Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton vs Liverpool Net Spending

• 18-08-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

Liverpool In:

Torres: 21m
    Voronin: free
    Benayoun: 5m
    Lucan: 5.5m
    Babel: 11m
    Youngsters: 4m

Total: 46.5m

Out:

Gonzalez: 3m
    Bellamy: 8m
    Cisse: 8m
    Pongolle: 2.5m
    Garcia: 3m
    Total recouped: 24.5

Total Spend: 22 million

Everton In

Yakubu: 11m
    Fernandes: 9m
    Jagielka: 4m
    Baines: 5m

Total: 29 million

Out:

Beattie: 4m
    Total recouped: 4m

Net Spend: 25m

Everton Net: 25million Liverpool Net: 22million

Just saw something like this on another site and thought it very interesting considering the amount being talked about Liverpool spending massive money this year.

This kind of puts it into perspective.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

How much did the players Liverpool sold cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the only one Pool made a profit from was gonzalez right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bellamy was a modest profit I think, 6 in 8 out.

I think a better comparison right now would be Wigan v Sunderland spend! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

whilst I see the point the OP is making, I think a 5 year rolling net spend would be more instructive - see Mourinho making a fuss about his spend this summer, bless his cotton socks.

Over 5 years you'd suspect that Liverpools spend has been greater than Evertons. If only cos they flogged Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why not start at about 1880?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

also Everton have only bought half of Fernandez, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Gonzalez was sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, look at it this way, Babel or Yakubu for 11m? I know which player any sane person would pick. Yakubu is the type of player Liverpool have been crying out for, and he's going to their city rivals for a snip.

Also, as mentioned before, how much did Liverpool spend on the players they sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I understand that over the years Liverpool have spent more than Everton, this is simply because they have been more successful and therefore have more money to spend though!

My point was simply, with all the noises being made about Liverpools spending THIS SUMMER (eg. Mourinho saying we have to win the title cause of the money spent), when viewed in comparrison with a host of other clubs, the net spending is not that high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

astrofool wrote:
    Well, look at it this way, Babel or Yakubu for 11m? I know which player any sane person would pick. Yakubu is the type of player Liverpool have been crying out for, and he's going to their city rivals for a snip.

Also, as mentioned before, how much did Liverpool spend on the players they sold?

original cost
    Gonzalez: 3m
    2m
    Bellamy: 8m
    6m
    Cisse: 8m
    14m
    Pongolle: 2.5m
    2m (ish- was potentially up to 3.5 but i very much doubt many of the rising clauses were met)
    Garcia: 3m
    6m

Of those, Garcia was really the only success, though pongolle, gonzalez and bellamy cancer themselves out by making a profit/evening out.

garcia paid back his 3mill loss many many times over with his big game performances. massively instrumental in istanbul 2005 and all the money that came with it.

And id take Torres every single time over Yakubu (dont get me wrong, i like yak). if Boro can manage to sign Alfonso Alves to replace him they'll be laughin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

My point was simply, with all the noises being made about Liverpools spending THIS SUMMER (eg. Mourinho saying we have to win the title cause of the money spent), when viewed in comparrison with a host of other clubs, the net spending is not that high.
    Obviously though, those same people incl. Mourinho are not talking about net spend but rather total transfer spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Of those players sold by pool, you should also factor their wages into the cost equation. I'd imagine that the wages would cost in the region of millions, thus further adding to the loss.

astrofool wrote:

I'd take Babel.

Yakubu, imo, is EXACTLY the type of player we've been signing over the last few years (diouf,bellamy,cisse etc etc) he is a very good player, but not good enough for a top team (real, barca, utd, chelsea, milan, liverpool etc).

Babel on the other hand has the potential to be among the best players in the world. Yakubu would have just been another stop gap player imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

astrofool wrote:

:confused: People actually rate Yakubu? Babel is going to be world class while Yakubu is, although a goal scorer, very lazy and not a player for a top team. He doesn't contribute enough overall to warrant a place in a top team where goals can come from all over without relying on 2 or 3 players to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i didn't know Yakubu and Fernandes had actually signed for the blues ?
    hopefully they do ,

puts what in perspective ?

