Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locked keys into Yaris

Options
  • 18-08-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can help here! My brother's after locking his keys into his '99 Yaris and I wondering if anyone knows any tips/tricks for getting them out? He's currently trying to hit to central locking button on the door with a hanger, but with not much luck.

If we can't get into the car ourselves, what does he need to do? Call a locksmith or something?

Any help would definitely be useful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Does he have AA , or does his insurance have breakdown assistance of some type.... its standard on lots of polices these days and covers keys locked in cars....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

NiSmO wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

For herself it was a type of fancy coat hanger , but this was an older car (92) with no central locking....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

last time i locked my keys in the car I got a rock and smashed the small back window cost me €30 to replace. then again im an impatient person and didnt wanna fiddle with a coat hanger for ages / leave the keys in the car overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

saw a clip on utube or somewhere where someone cut a small hole in a tennis ball (size of lock) and pushed the ball against the lock. Air pressure popped the lock up.Worth a try I suppose

• Advertisement

im fairly sure though that the tennis ball trick was for older cars not 99 yaris'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

apparently if you hit the front tyre of a car with a sledge hammer, the locks will pop open because the car will think your in an accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭DrChoda

Call AA if you can. I saw them use some sort of blow up cushion that they squeezed between the top corner of the door and the roof of the car.
    They blew it up, then used a long wire to push the central lock button.
    ( I personally thought there would be an easier way than possibley bending the car door, but I suppose its fine if they are not rough with it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

apparently if you hit the front tyre of a car with a sledge hammer, the locks will pop open because the car will think your in an accident

I heard if you get your car onto a fltbed and brought to a car crusher, the keys fall out of the resulting cube. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

If you have comp insurance just break a small window. There is no excess on window cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

Stekelly wrote:
    I heard if you get your car onto a fltbed and brought to a car crusher, the keys fall out of the resulting cube. :)
    ;) i heard that off some kids in clondalkin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

DrChoda wrote:
    Call AA if you can. I saw them use some sort of blow up cushion that they squeezed between the top corner of the door and the roof of the car.
    They blew it up, then used a long wire to push the central lock button.
    ( I personally thought there would be an easier way than possibley bending the car door, but I suppose its fine if they are not rough with it.)

Had to get a guy out and that's exactly what he did. We were trying to hit the central locking button inside the car, but it did nothing when it was pressed as it seems to be disabled when the engine is off.

Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

nachos wrote:
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help here! My brother's after locking his keys into his '99 Yaris and I wondering if anyone knows any tips/tricks for getting them out? He's currently trying to hit to central locking button on the door with a hanger, but with not much luck.

If we can't get into the car ourselves, what does he need to do? Call a locksmith or something?

Any help would definitely be useful!

Most keys can be cut via the chassis no, once you have the log book and can prove you are the owner, a toyota garage or a good locksmith can do this, not sure what it cost, used to be around 30 quid, Calling a locksmith out can be expensive!

Smashing the smallest window would probably be cheaper than messing with the lock or bending the door, which might break the window or feck the doors alignment anyway.

Do something quickish as if you leave the keys in it someone will be in it and gone.

nachos wrote:
    Had to get a guy out and that's exactly what he did. We were trying to hit the central locking button inside the car, but it did nothing when it was pressed as it seems to be disabled when the engine is off.

Thanks for the replies

did it cost much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I did this with my 00 yaris too. Just put a coathanger down the window and popped the lock. Surprisingly easy in a scary sort of way. No need for locksmiths etc. Just a bit of fiddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Smashing the smallest window may not necessarily be the cheapest. A friend of mine had to smash a window and chose the small triagular one behind the sliding back window. It turned out to be more expensive than if he broke one of the winding ones.

GB15 wrote:
    Smashing the smallest window may not necessarily be the cheapest. A friend of mine had to smash a window and chose the small triagular one behind the sliding back window. It turned out to be more expensive than if he broke one of the winding ones.

it was actually the small triangler one I smashed myself and was told it was the cheapest to get fixed. this prob has something to do with models of cars or something :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement