Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 Mobile Broadband Questions

Options
  • 18-08-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Finally after years of dial-up I bought a mobile pack today! First thing is it's very slow? 56k speed in Inchicore. I had nearly 40 on dial up :( . I tried to listen to a music clip before trying to download and it's not good. It breaks up. How can I make it faster so I can download?

Secondly, can anyone else in the area pick up on my connection and use it? There's no security key with it apart from the pin code. Is this enough?

Thirdly, Do I have to use the 02 browser or can I just use my own desktop settings? What about my antivirus and other applications I have? I use Firefox. By using the 02 browser will this leave me open to attack or will it automatically pick up on my own settings? Apologies for the stupid questions but I know you're all a mine of information!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Finally after years of dial-up I bought a mobile pack today! First thing is it's very slow? 56k speed in Inchicore. I had nearly 40 on dial up :( . I tried to listen to a music clip before trying to download and it's not good. It breaks up. How can I make it faster so I can download?
    Do you have a GPRS or a HSDPA connection? If it's GPRS then your nearest mast hasn't been upgraded to 3G yet and you won't get any better than about 50k. If it's HSDPA and you're only getting 50k then there must be a lot of people using it off the same mast or you're far away and have a very poor signal. Could also be the weather conditions as that also effects speed.

Did you check your speed on www.irishisptest.com?
    Secondly, can anyone else in the area pick up on my connection and use it? There's no security key with it apart from the pin code. Is this enough?
    Your modem is a receiver and not a transmitter so it's fine.
    Thirdly, Do I have to use the 02 browser or can I just use my own desktop settings? What about my antivirus and other applications I have? I use Firefox. By using the 02 browser will this leave me open to attack or will it automatically pick up on my own settings?
    Don't know about that. When I click the browser button on the connection panel it launches Firefox for me and it's the same as if I just load Firefox from the normal links. Is Firefox set as your default browser? Virus scanner and everything else should be fine.
    Apologies for the stupid questions but I know you're all a mine of information!!
    "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people" - Mr. Garrison.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks!

Do you have a GPRS or a HSDPA connection? If it's GPRS then your nearest mast hasn't been upgraded to 3G yet and you won't get any better than about 50k

The connection is set to 3G Preferred. Should I set it to GPRS instead?

Just did a test and my speed is 28.6 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Try setting for 3g only , this can force a 3g connection if you signal is on the edge of service...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

No time to lose - call them and let them sort it out.
    If they can't send it back straight-off.

• Advertisement

I'm in Santry now and the speed is 1.25mbps! How does this compare?

1.25M is probably not too bad, it's 3.6M max so you'd only get that if you were the only one on it.

When you're connected there should be details about the connection displayed on the right hand side of the O2 control panel, it will tell you whether it's HSDPA, UMTS or GPRS. I'd imagine it currently says HSDPA and when you're at home it says GPRS if you only get 20-50k.

Yes, it's GPRS at home. I have to set it to 3G preferred as the 3G only setting won't give me any network. Bit miffed I have to say. Could have had the same speed on dial up. Can anything be done to make the connection faster?

No, until they upgrade the mast nearest to you, you'll be stuck on GPRS and 50k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

EDGE is coming . 200k in 2g areas !

• Advertisement

Rang O2 and was told that the mast down the road from me is working fine :(
    I'll try using the laptop upstairs to see if the signal improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Not being funny but if it's a laptop you are using try go outside(front &/or back) to see if it improves. Indoor penetration with 3G is not as good as the 2G.
    Roughly where are you?
    (BTW: not suggesting you use it outdoors when you want to use it!! Just a test to see if it's an indoor coverage problem)

I'm in the Inchicore Works area just down the road from the mast in Tyrconnell Road. Our houses are over 150 years old and sturdily built so maybe that has something to do with it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I'm in the Inchicore Works area just down the road from the mast in Tyrconnell Road. Our houses are over 150 years old and sturdily built so maybe that has something to do with it!

Yeah the blackstone in those houses is crap for signal! try it near a window

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You are not that far away really! They must be made of stern stuff indeed! Actually Porta cabins can be a nightmare to cover as well. Next time you are online try go to a window on the east side of your house. I assume it's near the Railway works you're talking about, is it?

Yes, I'm beside the railway. Just did a laptop tour of the house -
    Sitting Room -116/59.6
    Back Room - 115/59.3
    Front Bedroom - 193/58.6
    Back Bedroom - 111/58.9

Just got the blue light so probably not too much traffic at this time, must all be watching Emmerdale!

Is that all the rooms in the whole house :eek:

Me light's gone green again :( Probably the ad break!

Another problem I've just discovered is I can't send e-mails! I get this message 550 relay not permitted What's this about? Never had a problem until I plugged in the broadband??