Possibly the best bit of business we did was off loading that waste of space Beattie .

think they are both due to sign monday and tues.

puts in perspective, that most forms of media and a lot of oppositiom fans are saying we have to win the league this year because of the amount of money we've spent

agree, beattie was muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I understand that over the years Liverpool have spent more than Everton, this is simply because they have been more successful and therefore have more money to spend though!

But are Liverpool still in massive debt? or has that been sorted?

kdjac

my understanding of that is that it was cleared with the yanks coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Probably went instantly back into debt after the signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i hope we sign Yakubu and Fernandes , to progress we need them -- but i'd hate to see our bank balance , we were in serious debt a few years ago , and Bill kenwright hasn't a rasher !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

and we're (everton) still in debt, although it was all bundled into a mortgage type of loan based on future sales of season tickets.

30 million loan. Total to be repayed. 68 million.... 2.8 million per season repayments.

My guess is that the money from these summer signings is coming from robert earl (planet hollywood fame)... or the bank is lending us more based on his addition to the board.

Fernandes and Yakubu have not been signed yet. hopefully they are. until i see them on the back page with a jersey and scarf i wont count them as in the squad yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Everton In

Yakubu: 11m
    Fernandes: 9m
    Jagielka: 4m
    Baines: 5m

Total: 29 million

Out:

Beattie: 4m
    Total recouped: 4m

Net Spend: 25m

Everton Net: 25million Liverpool Net: 22million

Just saw something like this on another site and thought it very interesting considering the amount being talked about Liverpool spending massive money this year.

This kind of puts it into perspective.

Listen when you decide to have one of these comparison threads please try and make it definitive.

Everton's out goings on player transfers this season have not just solely recouped on JBs transfers fee. They have transfered out other players.

Yakubu and Fernandes have not signed yet.

As Everton and Wigan are both privately owned Baines fee was undisclosed. 5m GBP was most certaintly not exchanged between parties.

You really should resolve to stop posting partial irrelevant material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

it's not Evertons fault they had to get rid of less players than liverpool

Why compare them? so you can feel better about Liverpool's spending?

Sure do it again when liverpool have another clearout next summer and everton sell 1 or 2 players and convince yourself that liverpools net spending is better than everton....

Why compare them?
    Justification for not beating them last season and conceding 3 goals and not scoring any in the process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I actually think this time he is pointing out that Everton and Liverpool spent a similar amount this summer, so when Liverpool execs talk of spending with the big boys, they really aren't.

PHB wrote:
    I actually think this time he is pointing out that Everton and Liverpool spent a similar amount this summer, so when Liverpool execs talk of spending with the big boys, they really aren't.

He's making up figures, and leaving out transfers to be honest. Potential transfers, selective transfers, imaginary fees is all I see posted from an Everton point of view. Perhaps if the OP wants to furnish us with a definitive list then maybe we'll take him seriously.

Anyhow for the the likes of comparisons on transfer fees isn't it better to disclose the true cost of the transfer, namely the salary over the life of the contract. After all this is the bottom line to any club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I thought I read somewhere that Liverpool signed something like 12 players in the summer. That includes youth players or reserve players. Where are these fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

PHB wrote:

I actually feel what hes trying to say is if Liverpool go on to win the league then they are not doing it on the backing of a sugar daddy the way chelsea did when they bought like crazy and won the league.

Liverpool has a very big squad and obv had to get rid of players to bring so many in, in order to keep a happy squad.

Everton Has in comparison a ridiculously small squad and needed to add more incoming players than outgoing.

Im happy that we got rid of some deadwood like Beattie and Naysmith.
    but it makes brinking in Yakubu and Fernandes all the more important. hopefully it will happen.

Looks like Yakuba wont happen now.

Also checked the original posters transfer fees against BBC's website for 1 or 2 players and they were different
    selling prices and different buying prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ciaran76 wrote:
    Looks like Yakuba wont happen now.

