Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M+D Coffee + Tea

Options
  • 18-08-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I saw this stall listed on here and took a walk over this morning, very impressed.

The guy running the stall knew his stuff and gave me some advice on the beans to buy and suggested mixes. I took a bag of Guatamalan and French Roast Columbian.

Drinking some Guatamalan right now and it's very nice - he has definitely got himself a repeat customer in me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭banaco73

I did the same last week and he gave me the same mix which I have now ran out. I will be making a trip today or tomorrow to re stock.

Great stall and he does know his stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, used them myself once, nice guy and good coffee.

I'll be calling into Howth Market tomorrow to pick up some beans. I'll post thier contact details up for anyone who can't nomally make a trip into them in town (me included). They said they'd post the beans out to punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Good call Mr M, I never did find their phone number last time so
    if you can add it to the stickies it'll save me the hassle of driving
    into town to pick up supplies.

I must confess that M+D and Ristretto are my two main suppliers
    at the moment. I tried coffeebeans.ie recently and I thought they
    were overpriced for what I received - the Cofesa Espresso was a good
    and interesting blend but I found the batch of Cubita received from
    them poor. Maybe it was the particular batch I got. When one adds
    in the price for delivery from coffeebeans.ie they are mosy certainly
    not a cheap option, and I normally don't even consider price if I'm happy
    with the coffee. Ristretto have increased their postage to ROI but as I'm
    sitting here drinking and enjoying their espresso blend I don't mind - it
    makes a pretty fine cup!

I made the journey to the city today and picked up some more beans cuban and colombian. Hard place to park and get into if you are just going for you supply of beans.

If they will post out as Mr Magnolia said here is their e mail address

mandd.coffeeandtea@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I liked M&D the one time I used them, but since I got my own roaster and green beans I haven't looked back. 2kg of green beans starts at about €16. That might translate to 1.6kg once roasted but still, long term it going to be a lot cheaper, and always having access to freshly roasted beans is a perk.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Advertisement

The home roasting is something that I will do. Access to freshly roasted beans at a cheaper price than is available is too good to be true. Just won't be starting it at the minute though.

Thanks for the mail address banaco. I'll let ye know what I purchase later. I'll also see if I can get a contact number and post it up with the mail address :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

MrM - check out the Classic OPV mod thread - its something you probably should do. Fairly easy, and will make an improvement.

I had a read of the thread alright. Haven't had a chance to check out the links yet but you can be sure I will. Thanks matey.

Edit: One of the guys is sending me on a full list of thier coffee & teas. I'll post it and thier contact details in one of the stickies and here too when I get it.

As Banaco pointed out thier mail address is mandd.coffeeandtea@gmail.com

I purchased 250g of Guatamalan which I intend to blend with the 250g of a french roast Colombian I also bought. Took 250g of Cuban Dark Roast as I enjoyed it so much the last time too.

I also purchased some Green Tea with Lemon Myrtle and Ginger but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭DecTenToo

Just joined the forum and as I'm more of a tea drinker it's always been difficult to get decent supplies in general. I've been using Imperial Tea and Coffee (Lincoln, UK) for ages but I have to recommed the M&D crowd as they do have some decent stuff.

Getting hold of a decent tea pot is now next on the list as the old one is on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Just have to add that contrary to most opinions here I'm really not impressed with M & D at all. They might know their stuff but they're quite happy to mislead their customers when it suits them.

My partner bought a kilo of 'freshly roasted' beans last week which turned out to be anything but. On close inspection the French-roast Columbian beans were far too oily and dark in colour to be fresh, which was borne out by the stale flavour and poor crema.

The guy was happy to use sleight of tongue to let her believe they were roasted the day before, when in fact they were the previous week's batch. This was confirmed when he was confronted. Maybe they're just used to the average Dublin coffee-buyer not knowing the difference, but I find this sort of thing totally unacceptable. On top of that I must say that I find him quite sarcastic and very hard to deal with.

Just wanted to put my 2c in since they have received glowing praise on this thread and they are about the only place in Dublin that purports to sell fresh-roasted beans now that Bewleys have got rid of their roaster from the Grafton St. branch. So buyer beware: you can get good fresh coffee from M & D, but it isn't guaranteed. Make sure you know what you're getting.

• Advertisement

I have got 3 batches of coffee and like that 2 of the 3 batches were not good. I have since tried http://www.ristrettocoffee.com for some espresso blend and it was by far the best that i have purchased.

I and still learning but have just ordered more espresso blend tonight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

rockbeer wrote:
    Just have to add that contrary to most opinions here I'm really not impressed with M & D at all. They might know their stuff but they're quite happy to mislead their customers when it suits them.

My partner bought a kilo of 'freshly roasted' beans last week which turned out to be anything but. On close inspection the French-roast Columbian beans were far too oily and dark in colour to be fresh, which was borne out by the stale flavour and poor crema.

The guy was happy to use sleight of tongue to let her believe they were roasted the day before, when in fact they were the previous week's batch. This was confirmed when he was confronted. Maybe they're just used to the average Dublin coffee-buyer not knowing the difference, but I find this sort of thing totally unacceptable. On top of that I must say that I find him quite sarcastic and very hard to deal with.

Just wanted to put my 2c in since they have received glowing praise on this thread and they are about the only place in Dublin that purports to sell fresh-roasted beans now that Bewleys have got rid of their roaster from the Grafton St. branch. So buyer beware: you can get good fresh coffee from M & D, but it isn't guaranteed. Make sure you know what you're getting.
    I have to agree 100% with the above.... the range and quality of the tea seems very good but there's little choice or quality in the coffee. The guy seems to spend a lot of time slagging off the competition too which, imho, implies little confidence in his own products.
    Sad to hear Bewleys have gotten rid of their roaster.... that's a bit mad isn't it?

Advertisement