Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember the DELL W2600 LCD TV ??

Options
  • 18-08-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm not sure which is the correct forum to put this in but I'll try here.
    I have a DELL 26" W2600 LCD TV which I bought in December 2005. There was a lot of chat on this forum at the time as it seemed to be a bargain.

Recently I have been having problems with the TV not switching on. It happened a few times and now it won't turn on at all.

I am just wondering has anyone else been having problems with this TV. I went to a local repair shop but was told that it's impossible to open up these TVs without damaging them and also that parts are impossible to get. (It seems DELL don't want others repairing there TVs).

Before I go back to DELL and ask for repair (I assume outside warranty) I wonder has anyone else had problems and suceeded in getting the TV repaired?

Thanks in advance
    Max

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ask dell for a quote to bring it back into warranty,
    then just get to fix it.

an out of warranty fix will be fairly expensive.
    you can check your waranty status on the dell website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved, not a Bargain Alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Mine did the same thing .. in the first year and I got it replaced foc for a 32 inch.. at the time they had no replacement 28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

My w2600 (bought in the same period) has started giving problems recently too, not the same issue though, the color has started to go funny on one side of the screen. So Im pretty interested to see how this stands as Im going to be going back to them soon enough about it myself.

As far as warrenty goes, its definitely 12 months, as I checked it out on the dell site myself the other day, but as others have said, surely its reasonable to assume a tv will work longer than 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

I had this telly, and lived with the problem for several months before the tele became unusable. I got mine replaced under warranty with a 32" - it was no quibble and no problem. This was standard practice, though Dell had to ship a unit from Holland.

To the nub of your question: this is a reconised flaw with that 26" Model. It's something to do with a logic chip on the power supply board that's supposed to...errr....do something nifty...ummm... not doing the nifty thing it's supposed to do. Stop me if I get too technical. :p

Contact Dell by phone and tell them about it - that's the first step. You'll need the asset code (or quick service tag or whatever Dell calls it now). Because of the model, Dell should just agree outright to replace. However, they might argue that the item is out of warranty - in that case you need to mention the Sale of Good and Supply of Services Act 1980 and EU Directive 1999/44/EC (replytohere2004 linked to the thread explaining why above). Tell them under both pieces of legislation this failure is covered. Tell them that you know the TV model in general had a flaw and it's not reasonable for such an expensive item to fail inside of two years, i.e it's not fit for the purpose intended. Also mention that Dell knew it had a flaw and that you want a repair or a replacement. I would advise you not to agree to any fee or charge they might claim you have to pay.

If they give you hassle, tell them that you'll take them to the Small Claims Court and/or contact the National Consumer Agency about their warranty practice (in general - NCA doesn't deal with individual cases, but will investigate matters of general concern).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Mine went tits up last night. Time for a friendly phone call.
    It's a recognised problem.
    Theres a replacement program in the us for out of warranty ones.
    Hope there is here too.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone in this thread for the helpful advice, particularly psicic. :)

I rang the nca before I went to dell, and they told me I was fully entitled to repair, replacement, or refund, at no cost to myself.

With this information I rang dell, the guy on the phone completely maintained the line that it was out of warrenty and dell would do nothing for me. He was a Scottish guy so I dunno whether he was in their Glasgow call center or Bray. I gave him the exact same details as I gave the nca, and told him what the national consumer agency had to told me, gave him their number and website. He said he'd check it out with his supervisor and call me back.

An hour later I had a callback from the same chap telling me dell had decided to replace the unit out of goodwill, and would only warrant the replacement for 90 days. I told him it was my legal entitlement, and the new warranty did not replace that.

As promised I got a replacement unit the next day! Was the least hassle transaction Ive ever had with them. But as I say, if I had not known ahead of time what my rights were, I would have accepted what they were telling me, and got nothing. Once again thanks guys! :D

Out of interest, if I get another fault with the replacement after it goes over 2 years since the initial transaction, do I have the right to another replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

skywalker wrote:

Out of interest, if I get another fault with the replacement after it goes over 2 years since the initial transaction, do I have the right to another replacement?

I would say that you wouldn't have another replacement, your contract was in 2005 with the original purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi.

Just giving an update on TV. (I started this thread.)

Just got off the phone with Dell rep. I was offered the same deal as Skywalker. 90 day warranty. New TV should be here in a few days.

We'll have to wait and see how long the new one lasts.

Thanks everyone for advice given.

Max

• Advertisement

skywalker wrote:
    Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone in this thread for the helpful advice, particularly psicic. :)

I rang the nca before I went to dell, and they told me I was fully entitled to repair, replacement, or refund, at no cost to myself.

With this information I rang dell, the guy on the phone completely maintained the line that it was out of warrenty and dell would do nothing for me. He was a Scottish guy so I dunno whether he was in their Glasgow call center or Bray. I gave him the exact same details as I gave the nca, and told him what the national consumer agency had to told me, gave him their number and website. He said he'd check it out with his supervisor and call me back.

An hour later I had a callback from the same chap telling me dell had decided to replace the unit out of goodwill, and would only warrant the replacement for 90 days. I told him it was my legal entitlement, and the new warranty did not replace that.

As promised I got a replacement unit the next day! Was the least hassle transaction Ive ever had with them. But as I say, if I had not known ahead of time what my rights were, I would have accepted what they were telling me, and got nothing. Once again thanks guys! :D

Same as you, onto a scottish guy; he checked with his manager and then said theyd replace it, he also said as a goodwill gesture which i suppose is their way of covering themselves.
    I told him its a known issue and he saw they stopped making/shipping them in April 06 but then started shipping them again, obviously because of this problem.

maximus02 wrote:

Hi.

