Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autobiographies

• 18-08-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭

anyone recommend any decent footballer autobiographies for me to read?

already read Sir Alex's, Keano's, Quinns

Wasn't sure whether to post this in literature or here but would probably get a beter response here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Paul McGrath's autobiography is a good rid, a bit shocking at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think I must have read the biogs of half the Irish team during the Charlton days (McGrath, Stapleton, Townsend, Cascarino etc) but the only one I remember being a good read was Mick McCarthys "Captain Fantastic".

Intertesting to read about a little vendetta he had with Bulgaria's Sirakov during the qualifiers for Euro88. Sirakov spitting, cheating and diving in Sofia Bulgaria, McCarthy getting revenge by kicking him up and down the park in Dublin. Refreshingly honest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Fantastic-Football-Career-Experience/dp/0862782376/ref=sr_1_1/202-3623201-5496604?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187435492&sr=1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Paul McGrath's is another one. There are only so many autobiographies you can read. Have a look on Amazon, there are plenty of books out there on English football and world football.

Tor: The Story of German Football by Uli Hesse-Lichtenberger is one I'd recommend but there are plenty of others out there to suit whatever interests you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Tony Adams is another that's very good

Would recommend Kenny Dalglish's too, the section on Hillsborough alone is worth reading.

Robbie Fowlers, whether you love him or loath him is worth a look, as is Nobby Stiles if you're looking for something a bit old school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

shoutman wrote:

cheers i was thinking about giving this a read, i read some extracts of it but just didn't have time to read it.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    I think I must have read the biogs of half the Irish team during the Charlton days (McGrath, Stapleton, Townsend, Cascarino etc) but the only one I remember being a good read was Mick McCarthys "Captain Fantastic".

Intertesting to read about a little vendetta he had with Bulgaria's Sirakov during the qualifiers for Euro88. Sirakov spitting, cheating and diving in Sofia Bulgaria, McCarthy getting revenge by kicking him up and down the park in Dublin. Refreshingly honest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Fantastic-Football-Career-Experience/dp/0862782376/ref=sr_1_1/202-3623201-5496604?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187435492&sr=1-1

thanks may as well for a few quid

has he an updated one, to involve all the world cup/keano stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

damienom wrote:
    Tony Adams is another that's very good

I Agree, Im in no way an Arsenal fan and found it a very good read. Havent got a chance to read Paul McGraths yet but ive heard its excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Gazza is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Thought Tony Adams one was good too, not your usual ****ty football biog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Adams autobiography was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

*ahem* BLUE - Barry Ferguson....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Davie Cooper - True Blue, written about 3 or 4 years before he died.
    A cracking insight into a true genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Eirebear wrote:
    Davie Cooper - True Blue, written about 3 or 4 years before he died.
    A cracking insight into a true genius

christ i forgot all about that - cheers bud. why did you no mention that afore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

odonnell wrote:
    christ i forgot all about that - cheers bud. why did you no mention that afore?
    Only found it again recently when packing stuff up, ill get it to you when i next see you, great read, great player
    EDIT also a funny one....Mo Johnstone's first book a couple of years before "that" move.
    The last line in the book is..."and who knows, maybe some day I'll even sign for Rangers...Aye Right!"
    brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

While we're on the topic, did anyone else thing David Beckhams autobiography was great up until the point he met Victoria in it? I was really enjoying it until she was mentioned, and then was nearly every second word in the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

tony cascarino's and paulo di canio's are two of the best i have read.eamon dunphy's is a good read aswel a diary about one seasom in the 70's its often being referred to as the best football book about.there is a book about garrinca(spelling?) brazilian footballer that is a very good read.A book wrote about robin friday(70's footballer who played for reading)is a classic.got it from a cousin ,who is a reading fan, a few ago and its deadly. if ever a man wasted his talent it was him, he makes george best look tame .its worth buyin if only to read what he did to mark lawrenson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

shoutman wrote:

I've heard good things about the book. I've also been told that his story is quite harrowing at times.
    Tony cascarino's biography is also supposed to be an enjoyable read.

good stuff lads will definitely be reading some of these

keep em coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I second Gazza. Great read. Sometimes shocking but some very funny moments aswell,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Patsy McGowen's book "the Strings of my Harps" is a good account of the birth, rise and "downfall(according to Patsy)" of a football club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Left Foot Forward: A Year in the Life of a Journeyman Footballer and Left Foot in the Grave, both by Garry Nelson give an interesting insight to life in the lower leagues, both as a player and a coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ajax, Barcelona, Cruyff.

Not actually an autobiography, but a series of interviews he gave to two Dutch journalists over about 30 years.

A few years since I read, but it was a fantastic read, but you'd really wanna be in to football and understand it to enjoy it.....

Advertisement