Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV on wall over fireplace?

• 18-08-2007 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone has opinions on hooking up a TV (lcd/plasma) over a fireplace (wood stove)

personally, i thought it would be a bad idea (due heat) but herself
    would like it to be done

any opinions

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

the heat is one factor, and the heat from a wood burning stove can be intense, but also the angle at which you're viewing the screen is far from ideal. Pin a sheet of newspaper (broadsheet) over the fireplace and stare at it for just 15 minutes... neck sore? Imagine watching a 90 plus minute movie at that angle. Unless everyone is sitting in a recliner whereby you're essentially looking up with plenty of neck support it's not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

problem answered, thanks slaphead, that'll keep her busy for a few minutes:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I've got my plasma hanging over the fireplace and it's working out great. No heat issue (it's a new house) or neck strain. One thing you have to think about though are the cables. They need to be longer and hidden. A friend of mine came over and cut a hole through the brick at an angle. It looks really good and I'm very pleased. I got the longer cables on e-Bay and saved a hell of a lot of money. The one advantage I get from hanging it over the fireplace, is that now there is much more free space in our sitting room. It all depends on your room though.

What size is the tele?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Sorry for this feat of thread necromancy, but I'm considering something similar to the OP, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I don't think the angle is a problem, it's just about a half a foot above eye level, but does anyone know if the heat is a serious issue? Will it invalidate the warranty (they usually have a stuff like store in a dry place at room temp etc.), and will the fact that there is a smallish shelf between the TV and the stove make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Still a thermometer onto wall or shelf where you want to put tv. Check this against operating temperature range of the tv - should be available on the net. You have your answer then.

This Philips for example is 35 degree C max.

42PFL9900D/10

• Advertisement
Advertisement