Also checked the original posters transfer fees against BBC's website for 1 or 2 players and they were different
    selling prices and different buying prices.

wish i had such an exciting life:rolleyes:

the youth players Liverpool signed are in the list i put up originally.

when i posted it looked like Fernandes and Yakubu were about to sign, still thing they will sign.

as for errors with the figures, a number of liverpools were undisclosed, but the figures i posted are the most common or reliable ones i've found. if people have issues with them, post what you think they should be instead of just slating my OP.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hey, can you post the link for the site you got that list of comparative spending from?

was from a few sites

SofaKing wrote:
    Hey, can you post the link for the site you got that list of comparative spending from?

usually if you google the players name, new club, "sign" and BBC or Skysports you'll find the artical from the time giving their estimate. I find BBC often seems to be the most accurate

just googled torres and bbc out of curiousity and they list him at 20m whereas i have him at 21m.

not wanting to argue about exact figures, cause no one knows for sure the exact details, BUT my point remains the same, IF everton sign those two lads, it makes very interesting reading when people are talking up Liverpools MASSIVE summer spending spree

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote:
    wish i had such an exciting life:rolleyes:

Keep on wishing then !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

just googled torres and bbc out of curiousity and they list him at 20m whereas i have him at 21m.

not wanting to argue about exact figures, cause no one knows for sure the exact details, BUT my point remains the same, IF everton sign those two lads, it makes very interesting reading when people are talking up Liverpools MASSIVE summer spending spree
    surely you have to take the spending in context though, Liverpools spending comes on top of an already expensively assembled squad - Liverpool have always been among the top spenders. It is a fact of football that if a team wants to break the top four, or even come close to it, they need to spend. Evertons summer spending (if they sign Yakubu which is by no means certain at this point) is high, but the rest of their squad is relitively cheap, and has been built up over time.

i dont think he's saying we're on an equal footing by any stretch. I think he's just pointing out that it sheds a slightly new light on all the people (not necessarily here, just paper talk, pundits, Mourinho etc) saying we've spent huge and anything bar the premiership is a waste of money, whereas in actual fact we haven't exactly been spending far and away above anyone else or anything. I think the comparison with Everton is just showing that just because a decent amount of money (though not really an incredible amount) is spent doesn't automatically mean we HAVE to be winning the league.

Well I just did a quick compliation, Everton's net spend in the last four years (since aruond when Benetiz joined) is 11 million. That's before the Yakubu and Fernades transfers.

Here it is, albeit unformated for the raw data:
    2007	Leighton Baines	£6,000,000		Scott Phelan	£0		
    	Phil Jagielka	£4,000,000		James Beattie	£4,000,000		
    		£10,000,000			£4,000,000		[b]NET:[/b] £6,000,000

2006	Tim Howard	£3,000,000		Jay Harris	£0		
    						Le Tie	£0		
    						Kevin Kilbane	£2,000,000		
    						David Weir	£0		
    						Simon Davis			
    						Richard Wright	£0		
    						Gary Naysmith	£1,000,000		
    						Alan Stubbs	£0		
    		£3,000,000			£3,000,000		[b]NET:[/b]£0

2005	Per Kroldrup	£5,000,000		Steve Watson	£0		
    	Mikel Arteta	£2,000,000		Eddy Bosnar	£0		
    	Phil Neville	£3,500,000		Marcus Bent	2500000		
    	Nuno Valente	£1,500,000		Per Kroldrup			
    	Andy Van der Meyde			Laurence Wilson	£0		
    	Alan Stubbs	£0					
    	Andy Johnson	£8,600,000					
    	Joleon Lescott	£5,000,000					
    		£25,600,000			£2,500,000		[b]NET:[/b]£23,100,000

2004	Tim Cahill	£150,000		David Unsworth	£0		
    	James Beattie	£6,000,000		Tomasz Radzinski	£1,750,000		
    	Guillaume Plessis	£0		Wayne Rooney	£25,000,000		
    	John Ruddy	£250,000		Thomas Gravesen	£245,000		
    	Simon Davis	£3,500,000		Nick Chardwick	£250,000		
    		£9,900,000			£27,245,000		[b]NET:[/b]-£17,345,000

Kevin Kilbane was sold in 2006 to Wigan, you have him in the bought column. Although, you have debited his fee correctly.

Also, i can't work out what is going on in 2005....

• Advertisement

Apologies, all fixed. Added an extra 0 where none was meant to be, kinda skewed the data :)
    Net Spend is 11.8 million since where Benetiz and Mourinho took over. Stands in stark contrast to Liverpools 78 million

PHB wrote:
    Apologies, all fixed. Added an extra 0 where none was meant to be, kinda skewed the data :)
    Net Spend is 11.8 million since where Benetiz and Mourinho took over. Stands in stark contrast to Liverpools 78 million

pretty sure this is in the wrong thread though. This is comparing their spending this year

Ah yes, cause a squad is bought in a year. Sure last summer United's net spend was below 0.

