Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some good solid riffs to learn.

Options
  • 18-08-2007 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭

Lately I've been finding it hard to come across a good riff or song that I'd be able to play, i'm nothing special but I'd like to think I was alright. The riffs I've been trying for example would be Morbid Angel, Zyklon type riffs but I'm finding it hard to build up the picking speed and the fluid sound.

Anyone suggest any riffs that would help build up the fast picking technique needed for the above bands ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

You should try learn some Carcass songs. :)

Keep on rotting in the free world is a great one. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pyr0 wrote:
    Anyone suggest any riffs that would help build up the fast picking technique needed for the above bands ?

Not really to be honest.

What you want to do, is practice with a metronome. That's the #1 best way to build speed and accuracy, bar none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 yamaha

Not really to be honest.

What you want to do, is practice with a metronome. That's the #1 best way to build speed and accuracy, bar none!

how would you suggest to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

yamaha wrote:
    how would you suggest to do this
    Pretty simple really. The point of it is that you can set a metronome to an accurate beat. Especially a modern digital metronome.

So you can put it at 60bpm and practice a simple phrase or excercise at 4 notes per beat (for example - the speed and notes pre beat will vary from lick to lick). Concentrating on making sure you are picking cleanly, sounding every note properly, muting strings not being played etc. Getting all the technique perfect while you are still playing very slowly.

Then, once you're comfortable, simply increase the metronome in increments of 5 or 10bpm. Between each tempo change, you'll hardly notice a difference, but over the course of a couple of hours (or days etc, depending on how often you play and what skill level you're at), you'll eventually find yourself at speeds you would have thought impossible previously.

One youre happy with your progression in that particular lick/excercise, move onto another one, starting very slowly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Pyr0 wrote:
    Lately I've been finding it hard to come across a good riff or song that I'd be able to play, i'm nothing special but I'd like to think I was alright. The riffs I've been trying for example would be Morbid Angel, Zyklon type riffs but I'm finding it hard to build up the picking speed and the fluid sound.

Emperor - The Eruption

Learning this song did wonders for my playing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement