you're on 24/7 constantly downloading, they reserve the right to impose something, but I've never had a problem.

Smart have 1:1 contention, which means that the speeds are pretty constant all the time.....there have been some comments on what the impact on the backhaul network would be if Smart suddenly got loads more customers, but given my dealings with them I reckon that if that happened, they'd be happy enough to invest in an upgrade.

Advertisement