Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - Swords - Sat 18 Aug - Problems?

Options
  • 18-08-2007 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭

172727087.png

6972.png

Since about 1200 I'm getting very slow download but upload is okay, I'm on the 3 MB package and usualy I'm getting good speed.

Before I called their support I went through the usual t/s, no filter, other router, other pc, ping this ping that.

So I called them and after the usual "it's your pc, run a spyware check" and the "I do an adjustment to your line" in the 3rd call he finalya agrees there is a problem which he tells me the engineers can't deal with before monday and if they need to come out and find that there is no fault (anymore) that I will need to pay 56€ fee because I might not have done correct trouble shooting.

:mad:

I know way more about IT than the person in the Eircom contact center following scripted steps and the basicly assumes it's me!

Well I have recorded all t/s steps, have screenshots of the speed test results and pings/tracerts so let them say I did not follow their t/s steps and they can look forward to long case of complaints.

I hope BT is unbundeling Swords soon so that I can swap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I've had pretty crappy speeds here too for the past few days. It's usually very good though. Have a 2 Mbps connection. See for yourself:

173070927.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

When I do a Speed check on my 1MB line it sure enough tells me I am getting about 950kbps. However, when I download a file I get about 100kbps or worse (maybe low as 40kpbs :( )

am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

sk8board wrote:
    When I do a Speed check on my 1MB line it sure enough tells me I am getting about 950kbps. However, when I download a file I get about 100kbps or worse (maybe low as 40kpbs :( )

Depends on the server from which you're downloading. It it's swaped with requests, expect worse speeds. If you can, be sure to download from mirrors near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Help!

Something has gone seriously wrong with my eircom bb this evening. I am supposed to be on the 2mb package and i have never had any problems with it, it's always performed well. This evening I've noticed that it is taking an age to load web pages so I checked my line stats to see if things were okay. It now says I'm on a 160kbps dowsnstream package and it also says my sn margin is at a diabolical 1.00 (it's usually 28)!! here are the figures it shows this evening;
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 256
    SN Margin (dB) 1.00 6.50
    Line Attenuation 49.00 29.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

I've tried doing the usual unplug every other filter/phoneline but it makes no difference at all.
    What do I do? What I find strangest is that the part that says what bb package I'm on has changed, which suggests eircom have done something:confused:
    It took me ages to get to boards this evening.
    Also, I live in the countryside and contention has *never* been a problem, in fact I don't think any of my neighbours have bb.

Here is a speedtest I've done-awful!;
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/173789773.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]173789773.png
    Notice the terrible ping and although upload isn't as badly affected as d/l speed it is still below normal (should usually be up to 215kbps).
    I'm baffled- it's like eircom have manually capped my d/l speed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Ok, after restarting my router things seemed to improve for a while with it showing the package I am on (2056 down) and decent sn figures again but then after about 10mins it went crap again with 0 sn margin and 160kbps down again!
    So obviously it is my router. I've changed to the other router I had spare (one eircom sent me by accident-netopia 2247nwg) and after initially not being able to connect at all it seems to be working ok now, except sn margin figures are way crapper than when the original router was working fine (used to be 28 and now is 7). However, my line attenuation figures have oddly dropped to 46:confused: I thought attenuation wasn't supposed to change much as it is an indication of how far you are from the exchange. Here are the stats;
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 7.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 46.50 28.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

And here is a speed test i did- notice how d/l speeds are back to normal but upload is still lower than it should be and noticeably the ping is crap at 186:
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/173821484.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]173821484.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

sk8board wrote:

100 kBps is 800 kbps. Kilobyte is not the same as kilobit. Most 1 Mbit packages have download speeds of around 106 kB/s. Very often, it's a slow server which causes lower speeds if your web browsing is otherwise fine.

Download something from ftp.heanet.ie to get a reasonably accurate estimate of speed.

rc28, that modem does seem a little funny. I've heard of one or two reports of the 2247nwg being more noisy/worse with low margins than the 3347nwg (older though). Once it works anyway.

Advertisement