When people talk about expectations from spending, I think that since Benetiz has spent a roughly similar amount to Fergie in his time there, you'd expect them to be a little closer in the league. When other people talk about expectations, they don't just mean this summer.

PHB wrote:
    Ah yes, cause a squad is bought in a year. Sure last summer United's net spend was below 0.

When people talk about expectations from spending, I think that since Benetiz has spent a roughly similar amount to Fergie in his time there, you'd expect them to be a little closer in the league. When other people talk about expectations, they don't just mean this summer.
    Chelsea did:D

But; The original post was talking about Liverpool now being mooted to be spending with the big boys because of this years spree, which they are, but with all the money now, they're on equal spending with a lot of the smaller teams too, such as Everton.

Only this year though, and I think that they have always been up there with the big boys in terms of spending. It's just that this year they spent very very big on one player, something none of the other clubs like Everton are doing.

If you want to talk about net spending for a year, it's just stupid, cause the players that are bringing down Liverpools net spend this year cost money before hand and are also part of the entire transfer spend over the last 4 years. Taking a snapshot this summer is just silly and has no real meaning. Just cause Liverpool happened to sell players this summer means nothing, Everton might decide to offload some players this Christmas.

PHB wrote:

actually read an article a while ago comparing Fergusons and Benitez spending since Rafa arrived. Utd have spent a bit more, but what was startling was that Utd have bought something like (now these are only example figures but you get the point)

Utd 11 players
    Liverpool 37 players

for less money than Utds 11 new signings.

Rafa was left with another managers players and had to totally rebuild a side, ferguson didnt.some buys worked, some didnt. Plus the biggest signing he has made until torres came along was forced upon him.

PHB wrote:
    If you want to talk about net spending for a year, it's just stupid, cause the players that are bringing down Liverpools net spend this year cost money before hand and are also part of the entire transfer spend over the last 4 years. Taking a snapshot this summer is just silly and has no real meaning. Just cause Liverpool happened to sell players this summer means nothing, Everton might decide to offload some players this Christmas.

i agree, its not a good way to look at spending, as what's at the club already counts for a huge amount.

Am just pointing out that that Is what this thread is about however. The spending Vs Everton for this year Only.

phb, if ya think the thread is stupid just dont post in it, as opposed to slating it....i just thought it was interesting

Utd 11 players
    Liverpool 37 players

Liverpool
    Javier Mascherano
    Alvaro Arbeloa
    Lucas
    Voronin
    Fernando Torres
    Yossi Benayoun
    Ryan Babel
    Krisztian Nemeth
    Andras Simon
    Sebastian Leto
    Fabio Aurelio
    Jermaine Pennant
    Dirk Kuyt
    Gabriel Palletta
    Craig Bellamy
    Daniel Agger
    Robbie Fowler
    Jan Kromkamp
    Peter Crouch
    Momo Sissoko
    Mark Gonzalez
    Antonio Barragan
    Jose Reina
    Boudewijn Zenden
    Scott Carson
    Fernando Morientes
    Mauricio Pellegrino
    Josemi
    Luis Garcia
    Xabi Alonso
    Antonio Nunez
    Djibril Cisse

33 players 11 of which have been sold on. 22 players

United
    Michael Carrick
    Thomas Kuszczak
    Patrice Evra
    Nemanja Vidic
    Ji-Sung Park
    Ben Foster
    Edwin van der Sar
    Wayne Rooney
    Florent N'Galula
    Liam Miller
    Gabriel Heinze
    Alan Smith
    Louis Saha
    Dong Fangzhuo
    Gerard Pique
    Guiseppi Rossi

16 players 3 of which has been sold on. 13 players.

Not as big a difference as you pointed out.
    Rafa was left with another managers players and had to totally rebuild a side

That is one of my major major criticisms of Benetiz, that his transfer policy meant that he would barely even use the players the Houllier left him with. His need to make the entire squad his is the reason why Liverpool have been so far behind in the league tables.

---

If I think the thread is irrelevant to me, I won't post in it. That's why I've never ever looked at the Celtic thread.
    If I think the thread is using data to make a point, if I don't think it makes that point, I'll point it out, and use other data to show how it absolutely does not make that point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement