Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a dog be nuetered when in heat?

Options
  • 18-08-2007 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Not knowing the exact age of my collie has meant she is now in heat and I am wondering is it not possible to get her spayed now until she is no longer in heat. We never had female dogs at home before so we are a bit perplexed.

Today during her walk she met a suitor who simply wanted to marry her there and then and she was all for the idea - the slut. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Dogs can be spayed during heat, but it does increase the risk of complications. Not all vets may do it and it may cost more than a normal spay in some vets. I recommend waiting the full 3 weeks until she's out of heat. Best to book an appt for then so she won't have to go through another heat cycle. Just be sure to keep her away from male dogs if you don't want pups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Speak to your vet - I have had a cat spayed once in heat & she was FAB! The best spay I have ever had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

OK thanks - I will wait till she is not in heat again - how do you know when she has passed her heat period? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I just had to double check with my mate on this one (she's a breeder). The bleeding from your dog will stop, and a few days later the vulva swelling should go down. She said to wait a few days after this to get her spayed, because sometimes their period can come back a bit. Once all the bleeding and swelling is gone though she should be safe to be spayed. So ignore my orginal advice of booking now for a place in 3 weeks time. Wait to see that bleeding and swelling is gone, then book.

My mate uses a bitch spray to cover the smell females produce. It helps against unwanted attention. You can order from Castle Lack Canine in Cork - www.castlelack.ie (direct link to bitch spray http://castlelack.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=633451&osCsid=fac3557f7d8ab5310f8c0024f0fe30cb).

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dontdoit

Yes comongethappy is on the money! As said it is possible but generally contraindicated due to increased risk of complications, bleeding etc. Best to wait. Good luck wit her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Thanks for that much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Most pet stores have bitch spray's in stock not sure how effective - esri was spayed before she came on heat. even if she does get caught - vets will spay her. Best of luck. my dad used to carry a walking stick - any dog that approached was warned away by striking the ground - never worked well though - lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

most vets will not spay her during heat as there are too many complications during the surgery like uncontrollable bleeding. It is best to wait 6 weeks for her hormone levels to get back to normal

Advertisement