Just giving an update on TV. (I started this thread.)

Just got off the phone with Dell rep. I was offered the same deal as Skywalker. 90 day warranty. New TV should be here in a few days.

We'll have to wait and see how long the new one lasts.

Thanks everyone for advice given.

Max

According to the US forums the latest revisions have fixed the problem.
    Revision 7 or newer. I told the guy on the phone to give me one of these.
    Also a 90 day warranty. Im happy enough.

skywalker wrote:

Just wanted to update this in case anyone has been having similar issues to me since this thread.

I recieved 3 faulty tv sets over the couple of weeks following my last post. When I say faulty the problem lay with the component port, which Id use frequently, was displaying everything with a decidedly green hue.

After I got my second faulty one I was sceptical that the problem was with the tv set and so tested everything else in case it was a faulty cable or something, but it turned out it was indeed the tv.

As I said I went through 3 of these replacements before saying I wouldnt be accepting another. They could either provide me with a different (better) model, or refund me. They chose the refund option, and I bought myself a nice new 32" samsung with the cash.

So for anyone who has received a replacement from them, you'd do well to check out the component port and see if its working as it should be, Id imagine they have a faulty batch in their refurbished stock.

Just to add also that the CS guys were competent and also very nice throughout, and the whole thing was processed as quick as possible considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I received my replacement TV a while ago and so far it seems fine.

I noticed it was not a 'new' replacement and the scottish guy, who rang me to see if I had received it, confirmed this.

I am just concerned that it may fail again after the 90 days warrenty.

By the way, so far UPS have not collected the original faulty TV. This happen with anyone else?

Max

If your concerned about it failing again then maybe check out the component ports, as I said they were all faulty on mine.

Whenever they dropped off a replacement with me, they would pick up the faulty one withing 24 hours. Using the box they'd dropped off the new one in to put the returning one in.

Even though they have already processed my refund though, they havent picked up the final replacement they sent me. Its over a week since they said they'd send me out a box to send it back in.

How long ago were they supposed to pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Best thing to do is to send them a letter via registered post. If there's no pick up within 6 months, and I'm open to correction on this, you can keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Having the same problem with mine now,wont turn on. It started to happen before christmas, had to unplug and wait a while before it would come back on..Now it won't come back on at all...Would I be entitled to something from Dell?

mad m wrote: »
    Having the same problem with mine now,wont turn on. It started to happen before christmas, had to unplug and wait a while before it would come back on..Now it won't come back on at all...Would I be entitled to something from Dell?

Yes, it's a known defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

They are replacing it for another lcd and will be delivered tomorrow,90 day warranty....

Same as I got, about as good as you're gonna get. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

Hello,
    This is a known problem with the W2600. If you do a message search you will find tons of others with the same issue.
    Mine just happened yesterday.
    I called Dell who are going to send a replacement.
    If you know anyone else with one of these get it replaced now even if it works as I think there is a two year limit from time of purchase to get it replaced (even if it is out of warranty).
    Also Dell are pretty good about holding their hands up when they have mad a mistake and will honor 'known defects'
    Regards EoC

• Advertisement

Dell replaced my W2600 within a day. Good Service from Dell.

EoC wrote: »
    Dell replaced my W2600 within a day. Good Service from Dell.
    Yep, they're fairly quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aces11

I tried contacting Dell on Monday last to requested a replacement tv & got bounced around their customer service depts, before being tranferred to Technical support (even though I asked for Customer support), I was on hold for 2 hours before I gave up. Does anyone have a contact number I can use to speak with someone who can arrange my replacement tv?
    Cheers:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

~Got mine replaced too with an A07 model after a bit of bantering only 14 months old at the time (Mar 07). They never collected the old one. Can the old one be repaired. Still on landing!

Sure, it can be refurbished like the others but how to get Dell to do it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

Hi Guys,

Looks like I'm the latest recriut to the "Faulty W2600 " Club,

My set has been giving trouble for the last couple of months, initially wouldn't turn on, but latest problem is sound - turn tv on sound is perfect for about 5 mins and then hisssssssssssssss, gets louder and louder.. No way of sorting??

After reading this thread, rang Dell today. Put me through to the tv service agent, helpful eventhough I didn't have my service tag to hand. Said that a direct replacement would probably be issued. Due a callback on Tues after UK bank holiday. Will keep ye posted..

Bought Tv Nov 2005 - for 550 euro, managed to dig out receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭murphman

Got my callback from Dell this morning, didn't open my mouth and they are replacing the Tv as a "Goodwill Gesture" because set was out of warranty.

Happy days, - None in stock at moment but they will ring again on Thurs with update.Expecting delivery in from Germany.

Fair dues to Dell for replacing their own faulty work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

has anyone had any problems recently? a set from 2005, would they exchange it?

Hello All,

The W2600 I got last year lasted 13months and now I've got the same issue again. This time Dell won't replace it. So I trade in a defective product and get a replacement defective product. They point blank refuse to replace so I'm going the Small Claims Court route. If goods are not of merchandisable quality then you are entiltled to claim. It's a long shot but I'll give it a go...

So beware of all you guys that got a replacement. It might only last a couple of months and then my friends you are shagged.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

*goes of whistling about a 2 year warranty as per EU regulation for eletronical goods*

Advertisement