Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing your bios?

Options
  • 18-08-2007 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Ok I said I would do this last night that it couldn't hurt! I went onto the Asus website downloaded the windows updater so I could do it through windows got the bios file loaded it up and it looked like it went ok!

Then it told me to restart which I did. It wouldn't boot after the initial restart so I did it myself holding in the on button for 5 seconds to turn it off and back on, This time it booted but basically screamed at me with one high pitch beep! This was at 4am :) So im no.2ing in my pants did I just wreck my computer, restarted it same thing happened so I said I would take out the cmos battery and put it back in.. This worked and now everything is fine again the bios have been updated aswell!

Im just curious is this normal or did I do anything wrong(for future reference)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dazftw wrote:
    Ok I said I would do this last night that it couldn't hurt! I went onto the Asus website downloaded the windows updater so I could do it through windows got the bios file loaded it up and it looked like it went ok!

Then it told me to restart which I did. It wouldn't boot after the initial restart so I did it myself holding in the on button for 5 seconds to turn it off and back on, This time it booted but basically screamed at me with one high pitch beep! This was at 4am :) So im no.2ing in my pants did I just wreck my computer, restarted it same thing happened so I said I would take out the cmos battery and put it back in.. This worked and now everything is fine again the bios have been updated aswell!

Im just curious is this normal or did I do anything wrong(for future reference)

The Asus updater normally has an option to clear the settings when it flashes which is advisable to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

If you look in the Asus motherboard manual it will tell you how to update the bios thorough a USB memory stick. (Alt-F2 on starting machine)

Otherwise if it is claiming a bad checksum, go into the bios, reset all your old settings save and exit and all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

yea I tried the usb stick way before with no joy! I got that bad checksum thing just after I put back in the battery and put everything back to default yea and every is ok now!

I just was curious incase I might have borked something :rolleyes:

Cheers lads

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement