Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners - Package/No Package

Options
  • 18-08-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Every year in winter my friends and I talk about going skiing and every year it doesn't happen. So this year, slightly more in advance, I said I'd take it upon myself to research all the options and come up with a plan.

I generally don't like doing package tours but I thought seeing as we're all pretty much beginners (I had a few lessons when I worked in Switzerland, some of the others went when in New Zealand) that it would be the best option. However there doesn't seem to be the greatest opinion of directski here, for example.

Also on the packages I don't really see prices for the actual skiing - equipment rental, lessons, ski passes. Where can I find these prices?

A lot of you seem to do it yourself, but did you do that on your first ski trip, or did you go on a package and figure out where you were being ripped off and how you could do it better yourselves?

If it really makes a huge difference, I would try and organise it myself, but I am wary of the fact that (consciously or sub consciously) my friends might be blaming me if something goes wrong.

So, what would you recommend? And if package, any good alternatives to directski? I had a look at Inghams, as I came across a lot of their reps in Wengen, but their website seems very complicated.

I will be taking the time to do more research into it myself, just looking for some tips, anecdotes etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

if you have a big group its probably cheaper to do it yourself.
    There are three of us heading away this year and it was cheaper to book with directski

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's hard to get an exact price online when there are a lot of you, because you generally get a discount (one place free, divided among everyone) if you have 10 people or more (although that may vary between agencies) and I find that most sites only let you go up to 9 people.

Personally, I'd go with the package tour for your first time. We're going direct this year for the first time, and while it is working out slightly cheaper, it's tough enough and I don't think I would've been able to do it the first time. For example, we're looking into Andorra, but the chalet we want is only available from a saturday-to-saturday basis, and there are only flights on either the friday or sunday, so we're gonna have to bunk up in a hostel somewhere. You'll also have to organise your transfer (which is often pretty long).

I think going through a travel agent is worth it for the peace of mind. Then, if you feel like you could've done everything yourself, try going direct next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

have to agree with Necromomicon book the holiday directly with the tour operator.

for beginners / low intermediates i'd recommend soll austria, with the postwirt for the accomodation if you want somewhere comfortable, don't book early here it's quite a low resort, say anytime after 3rd week jan is okay- added advantage short transfers.

anywhere in andorra, soldeu arinsal, pas de la casa are excellent spots for a bit of partying:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

when is a good time to go?

considering snow likelihood and peak season expense/crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Christmas to end of March is main season. Peak is christmas to 6th jan and Febuary. Snow is almost always there on time but 7th Jan - mid March is best for snow from what i have seen. If it snows early then it will also be good but i've seen 2/5 years where there was little or no snow before the 6th/7th Jan.

Before christmas is great for skiing IF there is snow as there are fewer people on the pistes. Not an option really though when flights are involved unless you go somewhere where you can have a fallback of a glacier should there be no snow. Prices will be cheaper then too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Last week in January first week in Febuary
    equipment rental, lessons, ski passes. Where can I find these prices?

These really depend on where you go.

Pass in Livigno this year is ~€170 euro for a week
    Equipment rental is ~€80
    Lessons depends on many people private/group/class

Where are you thinking of going?

I check all the main travail agents when I book a holiday then I see what I can get it for myself. Sometimes it works out much better with a tour operator.

The first thing to do is decide where to go after that its easy enough.

Have a look at the Stickies above for some destinations people like.

Maybe Andorra (Soldau) or Livigno would suit you some place with lots of blues and a decent nightlife

Advertisement