Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[REQ] divx player

• 18-08-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

in shops only, just need something that will play avi files from dvd/cd-r's .
    Need not be off great quality.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Dunnes had players by Plustron before that played MP4 and divx/xvid files for about 39 euro and i am fairly sure that if you go back along the threads there is a recent enough thread about a dvd recorder by plustron with USB that also plays these files ,actually this is the thread here hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yup.
    Bought one of those Plustron 988's From Dunnes last week, and it has played everything I've thrown at it so far, even though it doesn't mention half the filetypes on the box or unit.
    Can't remember the price, but twas definitely on the narrow side of €40.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

damn thought it was 90,
    40 would do the job, wonder if blanch have it

The one up around €90 is a dvd recorder.
    The stand alone player is <€40.

BTW, the remote takes 2xAAA batteries (not included), so make sure you have 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JohnGonne1

I actually have a divx player - Amstrad that I'm selling (w/remote) - bought last year in Dunnes - excellent condition - less than €30. pm if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Soarer wrote:
    Yup.
    Bought one of those Plustron 988's From Dunnes last week, and it has played everything I've thrown at it so far, even though it doesn't mention half the filetypes on the box or unit.
    Can't remember the price, but twas definitely on the narrow side of €40.:D

Tis a piffling 35:95 yoyos. How could you go wrong with that?

Shur there you go.
    Less than 4 rounds of drinks for yourself and herself. Frickin' bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

bought one myself today and it's brilliant, I can watch my divx files on my tv instead of squinting at the computer monitor :) best €36 I've spent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

was it the plustron or what ever its called in dunnes?
    is there a hack for multi region too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

was in dunnes looking at the plustron dvd988 today. It doesn't say anything 'bout it playing divx anywhere on the box? Nowhere. Very odd. Looks just like any other cheapo crapo dvd player. Surely with a feature like divx support, it would at least have the logo or a mention of it on the box! It is a big selling point at that price in fairness.
    So.... can someone confirm that it actully does play divx? The dvd player at 36 not the dvd recorder at 90.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Divx is a registered trademark/copyright afaik and to put it on the packaging they would have to be certified by the copyright holder. I understand that the licensing and certification costs a good few quid so you'll only see DivX mentioned on pricier players like Kiss.

I don't know why they wouldn't mention Xvid, MP4 or AVI though. Maybe MP4 support is now a standard feature on the codec chip (whatever the proper term for it is) that goes into bargain basement players these days and the manufacturers don't understand what it means from a marketing POV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Has this got any USB interfaces on it?

milltown wrote:

I don't know why they wouldn't mention Xvid, MP4 or AVI though.

Take your point on the logo.. They do have mention of Kodak JPEG support (and possibly the logo) though which makes it all the more strange that they couldn't write 3 more letters like.. avi!

Seems suspect.

In an interest not to get (my) wires crossed, could someone please confirm that the €35 player in Dunnes can play divx/xvid/avi/mp4?
    Cheers again!

PS: afaik the 35 euro player has no USB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

quintron wrote:
    In an interest not to get (my) wires crossed, could someone please confirm that the €35 player in Dunnes can play divx/xvid/avi/mp4?

I have been watching Xvid files all morning on the Plustron 988 player, this is the player that costs €36 and does not state MP4/Xvid etc on the box.
    Also it does NOT have a USB port

I hope that clears up any confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Does this dunnes player play .mkv files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

JPA wrote:
    Does this dunnes player play .mkv files?

Nope. I haven't found any dvd players that play that yet.

BTW: DivX and .Mkv are different beasts all together.

I have been watching Xvid files all morning on the Plustron 988 player, this is the player that costs €36 and does not state MP4/Xvid etc on the box.
    Also it does NOT have a USB port

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Dabbler, I thank you.

*exits stage left to purchase Plustron 988 player*

Just checked there, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't play wmv's.:(

Not the end of the world by any means, but just thought people should know.;)

wmv=proprietary format so not usually found unless there is a collaboration or agreed partnership with microsoft etc.

got one for my gf, great value for 35, fairly small, looks slick too. Cant do much with it without 2x AAA batteries though..which i forgot, doh

DSC00421.JPG
    DSC00422.JPG
    DSC00419.JPG

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote:
    Cant do much with it without 2x AAA batteries though..which i forgot, dohQUOTE]

You were warned! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

On the receipt it says "total amount of irish purchases...." Not a hope of that being made or produced in ireland!!

Soarer wrote:
    Placebo wrote:
    Cant do much with it without 2x AAA batteries though..which i forgot, doh

You were warned! ;)

i know :( i was like some guy even posted it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

On the receipt it says "total amount of irish purchases...." Not a hope of that being made or produced in ireland!!

Someone mentioned here ,they were made in northern ireland:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nanniemoon

someone pls helppppppp!!! im going crazy!:eek: I have a plustron 988 dvd player and i need to know if it will play region 1 dvd's? can anyone help?!?!?:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

In before lock/move :cool:

Advertisement