Is that all the rooms in the whole house :eek:

?? I didn't check the 3rd bedroom or the 2 bathrooms or the kitchen or hall :confused:

you will have to

1. send outgoing mail through the o2 smtp ( mail) server ( not eircoms one for example)

or

2. smtp authenticate by putting the username and password into the outbound mail settings just like the inbound mail settings

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob, on my 'internet e-mail settings' my outgoing mail server is set to: mail.esatclear.ie. What do I put in there instead? No problem in receiving mail.

thats the problem one, try smtp.o2.ie or smtp.o2online.ie instead

separate issue. O2 have a clear policy on faulty modems unlike the verminous 3 policies. The 7 day policy below is not a 7 day trial policy. If you want a 7 day trial the rules below do not cover it. Ask in the shop.

From Here
    Returns Policy
    Returns

In the event that you do experience a difficulty with your O2 device, we will be happy to help. The returns procedure for your device depends on how long it is since you bought it and where you originally bought your device.

Less than 7 days
    If you are unhappy with the device you purchased and provided you haven’t used it, you can return it to O2 for a full refund. This should be done within 7 working days of receipt of the device. If you bought your device online, you must return your device to our Freepost address below. This is in accordance with the Distance Sales Regulations. If you bought your device in an O2 Retail Store, then you can return your device for refund in any O2 Retail Store. If you buy a phone as a Speak easy Christmas gift, we will allow the item to be returned for a refund up until the 5th of January, provided it hasn't been used.

Less than 30 days
    If your device becomes faulty within the first 30 days of purchase, then you are entitled to a fully boxed replacement device or a refund - whichever you prefer. If you bought your device online, then to avail of either a refund or a new replacement device, you must send your device back to us by Freepost - address below. Unfortunately we cannot facilitate a replacement or refund within 30 days within an O2 Retail Store for Online purchases. If you bought your device in an O2 Retail Store, then you can return it to an O2 Retail Store. If you receive a phone as a Speak easy Christmas gift, we will provide you with a refund within 30 days of the 25th of December, if the phone has become faulty.

More than 30 days
    If your device becomes faulty after 30 days and it is within the warranty period applicable to the device, you can return it to us by Freepost or you can go into your nearest O2 Store. Provided the fault is not excluded under the terms of the warranty, we will give you an immediate replacement. No need to wait for a repair, we'll just give you a replacement device straight away. You will need to remember your receipt, which you will have received with your device. All customers can avail of the SOS service in O2 Stores once they have had their device for more than 30 days and they are in possession of their receipt.

As a consumer, your statutory rights are unaffected.

Pretty damn clear . Well done O2 .

thats the problem one, try smtp.o2.ie or smtp.o2online.ie instead

No, neither of these worked. Will ring them tomorrow to see what the setting is. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Me light's gone green again :( Probably the ad break!

Another problem I've just discovered is I can't send e-mails! I get this message 550 relay not permitted What's this about? Never had a problem until I plugged in the broadband??

When you change ISP, you will also have to change the SMTP server (outgoing server) setting in your mailprogram.

Talk to O2, to get the setting of them.

/Marlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Is anybody torrenting on this, is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

email on 02 working for me, using smtp.o2.ie

Some mail servers allow login from "other networks" if you fetch email 1st and/or use user/pass login on the smtp. Some ISP block all outgoing email on their network, you have to use their SMTP, some ISPs block all non-MX email SMTP that is not on their own network.

Torrents is possible but not sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭emigre

jor el wrote:

Your modem is a receiver and not a transmitter so it's fine.

jor el, with respect, you shouldn't be answering questions if you are completely clueless.

the modem transmits and receives. how else do you think you upload information, like requesting a web page or sending an email or requesting to read an email ?

wireless networks are inherently insecure, anyone with a packet sniffer can intercept your traffic unless it is encrypted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭emigre

watty wrote:
    email on 02 working for me, using smtp.o2.ie

Some mail servers allow login from "other networks" if you fetch email 1st and/or use user/pass login on the smtp. Some ISP block all outgoing email on their network, you have to use their SMTP, some ISPs block all non-MX email SMTP that is not on their own network.

Torrents is possible but not sensible.
    watty, can i ask how long you've been using smtp with o2 successfully. i'm on the verge of giving up with 3 because they refuse to fix their smtp problems. o2 is twice the cost but i can't do without a reliable email service.

• Advertisement

emigre wrote:
    jor el, with respect, you shouldn't be answering questions if you are completely clueless.

the modem transmits and receives. how else do you think you upload information, like requesting a web page or sending an email or requesting to read an email ?

wireless networks are inherently insecure, anyone with a packet sniffer can intercept your traffic unless it is encrypted.
    :rolleyes: You know what I meant. No one else can can connect to the modem like you could with an unsecured wireless router which is what the OP was wondering about.

Advertisement